New Xmax 300

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: New Xmax 300

Post by MrGrumpy »

Ralph wrote:Must admit given the chose I would prefare to stick a key in a slot.
Yes...I find the keyless system is more hassle than its worth.

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

I find nothing wrong with a smart key/keyless system. Had this before on my BMW RT and it worked just fine, as it does on the T DX. My car is also keyless. Hassle? Wot hassle? It is ace.

My other bike has a key but I don't see any advantage, in fact it's marginally more hassle because you actually have to put it in the slot and turn it to operate the bike or steering lock. Not difficult of course but if we're comparing hassles, a key has more.

ramasay
Benefactor
Current Ride: None

Post by ramasay »

I also dislike the s/key system. On my 400 the m/key is seperate and not contained within the s/key unit so I just keep the two together. At least the 400 gets two m/keys, so one is always at home, copy of the emergency procedure is kept in my jacket and the code disguised as a phone no. in the mobile.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

I like the way I can keep the key in my trouser pocket, put my waterproofs on and still be able to start my SH300. Then take off waterproofs to get keys to remove helmet and gloves from topbox.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Just had a look n a poke, glad I did some gorilla had got the fuel cap jammed
sorted now but could have been a bugger if out somewhere and short of fuel,
Instruments are like the 400 with the dog leg temp and fuel gauge, seat seems
a bit more fancy and seems to have more room but that could be me, starts
and runs as it should all I need now is for the ice n snow to go.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

rayb wrote:I like the way I can keep the key in my trouser pocket, put my waterproofs on and still be able to start my SH300. Then take off waterproofs to get keys to remove helmet and gloves from topbox.
Yeah, but on the Tmax you are supposed to turn the key off when not using it to maximise battery life and to aid security, so you are always faffing with the key anyway, and need other keys for topbox, locks or other stuff.

kermitoo

Post by kermitoo »

Hi, Good advices regarding emergency key and codes etc...I got used to keys so that will be a novelty...will feel a bit at ease when i sussed it all out though...I am picking mine up at the end of this month and can hardly wait either...by then the snow will have melted ...My dealer rang me saying they couldn't lower the seat due to the plastic underneath the leather so lets hope i will find high heels to be able to put the feet down..;) that should be fun...Mind you I can always change my mind about the whole thing too!!!...Can hardly wait for yours posts Ralph to see how you find it...See you around one of these days !

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

kermitoo wrote:Hi, Good advices regarding emergency key and codes etc...I got used to keys so that will be a novelty...will feel a bit at ease when i sussed it all out though...I am picking mine up at the end of this month and can hardly wait either...by then the snow will have melted ...My dealer rang me saying they couldn't lower the seat due to the plastic underneath the leather so lets hope i will find high heels to be able to put the feet down..;) that should be fun...Mind you I can always change my mind about the whole thing too!!!...Can hardly wait for yours posts Ralph to see how you find it...See you around one of these days !
You'll soon get used to the seat height. I can only get both feet down on tippy-toe but it's not a problem.

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

MrGrumpy wrote: Yeah, but on the Tmax you are supposed to turn the key off when not using it to maximise battery life and to aid security, so you are always faffing with the key anyway, and need other keys for topbox, locks or other stuff.
The only "faffing" on the T is turning the key off when not using it and back on when you are, takes no time at all. If I just stop for a brief period, say when filling up or a quick coffee, I don't bother to turn it off so don't even need to get it out of my pocket or touch it at all and can lock the steering if I wish, again without taking it out so it's pretty fafless in my opinion compared with a manual key. Same with my car, as long as I have the smart key on me, I can open the doors, start up then lock the doors when I leave, all without having to faff with a manual key. A very useful bit of recent tech in my view.

Incidentally I took the m-key out of the s-key unit for the first time yesterday after the discussion here, and noticed that the code is printed just under where the m-key slots into the holder. So if the s-key fails to work, you have the m-key and code already present. You just need the es instructions. Of course if you lose the whole s-key unit, you are stuffed until you can get hold of the spare m-key and the code. Think I'll get a further spare cut to carry with me, as you said, they don't cost much.

Not all new bikes have keyless, even high end machines, I've just bought a pricey new proper bike and it comes with, yuk, a physical key. I stared hard at this strange object wondering what exactly this bit of prehistoic tech did, a bit of jagged metal. I finally figured out that you have to take it out of your pocket, stick it in the female opposite on the bike known as an ignition switch, turn it and then the bike comes to life. To stop you then have to turn it to off and withdraw it to avoid theft and stick it back in your pocket and if you want to lock the steering you have to turn it in the ignition switch the other way and then withdraw it. It's quaint if you like retro stuff but dear me, what a faff!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

abitmad wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote: Yeah, but on the Tmax you are supposed to turn the key off when not using it to maximise battery life and to aid security, so you are always faffing with the key anyway, and need other keys for topbox, locks or other stuff.
The only "faffing" on the T is turning the key off when not using it and back on when you are, takes no time at all. If I just stop for a brief period, say when filling up or a quick coffee, I don't bother to turn it off so don't even need to get it out of my pocket or touch it at all and can lock the steering if I wish, again without taking it out so it's pretty fafless in my opinion compared with a manual key. Same with my car, as long as I have the smart key on me, I can open the doors, start up then lock the doors when I leave, all without having to faff with a manual key. A very useful bit of recent tech in my view.
Yeah, but to avoid the key falling out of pockets, getting dropped into underseat luggage space, for better or worse I have the key on a lanyard and wear it round my neck. The downside of that is that to turn it off/on, I have to scrabble round undoing jackets etc.

It's so much more inconvenient than the system on my Suzuki car where you just carry the key around and never need to touch it - there are buttons on doors etc. And whilst the key has a battery, the system still works when the battery is flat as it responds to signals from the car (when car buttons are pressed) rather than sending signals to the car only.