Looking at the SYM 300i

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Re: Looking at the SYM 300i

Post by Symcity »

I had no problems with exhaust corrosion and I live in Scotland - why not buy a nearly new Sym and that way you don’t take the hit of buying new - don’t worry about paperwork or leaflets - these scooters are as good as any Honda - most modern Honda scooters are built in Thailand

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

You have a point, but, I am now in a position to buy any bike I want new. It maybe that finding a dealer with a used bike would give me the chance to have a test ride. All the dealers seem to think that I should, order and pay for a bike I have never ridden, in effect buy a "pig in a poke". I have never come across this attitude before.

Symcity
Benefactor

Post by Symcity »

Unfortunately sylar there are numerous dealers like that - hope you get wot your after

richie the 1st
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda sh125 Suzuki Address FL1

Post by richie the 1st »

poldark wrote:If it's only as a local runaround why not stick to a 125, you can't beat an SH125.

I got mine for £650 six years ago and it's peanuts to run, 1 litre of oil every 2400 miles (no filter), £17 tax, naff all extra insurance on a multi-bike policy if you've got the Silverwing, cheap tyres, 100 mpg and if you want a bit more ooomph just fit DR Pulley sliders.
£18 tax poldark.now on my 4th sh 125,i must like them or even cheaper a Honda sh 125 mode.
Old honda sh125.
New Honda sh125.
Ride free,ride safe.

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

Found a dealer that will let me have a test riden on a SYM300i. The bike is pre registered, not pre ridden. It was reg in 2016 but has never been out of the showroom, and it is offered at a thousand pounds cheaper than a new bike. Arranged for test ride on 5/4/18. It means that technically it will be two years old and will need an MOT next year. This doesn't bother me at all, if I like it I will buy it.

Symcity
Benefactor

Post by Symcity »

Sounds reasonable to me

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Yup, sounds like a plan.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

Look forward to hearing how it goes. Well and fun, I hope.

Be interesting to hear how it compares with your other owned scooters too.

Best Mark.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Whilst it sounds like an interesting idea, I'm always a bit suspicious of the prices that dealers offer on old 'new' bikes. They try to sell it you as a brand new scoot, so don't take a huge amount off, but if you were to try and sell it to them, they'd say it doesn't matter how few miles its done, its still a two year old scoot, and offer you a pittance!
Not sure of the list (new) price, so I can't say whether £1000 off is a good deal or not, though my instinct is that they are pushing it a bit.....though of course, they are dealers, so its what you would expect!!!

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »