Vespa GTS DIY service

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Vespa GTS DIY service

Post by smeghead »

Hi chaps/chapesses. The Vespa GTS 300 is due a service and as it's out of warranty I was considering a DIY job. Obviously the oil/filter needs changing although it's only done around 1500 miles since it was last done! I suppose I'll change the transmission oil too as I understand it's the same grade as the engine so easy peasy. What else would you do? There's nothing obviously wrong with it and it's only done just under 5K miles in total. Also is it worth buying genuine Vespa filter or will a fit bit be OK?

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Re: Vespa GTS DIY service

Post by SH125Paul »

Go OE on the filter for the exta couple of quid... Although HiFlo are OK, use thier oil and air filters where there is a significant cost difference.
You may get Champion which are also fine in Halfords if its a jaunt to ya local dealer...
5w40 fully synthetic i think... Halfords do a 5w40 fully synth... Ive used this in all my scoots except the SH which is currently on the last of the 4 lts of Castrol 10w30, will then get the 5w40...
Halfords also do a 10w40 weight gear oil for motorcycle and scoot... Which may have a little more shear protection... I use this in all my scoots transmision...Its semi synth and again made by Comma who make all halfords oils...comma also make Castrol...
Maybe check the air filter depending on how dusty the conditions you ride in...
Think they are a washable foam item rather than a paper element...

DATA, and the other Vespa owners should be along soon... But mostly do-able...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Doesn't the manual say what ought to be done? Yam manuals tell you what to do, and even tell you how to do it. Mostly its just checking things and replacing if necessary (eg Spark Plug). I'm always confused by how often you should change the coollant and brake fluid - the book says relatively often, but the workshop never seem bothered to change either most of the time!

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

MrGrumpy wrote:Doesn't the manual say what ought to be done? Yam manuals tell you what to do, and even tell you how to do it. Mostly its just checking things and replacing if necessary (eg Spark Plug). I'm always confused by how often you should change the coollant and brake fluid - the book says relatively often, but the workshop never seem bothered to change either most of the time!
It was more of an enquiry regarding the general consensus about changing coolant and brake fluids I suppose.

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Smeghead - I’d go with Hiflo replacement oil and air filters - new spark plug and use decent oil - if you change the gear oil check the user manual for the specific grade - I wouldn’t bother changing the brake fluid though again consult the user manual regarding coolant finally grease the centre and side stands

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

Symcity wrote:Smeghead - I’d go with Hiflo replacement oil and air filters - new spark plug and use decent oil - if you change the gear oil check the user manual for the specific grade - I wouldn’t bother changing the brake fluid though again consult the user manual regarding coolant finally grease the centre and side stands
Thanks Symcity. That's about the extent to where I wanted to go tbh.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Hi smeg, yep diy on these beauties is easy. I have a couple of GTS's that I service now and it's a diy dream. The rear transmission oil is in fact GL3 or 4 80/90. Full spec in the owners manual. I usually use Valvoline 5/40 fully synthetic motorcycle oil in the engine as it meets all the specs in the Vespa book. I get this from Halfords in the motorcycle section. I use oem oil filters. Air filter is washable in 50% petrol/oil, then let dry or just renew with oem which is already clean and oiled. It's cheap. The rollers are normally due for renewal at 6,200 miles so you could check those and get the variator guides too (3). Rollers again are incredibly cheap compared to Japanese bikes. But do get the buzzetty variator holding tool for that. It's cheap. Also recommend you get the Buzzetty clutch holding tool at the same time, again very cheap and you'll need it when you change the belt at 9000 miles.Or, you can change the belt and rollers in one go at 6,200 miles. I do sometimes on the bikes I service if they look like they have had a hard life. I'll try to find you a link or two later on the buzzetti stuff. If you haven't done this stuff before I'll gladly show you how later in the year if you are going to wait a while before doing it. But i won't be up your way at least until August, that's the only thing! there's a lot of miles between us! :o
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Good stuff Data - you obviously know your Vespa

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

Awesome info and knowledge Data. Thanks.

Scootles
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Post by Scootles »

I did my belt at the same time as the rollers. It didn't seem wortwhile pulling it all to bits again a couple of thousand miles later. Like Data says it's worth the price of the tools you need as they make the job is so much easier. I found a couple of bodge methods on youtube but the cash savings didn't seem worthwhile especially if you intend to keep the bike.