Noisey sh 300?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Noisey sh 300?

Post by Snail »

Hi, you may remember me moaning about the different sound my motor was making?

Despite my dealer assuring me nothing was wrong and the exhaust was not at fault?

I decided to look myself, removed the silencer Christ this is heavy! And the exhaust pipe was flopping around like a prick in a tophat!

After removing the maintenance cover, found the nuts on the cylinder head / manifold to be tight they are domed nuts so can't go anymore, so off it came, not easy to get at but with quarter drive sockets and universal joints it was done without any more plastics off

Surprise no gasket in there??? Recess where it is supposed to go, ordered new gaskets and refitted it with loads of copper slip, all nice and correct now sounds normal again!

Conclusion? My dealer fitted a new rear tyre at last service, exhaust had to come off to do this and to wiggle silencer from pipe manifold nuts need to be slackened off, gasket just fell out??

Hmmm, not good is it? So if your SH sounds a bit different after having a new tyre you know where to look!

Do you think Honda could of made it easier to remove the wheel

Snail

Re: Noisey sh 300?

Post by Snail »

Ok, on to the next job, it had been suggested because we are town riding mostly and two up all the time that my clutch shoes could be glazed over? Giving me a slow off the mark response? Does that sound reasonable? Looking at the drawings I see three shoes like a brake shoe set up, not a multiplate, so is it an easy job to get it apart and rough up the shoes with sand paper? Any special tools required?
Thanks snail

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

I'm getting my wheels replaced under warranty when it has its 600 mile service, so I'll look out for that. I wonder if they'll replace the tyres as well.

Snail

Post by Snail »

What's wrong with your wheels?

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Snail wrote:...not easy to get at but with quarter drive sockets and universal joints it was done...

Conclusion? My dealer fitted a new rear tyre at last service, exhaust had to come off to do this and to wiggle silencer from pipe manifold nuts need to be slackened off, gasket just fell out??

Hmmm, not good is it? So if your SH sounds a bit different after having a new tyre you know where to look!

Do you think Honda could of made it easier to remove the wheel
Interesting Post...
Sometimes the gasket wont come out and / or isn't apparent in the head - so end up with another gasket trying to be squeezed in...
Or the bloody thing keeps dropping out every time you touch it with the 'zorts...

I also stick em in with a dab of coppa slip...

I do so wish they would not penny pinch and at least make the 'zorst down pipe <Stainless Please!> and end can, rather than a single length jobbie...

One reason I always do wheels and tyres myself, had a broken shock absorber top from a Tyre Monkey trying to take short cuts...

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Snail wrote:What's wrong with your wheels?
The front tyre was leaking air around the beading. When they took the tyre off, they found the inside of the rim was corroded. They couldn't explain what the cause was a Honda agreed to swap them out. There was corrosion around the area that was leaking, which they cleaned up but I still need to put a few puffs of air in every day. It drops around 2-3 psi.

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Snail I reckon if you just remove the crank cover case then the clutch bell you’ll be able to deglaze the clutch with some fine sandpaper - I use a rattle gun to remove however you should obtain a holding tool to enable you to torque up the clutch bell nut to the correct spec

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

rayb wrote:
Snail wrote:What's wrong with your wheels?
The front tyre was leaking air around the beading. When they took the tyre off, they found the inside of the rim was corroded. They couldn't explain what the cause was a Honda agreed to swap them out. There was corrosion around the area that was leaking, which they cleaned up but I still need to put a few puffs of air in every day. It drops around 2-3 psi.
ooh thats not good.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Snail

Post by Snail »

Symcity wrote:Snail I reckon if you just remove the crank cover case then the clutch bell you’ll be able to deglaze the clutch with some fine sandpaper - I use a rattle gun to remove however you should obtain a holding tool to enable you to torque up the clutch bell nut to the correct spec
Hi yes I made my pin spanner/ tool today have the clutch bell off now, shoes do look glazed, springs feel ok, there is lots of excess lining material either side of each shoe stuck on? Not sure if this is from lining wear or excess to help bonding on to the shoe, do you know if shoes are available or on eBay they seem to be selling exchange clutches complete around £40, will take a photo later makes it easier to understand?
Thanks for your input

Snail

Post by Snail »

Clutch shoe/ linings
292018171356.jpg