Tyres/punctures

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Re: Tyres/punctures

Post by Data »

Grumpy, did you follow the instructions for removing the the nail or screw? Its different for each. After removing the screw or nail did you follow the instructions listed in detail in the PunctureSafe leaflet, to get the hole to seal? Most folks that follow the instructions don't get a problem and it seals. Of course, sometimes the tyre is just too damaged to seal. But that's rare in my experience. Hope you didn't get stranded!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Data wrote:Grumpy, did you follow the instructions for removing the the nail or screw? Its different for each. After removing the screw or nail did you follow the instructions listed in detail in the PunctureSafe leaflet, to get the hole to seal?
OK, I did get that wrong when I picked up a huge screw, but the tyre was seriously deflating anyway. And the other occasion the gunge didn't work and I came to a halt with a flat tyre.

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

Just to be contrary :D .....no, to be honest, I've never used Puncturesafe, so I can't comment.

I carry plugs with a the accompanying reamer and glue. TipTop has worked for me but I now have those sticky stringy plugs, with pump. Have not used them since ordering though. But will order the CO2 gas.

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

The thing with the gas bottles is that they deteriorate with age so if not used after a couple of years, you need to replace them plus, make sure you get ones with the plastic netting on or wear gloves as I have heard that they freeze when in use and can stick to your skin.
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

I think it fair to say that Puncturesafe will deal with punctures but not holes - if you see what I mean.
I experienced a very dramatic sudden deflation of the rear tyre on my then X9500 at 60+MPH. The riders following heard the bang.
There was no way any substance could cope with that!
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Waldorf wrote:I think it fair to say that Puncturesafe will deal with punctures but not holes - if you see what I mean.
Hmmm no, sorry, I'm struggling to tell the difference between a puncture and a hole, as AFAIK a puncture is a hole in the tyre!! Or is it a matter of size?

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I think it's safe to say a puncture is where the tyre has been penetrated but none of the rubber has been lost, whereas a hole the penetrating object will have removed some of the rubber..
Just my interpretation.. ;)

caecilius
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Post by caecilius »

I've just taken delivery of some PunctureSafe on the recommendation of Data and Waldorf. I've been carrying a puncture kit and gas canisters around for the last years but I never used them. I did have a rear wheel puncture once - which I only knew about when the Beverly's traction control detected it and started messing with the engine management. But on that occasion I chickened out of using the kit and hobbled to the nearest garage and pumped up sufficiently to get home.
I hope the Puncturesafe will take care of me in future. It seems to make blowouts manageable, so that has to be a good thing.
Alan

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

2wheelover51 wrote:I think it's safe to say a puncture is where the tyre has been penetrated but none of the rubber has been lost, whereas a hole the penetrating object will have removed some of the rubber..
Just my interpretation.. ;)
Exactly, thank you.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

chris
Current Ride: 2011 Sym Symply 50

Post by chris »

Had to get my tyre replaced a couple of weeks ago, managed to pick up an extension bar from a 1/4 inch drive socket, just lying on the dual carriageway, I did swear a lot!!
Racking up the miles...............slowly!! icon_moped.gif :lol: