Tmax variator

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Drew
Current Ride: Tmax500

Tmax variator

Post by Drew »

Hi

I bought a 2006 Tmax with only 7k miles on it. I've done another 3k miles now and have noticed it's a bit sluggish from standstill.

It bogs down at just under 4000 rpm for a second or so then picks up fine until it gets on the cam about 6000 rpm. When the bike is rolling it drives through fine.

My thoughts are the rollers have gone out of round (it was owned by an old boy from new so probably never used hard).

Question is has anyone used a different variator ie. jcosta and what difference does it make to the performance on acceleration and overall gearing. I don't want it gearing down at top end as they rev hard enough at speed as I do some 70, 80, 90mph roads. I am looking for it to get off the line better in town.

Cheers

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Re: Tmax variator

Post by Ralph »

A strip down and clean up may be all that is needed, he maybe did not ride it
hard enough to blow the dust out, both ends of the belt.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Dr pulley rollers...
I would go same weight as OE...
I have tried lighter than OE on my XMax400 and SH125...
Then changed em for OE weight...

bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Post by bikerdezzie »

Had a j costa race variator on my 08 bike, loved it, went like shit off a stick but generally most variator upgrades are good and do the same, polini do one and another who i forget.
Dezzie

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

There is almost always a slight 'stepping' in the revs on the Tmax for some reason - giving the impression that its changing gear for some reason. This corresponds to the characteristics to describe - so probably not a problem in itself, but after market variators (eg J Costa or Malossi) will enable the engine to rev more and thus accelerate faster and more importantly, be more fun! The mk3 Tmax was a bit stodgy from rest, whilst the mk4 & 6 are better. The mk1 is pretty awful in the mid range - it really bogs down at around 30 mph, but as the scoot is only worth a grand, its probably not worth investing an in a new variator. A previous owner had done something to my previous mk1's variator and that really WAS fun!!

SkuTorr
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax Mk3

Post by SkuTorr »

Dr. Pulley 16 gm Sliders!
2009 Tmax with OODLES of upgrades!
2009 Majesty 400 (sold)
2007 Aprilia Mojito 150 (sold)

spdtwn
Current Ride: Vespa Sei Giorni HPE + MP3 250

Post by spdtwn »

At 28,000k fitted J Costa to my '07 . T'was costly(!) but oh! what a difference. Along the way new jcosta bullets when belt was changed. Then around 60k problems with drive take-up-felt like clutch slip, pulled that apart found all was ok. Looked at jcosta, inner self lubricating bush looked iffy so new bush and pin fitted-not cheap! Some improvement but all was not well.
Dug out original variator, fitted 15gm Dr Pully weights. Could have saved a lot of coin if I had done that in the first place. Brilliant. I'm up to 75k now.
It may pay to look at 2nd sheave and give that a clean and some new 'assembly lub'.

Drew
Current Ride: Tmax500

Post by Drew »

Hi all

Thanks for the replies, decided to try a set of Dr. Pulley rollers/sliders 16g and give it a good clean out. Ordered them up from Germany so should turn up quicker than a uk supplier!

Will report back in a week or two with the outcome.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I might try something very similar with my mk1 as acceleration is VERY stodgy around 30mph. Anyone know what the standard weights weigh? Can't find it in the service manual.

spdtwn
Current Ride: Vespa Sei Giorni HPE + MP3 250

Post by spdtwn »

Stodgy is right. !9 gm according to the old originals I have...Scottish habit 'I'll jist hang on tae these in case. Dr Pulley recommend you go a percentage lower. I got mine from Maksor in Holland who said go for 15gm. Cracking acceleration. If we had long motorways instead of lots of corners, I'd go for 16gm.