Tyres/punctures

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Tyres/punctures

Post by Snail »

A question for all you long distance tourers and commuters, do you use a puncture proof slime product in your tyres?

If you do which product have you found best to work reliably?

What happens went you have to change the tyre, does it make a mess hard to clean up for the poor tyre fitter?

Can you feel it in there does it affect handling?

I use it in our pushbikes can't tell the difference?

Thanks snail

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Re: Tyres/punctures

Post by smeghead »

I use a sealant in my GTS tyres. I cannot feel a difference in the handling of the scooter. Regarding the tyre fitter, I don't care, it's his problem.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

I put it in the Innova which is tubed and couldn't tell any difference.

What about plugs? Do you carry them?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I have used various gunges, but don't now. I didn't notice any difference in the handling. When changing tyres, it takes around 30secs and a wet rag for the poor tyre fitter to clean the gunge off the wheel, so no probs there.
Why did I stop using it? I had at least two occasions where the gunge failed to work - I know that its worked wonderfully for others, but not for me. And the snag is that if it doesn't work, you are then up shite creek without a paddle. Without the gunge, you can do a temporary plug - being useless, I get the AA man to do this for me. With the gunge, this is impossible, as the gunge drives the plug back out - you need trailering off to dealer. So I decided that its safer to not have the gunge and call the AA man out when needed. At least you'll be on your way in an hour or so.
btw I didn't find that it extended tyre life as the makers sometimes claim.

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

I use Puncturesafe - used to be Ultraseal - available by post.
I have had no difficulty with wheel-balance after adding it; I do follow the instructions carefully.
None of the tyre-fitters who've changed tyres for me have raised any objection to it. It is water-soluble so washes off easily.
I have used it in all my maxis and can only assume it does what it says.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

I used OKO in tubed tyres but nothing in tubeless just carry tyre weld and a plug set "just in case" but since I've stopped commuting needed neither (tempting fate) & in fact binned several cans of tyre foam as they where so old & battered buy having squirted them in the bin appeared to still be functional.

As for the tyre repair I've heard tales of being charged an extra tenner but like the others " tyre fitters problem" im paying

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

I too use PunctureSafe. Picked up a nail in the rear tyre just two weeks ago. Put bike on stand, located said nail, got ready with a spanner (to tap around the hole in tyre after pulling nail out), pulled nail out, spun tyre and hole sealed immediately without need to tap the tyre around the hole. As per the instructions, tapping the tyre knocks the PunctureSafe off the tyre walls and into the hole in case it is slow to seal. So far I have had more than half a dozen punctures seal ok and permanently using this sealant in my Burgman and GTS alone. Unlike plugs or professional repairs, there is no speed restriction placed upon Puncturesafe repaired tyres, as they have been tested to 176mph after repair without any problems. My GTS can't wait to get to that speed. And, the repairs are safe according to the 'Special Tyre Wind Association' :lol: who pass and supply all wind for all our tyres! As long as the hole is within the normal limits of a hole that you would normally safely repair. If the hole is a big bugger, maybe too big, then Puncturesafe will just seal it and then start to leach blue colourant to warn you the tyre needs replacing. It's never let me down but it's important to follow the instructions if a puncture or nail is found in the tyre. Many folks don't understand what to do and get it wrong so sometimes the sealant won't work. I've also used it on my company Burgman 650, my GSX1400 and my Vstrom 1000, all of which suffered punctures, successfully repaired with Puncturesafe.

PS. If you are wondering why I get so many punctures, it's because I used to ride upto 40,000 miles a year for work. Don't do that now but I just seem to attract metal objects into my tyres.
PPS. Make sure you carry a small hand pump, available from Halfords bike dept.You want the one with the proper valve thingy to fit your motorcycle/scooter. That way you can make up any small lose of air. I always carry one under the seat.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

I go through a set of tyres yearly, so, I only once used a tyre sealer. I carry a plug kit with some pressurized tubes that inflate the tyre after plugging. Only needed the kit once in seven years

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Those pressurised gas cannisters are a good idea too. Nice one Sylar!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Data wrote:Those pressurised gas cannisters are a good idea too. Nice one Sylar!
Was under the impression those cartridges (I carry) are nitrogen & it takes 4 to half inflate a tyre. Further you can't mix them with air has to be one or t'other