New Xmax 300

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Re: New Xmax 300

Post by Greyerbeard »

RobiXmax wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:49 pm Greetings all. Having ridden my XMax through (most) of the winter its high time I fitted heated grips or muffs. Has anyone got either of these fitted - ideally the official Yamaha parts - and if so, are they any good? I have decent gloves but not enough to keep the fingers toasty...
Yes I have the Yamaha heated grips from new; and fit my Tucano Urbano muffs over the winter months - both effective and very welcome.
The muffs keep the rain and wind off and they have a rigid insert so don't collapse onto the brake levers.
I almost never need the grips higher than 'low', have never had any battery problems and don't charge it while not in use. Not 2 years old yet though!
1964 Matchless G3
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

Ralph wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:11 am Strange how most don't seem to have a problem at all yet a few are
having problems.
My dealer (Hammonds in Cirencester) couldn't come up with any reason why it should happen. They've had the problem with discs with a 3-bolt fixing, but the X-Max is 5-bolt and, as you say, it's not common.
I'm not a heavy braker, I don't do anything otherwise unusual with it, etc...
1964 Matchless G3
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

X-max has a 175W output about 12 amps, a Burgman 400 is about 330w about 23 amps.
but the led lights will likely lower the load so it will win a few amps back there, I've had
no problems and it sits at 14 volts on tickover with all the lights on.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

spdtwn
Current Ride: Vespa Sei Giorni HPE + MP3 250

Post by spdtwn »

Fitted heated grips to T Max many years back. Not satisfied, still got cold hands. Got a pair of Gerbring's heated gloves-brilliant. What a difference , no cold hands for the first time ever. The heating elements run along the back of the glove-where the veins are. Makes sense,warming up the blood. I believe there are some other makes-probably less expensive-on the market, however I never regretted the cost. To have warm hands...luxury!

Ralph

Post by Ralph »

I do a thing called The Round Britain Rally, it's run on line and is a scatter rally were you visit locations all over
Britain and get points for everyone visited, a great excuse for a good ride out and you see places you would
not usually see.

This year there were 249 enterents 69 were on Hondas 64 on BMW and 40 on Triumphs, as well as small
numbers of other makes, 3 were on X-max 300's mine and 2 others one of which was top of the list with
maximum points, which if nothing else shows just how capable the X-max is.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

RobiXmax
Current Ride: Yamaha XMax 300

Post by RobiXmax »

Slight change of topic. I would be interested to hear folk's views on the screen at different heights. I think the xmax gives decent protection but I get a ton of windnoise in the helmet even with plugs in. I haven't tried the higher settings yet and it could be I just have a noisy helmet. I'm 6ft.

Ralph

Post by Ralph »

I have tried the screen in the higher position but prefer it in the lower,
biggest problem for me in the high position is I am looking right at the
screen edge and find it difficult to spot pot holes and such, only way
to tell if it suits you is to try it, I did find moving the bars to the forward
position a big improvement.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

lenny
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by lenny »

I owned mine for just over 12 months in '17 and with the screen in either position it did not work for me either. I fitted the Yamaha sports screen and this was much better for me, but I am a fine weather pleasure rider so poor conditions was.nt an issue.

RobiXmax
Current Ride: Yamaha XMax 300

Post by RobiXmax »

Just retunred from visiting the mother in law for a spot of lunch today which is a 220 mile round trip mainly on dual carriageway (A14). It;s the most miles U've covered in one day and certainly the longest I've sustained high speed cruising. Generally really really impressed. Mine is super smooth at arounf 6-6.5k revs (70-75mph) and feels like it will do it all day long. Managed 102mpg with a tail-wind which dropped to 94 mpg on the way home. Very strong cross winds today which weren't much fun. No problems at all with comfort. Great protection of the chest from the screen but rather too noisy around the head. Unti today, I must admit I didn't realise why some folks were complaining about the suspension which on my commute feels fine - but now I get it. Parts of the A14 have large sections of patched in tarmac and tarmac strips which are raised over the road surface...I got completely ejected from the seat several times and was actually cursing the lack of damping the forks on the way home which can feel very harsh on a poor surface at higher speeds. It does feel built to a budget at anything over about 60mph. Other than that though, I was very impressed that a 300cc scooter can cover those miles so efficiently and I arrived feeling so good on a cold and windy day (at least as fresh as on my old VFR). I really must get heted grips tho....my fingers had completely gone by the time I got home in 5 degrees c.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

I agree with the posters about the screen. I tried it at both heights and eventually settled on the lower, for better visibility.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should