Tmax variator

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Tmax variator

Post by MrGrumpy »

Super! Thanks. I'll look at this when the belt needs changing and I'd probably could do with new rollers anyway.

bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Post by bikerdezzie »

Were 18gms on the mk3 standard i had 16gms in the j costa, well happy with the changes.
Dezzie

Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

Post by Taipan »

I've got a Malossi on mine, but i dont know what weight rollers are in it, but its got to go! Its just too revvy all the time and creates an annoying drone from the MIVV. The bike didn't come with the standard variator, so Im not sure whether to just fit 17g dr pulleys in the malossi, assuming the Malossi takes the same 25x15 size? Or buy a standard variator and sell the Malossi?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well, it'd be cheaper to buy new weights than a new variator....I think that Malossi, Dr Pulley and Yamaha all use the same size 25x15 weights. No idea about J Costa though!

Drew
Current Ride: Tmax500

Post by Drew »

Hi all

So as planned fitted the new 16g Dr. Pulley rollers albeit after one almighty fight for two days trying to undo the variator nut. Tried two different holding tools both now in the bin after the torque from a 3 foot breaker bar on the variator nut destroyed them, tried a good 1/2" compressed air rattle gun but no joy. Borrowed a 1" rattle gun today from work and off it popped. So a one hour job turned into a right PITA.

I only gave it a spin 1 mile up the road to check it out and it seems to rev more freely on the move but didn't get off the line as I expected, better but not wow that's better. Will report after a proper ride / commute in a day or two.

Cheers

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Did you buy the Dr Pulley sliders as well as the rollers? I've seen a mention that for best results you ought to change both sliders and rollers. I'm a little baffled that the sliders are sold in in packs of 4, when there appear to be 8 sliders (to go with 8 rollers).

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

MrGrumpy wrote:Did you buy the Dr Pulley sliders as well as the rollers? I've seen a mention that for best results you ought to change both sliders and rollers. I'm a little baffled that the sliders are sold in in packs of 4, when there appear to be 8 sliders (to go with 8 rollers).
The sliders are the 4 parts that hold the ramp plate to the variator body as seen below.

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

Drew wrote:Hi all

So as planned fitted the new 16g Dr. Pulley rollers albeit after one almighty fight for two days trying to undo the variator nut. Tried two different holding tools both now in the bin after the torque from a 3 foot breaker bar on the variator nut destroyed them, tried a good 1/2" compressed air rattle gun but no joy. Borrowed a 1" rattle gun today from work and off it popped. So a one hour job turned into a right PITA.

I only gave it a spin 1 mile up the road to check it out and it seems to rev more freely on the move but didn't get off the line as I expected, better but not wow that's better. Will report after a proper ride / commute in a day or two.

Cheers
When you used the rattle gun, did you still lock the variator? I've changed a belt on my old Tmax and know i used a rattle gun, but cant remember what, if anything, I locked the variator up with?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Taipan wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote:Did you buy the Dr Pulley sliders as well as the rollers? I've seen a mention that for best results you ought to change both sliders and rollers. I'm a little baffled that the sliders are sold in in packs of 4, when there appear to be 8 sliders (to go with 8 rollers).
The sliders are the 4 parts that hold the ramp plate to the variator body as seen below.
Thanks!!! - I'm looking into this, but its not easy I haven't the faintest idea technically! The workshop manual refers to rollers fitting into sliders (8 rollers, 8 sliders), but these appear to be different sliders altogether. This explains why the Dr Pulley ones are sold in packs of 4, not 8.

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

MrGrumpy wrote:
Taipan wrote:
Thanks!!! - I'm looking into this, but its not easy I haven't the faintest idea technically! The workshop manual refers to rollers fitting into sliders (8 rollers, 8 sliders), but these appear to be different sliders altogether. This explains why the Dr Pulley ones are sold in packs of 4, not 8.

Its not helped as Dr ~Pulley do sliders (the odd shaped ones) and rollers (the round shaped ones)! Where as Yamaha refer to them as weights and the sliders are the ramp plates holders mentioned above. So its just terminoloogy really, but think of the Dr Pulleys as sliding or rolling weights.

If you've never seen this it explains the benefits of the dr pulley sliding weights...