Any previous owners of a White Max reg number T500 Yam on here?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Any previous owners of a White Max reg number T500 Yam on here?

Post by MrGrumpy »

Taipan wrote: I remember now you say that. They had a litle jumper lead under one of the side panels, you had to unplug and turn the ignition on or suchlike?
What's worse is that the only documentation on how to do this on the mk1 is a stray comment in a document called the 'Orientation Guide' (which sounds like it could tell you if your Tmax is gay or straight) - its not mentioned in the actual service manual at all!

Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

Post by Taipan »

Well I picked it up tonight. First impressions, the malossi variator is way too revvy in normal riding, but great fun when using it as its meant to be used! Quite surprised at just how lively it can be! :shock: :D

The MIVV exhaust sounded okay when we start d the bike up, but by fook it does get loud when you're going for it!

Fuelling was lovely when using large amounts of throttle but at small throttle openings its really popping and almost misfiring? The bike really does pop a lot on the overrun too. I have no idea if the fuelling has been adjudged in anyway, but will look at it. I assume you can balance the throttle bodies on these? Something needs sorting out on the bottom end anyway?

I suspect i'll end up fitting a standard variator, maybe with OEM weight Dr Pulleys? But I really enjoyed being back in the saddle of a Tmax again. 8-)

SkuTorr
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax Mk3

Post by SkuTorr »

MrGrumpy wrote:
Taipan wrote: I remember now you say that. They had a litle jumper lead under one of the side panels, you had to unplug and turn the ignition on or suchlike?
What's worse is that the only documentation on how to do this on the mk1 is a stray comment in a document called the 'Orientation Guide' (which sounds like it could tell you if your Tmax is gay or straight) - its not mentioned in the actual service manual at all!
gayvespas_181.jpg
2009 Tmax with OODLES of upgrades!
2009 Majesty 400 (sold)
2007 Aprilia Mojito 150 (sold)

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Taipan wrote:Well I picked it up tonight. First impressions, the malossi variator is way too revvy in normal riding, but great fun when using it as its meant to be used! Quite surprised at just how lively it can be! :shock: :D

The MIVV exhaust sounded okay when we start d the bike up, but by fook it does get loud when you're going for it!

Fuelling was lovely when using large amounts of throttle but at small throttle openings its really popping and almost misfiring? The bike really does pop a lot on the overrun too. I have no idea if the fuelling has been adjudged in anyway, but will look at it. I assume you can balance the throttle bodies on these? Something needs sorting out on the bottom end anyway?

I suspect i'll end up fitting a standard variator, maybe with OEM weight Dr Pulleys? But I really enjoyed being back in the saddle of a Tmax again. 8-)
Hmmmm...it really shouldn't pop and almost misfire at small throttle openings!! Maybe fitting the exhaust has upset something? As for variators, the mk3 was quite slow accelerating round town, though it had surprising amount of top end - felt faster at speed than the 650 Burger. I did try a Malossi variator on mine, which worked well initially, but after a 1000 miles it became dangerously stodgy and wasn't lowering the ratio on acceleration. Dismantling and reassembling worked initially, then the troubles re-occurred, so I got it taken off.

Yes, a Tmax is always good to get back to!

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Post by tmaxrobbo »

You are going to need the Yamaha sport tinted screen on that. The very short screen you have gives no wind protection and makes it horrible to ride any real miles. They are not expensive plus put the mirrors back on as you will need them. They look great in white. I had a mk3 in white and loved it . Akropovic is a bit quieter but still sounds good . If they bought the mk6 into the uk in white I’d have bought one, but the sx is not coming here so I have to persevere with the standard in gloss black. Great bikes just keep an eye on those bare rims they oxidise easily so a bit of acf50 will keep them looking good. Enjoy your T Max

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Just noticed that the foolish previous owner cut away the rear mudguard below the number plate....I guess its OK if you never ride in the rain or on mucky roads, or you positively like getting yourself and scoot filthy, but otherwise its a bad idea.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Taipan wrote:The MIVV exhaust sounded okay when we start d the bike up, but by fook it does get loud when you're going for it!

Fuelling was lovely when using large amounts of throttle but at small throttle openings its really popping and almost misfiring? The bike really does pop a lot on the overrun too.
Yes, your exhaust is quite loud but I didn't notice any popping as you rode down Tower Hill and past Customs House this morning at about 8.45 ish.

I was running with the group of bikes you were also in amongst for a while. 8-)

I had noticed the plate but didn't get the significance of it until I logged on here a few minutes ago.

icon_lol5.gif
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

tmaxrobbo wrote:You are going to need the Yamaha sport tinted screen on that. The very short screen you have gives no wind protection and makes it horrible to ride any real miles. They are not expensive plus put the mirrors back on as you will need them. They look great in white. I had a mk3 in white and loved it . Akropovic is a bit quieter but still sounds good . If they bought the mk6 into the uk in white I’d have bought one, but the sx is not coming here so I have to persevere with the standard in gloss black. Great bikes just keep an eye on those bare rims they oxidise easily so a bit of acf50 will keep them looking good. Enjoy your T Max
Yup,you're right, its hard work woithout any screen! I've ordered a s/hand one of these which is winging its way to me as we speak.

MrGrumpy wrote:Just noticed that the foolish previous owner cut away the rear mudguard below the number plate....I guess its OK if you never ride in the rain or on mucky roads, or you positively like getting yourself and scoot filthy, but otherwise its a bad idea.
When i looked at the state of the bike when I got off it after riding in the rain, it certainly proves you right, lol!

StephenC wrote:
Taipan wrote:The MIVV exhaust sounded okay when we start d the bike up, but by fook it does get loud when you're going for it!

Fuelling was lovely when using large amounts of throttle but at small throttle openings its really popping and almost misfiring? The bike really does pop a lot on the overrun too.
Yes, your exhaust is quite loud but I didn't notice any popping as you rode down Tower Hill and past Customs House this morning at about 8.45 ish.

I was running with the group of bikes you were also in amongst for a while. 8-)

I had noticed the plate but didn't get the significance of it until I logged on here a few minutes ago.

icon_lol5.gif
Well good morning, fellow commuter! :) Was you on the Xmax? The problem isn't that consistent and seems to be when I roll the throttle on and off or hold it at a minimum opening of the the throttle. Also it seems much less of a problem than it oriiginally did, after the ride home round the M25, but it is still there.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Yes, I was. White one with a topbox (today anyway).

I think there was a PCX being a bit frisky and I distinctly remember thinking - "that's a Tmax, don't even bother".

BTW, your white paint looks a lot cleaner than mine :(
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should