Honda x-adv test ride

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Re: Honda x-adv test ride

Post by Dave Weller »

same as what we did on the Vanvans, Poundland do some rubber mats, and make good fender extenders and rear shock protectors, all for £1.
I did look at some wide rear mudguard plastic, but you really need to have some examples available and offer them up to the scoot. Even when fully compressed i assume there is space to fit something.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

phantom309
Current Ride: nc750sa

Post by phantom309 »

i also test rode one an loved it apart from height an price....same as the africa twin i loved it . just can't justify the huge price , an the new one is taller
Good friends don't let you do stupids thing alone .

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

The x adv is running well,was away last weekend with the x9 forum and it lead most of the rides throughout the weekend,its now got heated grips,sat nav has been hard wired and i’ve fitted a hugger and spray guard,it loved the Snake Pass and the other lanes in the Peaks,we were blessed by glorious weather and a brilliant pub half a mile away from our hotel that has won awards for its Ales,was also a sausage & cider festival there as well.....

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Used mine as weapon of choice to "ride slab" to Oxford to visit family.

Friday traffic awful mile after mile of filtering a few nears due to bar width without mentioning the last minute lane changers (Romanian Sprinter van) white line huggers.
Wet roads & used the heated grips.

A40 best one, woman who couldn't sit at speed limit behind me overtook then stuck in queue 200 yards further on but sat right on white line thinking I couldn't pass. Wrong and lots of waving by me as I passed.

Trip home bottlenecks on major roads so I hoofed it off onto A414 and played on back roads through the Rodings etc but to tired & hot to do the bends justice.

I thought the X-ADV had the most comfortable seat ever but had to shuffle my arse on both 3 hour rides

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

Three hours is a long time to be in any saddle,so you done well,1.5 hours riding and i tend to stop even just for 10 mins,i have a Airhawk seat pad,used it on the Burgman for the longer runs and weekends away,i got it after 5 days and about 1500 miles on a Scotland trip,i struggled to walk or sit down for about 4 days when i got back,the Tmax seat height is higher than the Burgman was,i tried it on that this weekend and still was ok getting my feet on the ground,my mate wanted to try it for a few days on his Big Burgman as he’s getting arse-ache,so once i get it back from him i will try it on the X adv,although i was comfortable on my Peaks trip.....

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Oddly, i never suffer from arse aches on the Tmax - I guess my derrierre has lots of its own padding - but I do get a slight left shoulder/lower neck pain after an hour or so. Left hand side, but not right!

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

MrGrumpy wrote:Oddly, i never suffer from arse aches on the Tmax - I guess my derrierre has lots of its own padding - but I do get a slight left shoulder/lower neck pain after an hour or so. Left hand side, but not right!
Used to when I first had a MK3 but after a few months I never got it until I was on a 6-7 hour ride that by 5.5 hours my ass started aching.

The longest I had ridden the NC750x, which according to quite a lot of owners has a very hard seat, was about 2 hours straight and I never had an issue.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

sad vampire
Current Ride: NC750 DCT+Aprilia Atlantic 500

Post by sad vampire »

Sat on an x-adv afew weeks ago in a showroom whilst looking for a replacement for the super comfy Aprilia Atlantic 500. Hated the x-adv seat as soon as I sat on it, too hard, bad angle, & too high.

We are all different when it comes to being comfortable on a bike.

Comfort on the bikes I've ridden:

Honda MTX125 - managed 7 hours ride, fairly comfy
Honda C90 - managed 6 hours, fairly comfy
Honda NTV-600 Revere - I can ride these bikes all day without problems, super comfy saddle
Piaggio X9-500 - Very uncomfortable, could only manage 20 miles before I had to take a break
Aprilia Atlantic 500 - All day comfort, it's like an armchair
Moto Guzzi V65 Lario - 2 hours before wanting a short break, comfy enough for a bike that loves the twisties
Honda FJS600 Silverwing - So far pretty good, done a couple of hundred miles without too much of a problem

Tmaximus
Current Ride: TMax BMW R1200GS Aprilia RSV4

Post by Tmaximus »

Hi Guys ... just a few thoughts on the X-ADV, I have done around 7000 miles on mine over the last year, great scoot with amazing handling, but you do loose a bit of storage & weather protection, however I have done 600 miles on mine over 24 hours quite easily ... Glasgow / Derby return. To make up for slight lack of storage i used my TMax tunnel bag to carry additional overnight stuff.

I have dropped my forks 8mm through the yokes, the bike steers a bit quicker with no loss of stability and can really hustle on back roads .... both my centre stand feelers are worn ! The standard tyres are good in the dry but poor in the wet, I have Michelin Pilot Road 4's on mine .. bike front / scooter rear, good combination in all conditions.

If I had not already fitted the Honda heated grips then I would have cut about 40mm per side off the handlebars as they are a bit too wide for aggressive filtering.

Finally, I fitted a UK manufactured hugger and returned it as it was dangerous, it fitted over the existing plastic chain guard with only 3 screws and touched the tyre. I think that for the time being I just need to live with the spray off the back tyre as I dont want to remove the standard chain guard to fit a hugger.

Overall, its a great bike, as I said Glasgow / Derby return over 24 hours, and also 2 up Glasgow / Scarborough for a short vacation with all my wife's "essential" clutter strapped to the bike !

Cheers

TMaximus

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Thanks. It had some sort of 'adventure' tyre on as OE if I remember...B.stone Trailwings or similar?? I'd have imagined that they'd be OK in the wet but crap in the dry, which shows how wrong you can be. If I had bought one, I'm pretty sure that PR4s or similar would have been on the wanted list.
I remember reading years OK how a mag swapped the dual purpose tyres on a BMW GS for normal sport touring ones, and finding that the handling was amazing.