Tyres/punctures

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Scootypuff snr

Re: Tyres/punctures

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Isn't puncture safe the one approved by post office

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Scootypuff snr wrote:Isn't puncture safe the one approved by post office
Could explain why the post comes at any hour of the day... :lol:

Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Post by Snail »

Thanks for your views, seems in favour of a tyre sealant at the moment, is Puncture safe the one you see at shows etc with the screwdriver sticking out of it?

Snail

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

Scootypuff snr wrote:
Data wrote:Those pressurised gas cannisters are a good idea too. Nice one Sylar!
Was under the impression those cartridges (I carry) are nitrogen & it takes 4 to half inflate a tyre. Further you can't mix them with air has to be one or t'other
LoL. Air is 78% nitrogen.
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Steve_D wrote:
Scootypuff snr wrote:
Data wrote:Those pressurised gas cannisters are a good idea too. Nice one Sylar!
Was under the impression those cartridges (I carry) are nitrogen & it takes 4 to half inflate a tyre. Further you can't mix them with air has to be one or t'other
LoL. Air is 78% nitrogen.
It's that 0.0005% Helium that's critical. It reduces the kerb weight. :)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Snail wrote:Thanks for your views, seems in favour of a tyre sealant at the moment, is Puncture safe the one you see at shows etc with the screwdriver sticking out of it?

Snail
No that seems to be something called Bike-seal (bikeseal.com). I believe that something called Punctureseal (pink gunge) was one of the better products in the past but avoid Slime (green gunge) which seems to be useless, even by the standard of these gunges.

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

Ah, I have to say that green 'Slime’ has got two of my friends bikes all the way home from the South of France at motorway speeds AND can be washed out with water to carry out a proper repair if required.
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Scootypuff snr wrote:
They are more likely to be CO2, a spin off from the fizzy drinks/carbonated water/soda syphon business. But even if they are Nitrogen rest assured it is highly compatible with air ( air already being 80% nitrogen of course). There is also a certain amount of CO2 in the atmosphere but contrary to conventional wisdom its a very tiny proportion ( 0.04% where there are no local concentrations).
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Yep, PunctureSafe is actually Ultraseal as sold in the US. It's blue in colour but come sin a pink box now. It's the best you can buy and is water soluble and washes out of the tyres so a normal repair can be carried out if you want. But why would you do that? If it seals it won't leak again from that place and it's permanent and far safer than a plug or vulcanised repair. You can see it demonstrated at the NEC bike show and lots of others shows too. We used it in the Military, the US marines use it, the Post Office over here used it for years but no longer do so I'm told. Lots of fleet commercial trucks use it too. Too many to mention here.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Data wrote:Yep, PunctureSafe is actually Ultraseal as sold in the US. It's blue in colour but come sin a pink box now. It's the best you can buy You can see it demonstrated at the NEC bike show and lots of others shows too. We used it in the Military, the US marines use it, the Post Office over here used it for years but no longer do so I'm told. Lots of fleet commercial trucks use it too. Too many to mention here.
So....why did it fail to work for me...twice?