Noisey sh 300?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Re: Noisey sh 300?

Post by Snail »

Clutch linings
292018171135.jpg

Snail

Post by Snail »

I did deglaze the shoes and it has made it better getting off the mark, think probably new clutch needed this autumn as 50% worn, so at two years old and maybe 6500 miles by then new clutch and belt will have been fitted?
I will persevere but belt drive is not really suitable for us I feel if this sort of maintenance is needed regularly it will get expensive to run, will think long and hard about what I want to do?

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

You are not giving it enough revs when taking off, do not try to run it in low gear as you may a geared machine. Open the throttle to move off do not just open it a little, the amount you would think you need to take the strain. Give it some beans, you do not need to do a racing start but you need to get the clutch to grip and not slip too much...they do that enough as it is in the way they are designed to work.
Lyn. PS: they don't all do this..

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Kayz1 is right to mention "use plenty of throttle" on move off. Dry cvt clutches appreciate being used like that rather than slipping it at move off. Low throttle move offs cause glazing early on. If you take a bigger handful of throttle to move you off in a timely manner you can then regulate your speed once you feel the clutch lock up. As Kayz1 mentions, you are not trying to do a racing start, but just feed in more throttle as you start to move and the clutch will slip much less. It's better for the bike and especially the clutch. Another thing to bear in mind is to use a small flat block of wood to mount your sandpaper on when you de-glaze the clutch. Otherwise you may find you will get judder from the clutch at move off after a few hundred miles. This is because if you use just your fingers to sand the shoes you will introduce unevenness to the contact surfaces which traps dust and causes uneven heating of the shoe surfaces causing resin from the shoes to stick inside the clutch drum. I wouldn't worry about belt drive not being suitable for you and your wife. It's just you are not quite used to the moving off technique. It's something most of us have to learn. Many on here and the various Honda sites use their bike just like you covering huge mileages without any problems with the clutches. :o Good luck though and keep us all informed of how you are getting on. ;)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Is it because of the two-up weight that they need to do this? With just my 70Kg on the bike a handful of throttle will have me in the hedge!

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

I ride mostly two up and havn't noticed a problem (yet), I do use throttle on start off , then as speed picks up I reduce throttle. I dont think you will have a problem Ray.
When I had my silverwing, to de glaze the clutch when it made a whinning noise I held both brakes on and opened the throttle till I could smell the clutch getting hot (only about 7 seconds), that used to sort the clutch noise out.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Snail

Post by Snail »

Thanks for your comments, yes I am probably not giving it enough throttle, I'm always being told I have too much mechanical sympathy, mind you I think last year in the lakes may have punished it, as you can imagine the passes were so steep with slow accute bends the clutch was probably slipping continuously? Being loaded as well probably not the best terrain for a cvt scooter it was a punishing month for it

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

6500 ain't good for a drive belt