Running in my SH300

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Running in my SH300

Post by rayb »

The dealer never made any real suggestions about running in, just said take it easy. It was chucking it down when I rode it home, so I don't suppose I went over 40 and without a screen, I found it uncomfortable at much over 50. So, for the first 250 miles, I don't suppose I've pushed it but I've not given any real thought to what I'm doing. I've taken it easy with the brakes apart from a couple of hard stops, to see how well it stops. Since getting a screen, I've been on the motorway but mainly sitting comfortably in the inside lane, with the odd overtake. According to my satnav, the maximum speed has been 61mph, although the speedo was registering closer to 70. Have I been a bit too aggressive?

I also wish I'd got them to apply ACF50 before it left the showroom but they are going to do it for me at the 600 mile service when they take the wheels off to fit new ones under warranty.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Re: Running in my SH300

Post by SH125Paul »

Warm it up and use it...
Don't labour it, and don't nurse it...
Vary the revs, and a strong run through the rev range aint a bad thing - helps with getting a good piston ring to bore seal...
Personally, I'd give it an oil change after about 300 miles - I think 600 is a while to wait! - plus change the gear oil - dealer didn't change it at 600... get all the new shite out from the gears...

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Do you think acf50 is necessary on the sh300i - ride as you have being doing and everything should be fine

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

XMax400Paul wrote:Warm it up and use it...
Don't labour it, and don't nurse it...
Vary the revs, and a strong run through the rev range aint a bad thing - helps with getting a good piston ring to bore seal...
Personally, I'd give it an oil change after about 300 miles - I think 600 is a while to wait! - plus change the gear oil - dealer didn't change it at 600... get all the new shite out from the gears...

Still some of us old duffers left then! :lol: I change my oil/filter on a new machine at about 100 miles for the same reasons..
Lyn.

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Post by tmaxrobbo »

I think autos are pretty easy to run in . They are hard to kill so as long as you let it warm up and don’t really rag it you’ll be fine . Most engines run in a bit better if you rev it a bit rather than keep the revs too low

Mister Paul
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by Mister Paul »

Symcity wrote:Do you think acf50 is necessary on the sh300i - ride as you have being doing and everything should be fine
Yes. There's corrosion on my shocks and the bike is only 11 months old.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Mister Paul wrote:
Symcity wrote:Do you think acf50 is necessary on the sh300i - ride as you have being doing and everything should be fine
Yes. There's corrosion on my shocks and the bike is only 11 months old.
Not a new issue. on my 2009 the shocks rusted quickly so dealer said no worries get winter out the way come back after and warranty claim will go in.

Went back after winter told it was a bad one with lots of road salt so Honda wouldn't honour a claim???

Never bought from that dealer again.

Get your bike back to dealer be a nuisance

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

My sh300i is seven years old and the shockers are still in good condition with no evidence of corrosion - must confess I’m quite paranoid about keeping the scooter clean

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Symcity wrote:My sh300i is seven years old and the shockers are still in good condition with no evidence of corrosion - must confess I’m quite paranoid about keeping the scooter clean
Without the use of ACF50 or similar?

hatter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH 300

Post by hatter »

I use acf50 on my SH300. When I went for MOT tester gave an advisory for a leaking shocker (it was not leaking).So if you use it give shocks a wipe clean before MOT.

Hatter