In praise of the TMax.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

In praise of the TMax.

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I've been riding my Honda Shadow 1100 for the last few months and my TMax has been taking a bit of a backseat, being relegated to shopping duties, etc, but this morning I thought I'd give "Mr T" a bit of an airing to clear out any deposits, etc.(cough) and I have to say ridden like that the TMax is still awesome. I know it's not comparing eggs with eggs but on a purely performance level the TMax does make the Shadow look like a lumbering dinosaur! :lol: And mine is the old Mk 3, without the fly-by-wire throttle and almost due for its 12k service, but it still corners like a sportsbike and accelerates to 100mph with gusto (on private roads of course) :? What a bike!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: In praise of the TMax.

Post by MrGrumpy »

The mk3 was a classic...the handling was such fun! Maybe I'll buy another one when my mk1 shuffles off its mortal coil. With the weather being so crap and the roads so caked in grime and salt, I haven't used the mk6 as much as I'd like. Its only done 2000 miles since June!

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Post by tmaxrobbo »

On mine today to work it is a fantastic bike . I stupidly put a PUIG sport screen on it in Black . Was frozen to death when I got to work (20 miles 5 degree C ) Also much more wind resistance with the smaller screen. Idiot I am !!

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

Agreed. I've got the latest DX, Mk something or other whatever it is, never had a TMax before. I'm a proper bike person at heart but as far as maxi scooters go, this is one hell of a good machine.

Kinda makes you feel sorry for people on other maxis like the Burger. ;)

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

All you rich fanbois will like this then: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests/yam ... erm-review
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

I''ll probably miss my MK3 after I have put it back to standard and sold it... now that I am getting a NC750X, but the extra power and the fact it is so much newer will probably help me get over it. :D
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Aaron
Current Ride: Yamaha Tmax Tech Max 2022

Post by Aaron »

I've had my Mk 4 Tmax now for 5 months. Got it with 10,000 Km on the clock. Ride it 25km to work each morning. Really like it. I had a Majesty 400 for 6 years previous to the Tmax.

Always liked the Tmax since I first saw one back in 2001. Only took me 17 years later to get one....

Been summer here, so once winter arrives I have a taller Givi screen for it, and I plan to get the Yamaha heated seat for it.

Rode it the other night for the fist time in the dark. Boy..........found out the low beam headlight was pointing straight down to the road. I couldn't see anything up ahead. Was waiting for a kangaroo to jump out in front of me..........if it had I would he been buggered. So job for me this weekend............fix the low beam headlight.

Aaron

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Having said all that though, the Silverwing does look like a more comfortable long distance tourer. ;)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

2wheelover51 wrote:Having said all that though, the Silverwing does look like a more comfortable long distance tourer. ;)
Arguable....the Tmax has a lot more space for the rider. Ride quality varies a bit between models, but usually holds up well on poor roads.

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Yes, that's something I wonder about. The Silverwing has 13 and 14 inch wheels and journalists at the time criticized the suspension as being a bit harsh. I find the Tmaxes suspension fine, but the seating position I find a bit exposed and sitting "on top of" rather than "in". The Silverwing feels more "in" since you're lower down and more sort of tucked in, which I think would give better comfort on longer rides. It also has a lower seat height which would appeal. Having said that I've only sat on a Silverwing in the dealers, and not actually ridden. I'm thinking of getting something a bit better for on the motorway. While I love my TMax I realise there are better tourers about both motorcycle and scooter options and the Silverwing is defininitely an option. So is an FJ1200 of which there is a lovely example in a dealer near me.
So many bikes, so little time.. :lol: