Honda x-adv test ride

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Honda x-adv test ride

Post by Stephen »

Couple of the lads i ride with have Honda’s with the DCT gear box and have indeed raved about them,at last i got around to trying one........

I got to the dealer filled in all the forms,after a brief DCT lesson i was off,took a few miles to get the hang of the bike and gear box,what a lovely bit of kit,used it in drive & sport modes,flicking the controls to change gear myself when i thought it was needed,the machine i was on had only done 270 miles,i cranked it up a bit on a main A road,good turn of speed,it was raining,obviously weather protection is not as good as what i am used to on the Burgman and if i wanted to raise the screen i needed to stop and manually adjust it,i like the fact you can see what gear you are in,the model i was on onlly had drive & sport modes,2018 models have the 3 sport modes as well as traction control,brakes were good,seat seemed comfortable enough,although when stopped,if one foot was flat on the ground i was on tip toe with the other foot,not entirely safe,but i could possibly get away with it until i put my foot in a pot hole of the road had a adverse camber,my helmet would not fit under the seat as i have the Bluetooth attachment on the side.Overall a great machine,will i buy one........i dont think-so,seat height and underseat storage being the two main reasons......if only they could put a DCT gear box in to the Burgman.

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Re: Honda x-adv test ride

Post by Luckydave »

I test rode one too and agree it was a nice ride but found it difficult getting on/off with my gammy knees lol. Plus lack of storage,I realy liked the gearbox and the way it handled too but will hang onto my Burgman

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

Mine is a 2017 model and it has the 3 sport modes..You can also get extended dog bones to lower the bike up to 30mm at the rear.
Lyn.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

a friend ( colin) has lowered his 30mm and its far easier now to 'mount'. Underseat storage on a bike like this will always be limited, but don't they come with a top box?
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Post by Luckydave »

I was told there was no lowering kit available for it 12 months ago when I rode one,Topbox and sidecases available for it I think

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I detailed my test ride experiences on here about a year ago. Whilst the DCT was fine, somehow I expected it to be better and offer something more to the riding experience than a simple CVT, given the complexity and all the computing power, but it didn't. I found S2 or S3 mode the only bearable ones, being far too stodgy in D mode. The thing I really didn't like was the engine....I know its actually performs well, and is economical, but I found it no fun.
The rest of the scoot was OK - I found the wind protection better than expected. The ground is a long way away though!!!

kayz1
Benefactor

Post by kayz1 »

I have a set of dog bones in my shed i never fitted..£68 posted.

kayz1
Benefactor

Post by kayz1 »

MrGrumpy wrote:I detailed my test ride experiences on here about a year ago. Whilst the DCT was fine, somehow I expected it to be better and offer something more to the riding experience than a simple CVT, given the complexity and all the computing power, but it didn't. I found S2 or S3 mode the only bearable ones, being far too stodgy in D mode. The thing I really didn't like was the engine....I know its actually performs well, and is economical, but I found it no fun.
The rest of the scoot was OK - I found the wind protection better than expected. The ground is a long way away though!!!
Tis like asking why does a dog like to stick it's head out of the car window and get the wind in it's face.
If you don't get it you don't get it...it is a different kind of scooter that's all, the engine is designed that way for a reason.
But the world would be a crap place if we all liked the same things :lol:
Lyn...PS: it's not raining/blowing a gale or snowing today :o

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

I love mine, it fits me perfectly although could be a bit taller.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

kayz1
Benefactor

Post by kayz1 »

Funkycowie wrote:I love mine, it fits me perfectly although could be a bit taller.

That good to know Peter with you being SO long with the T-MAX family :D
Lyn.