Vespa GTS DIY service

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
road runner
Benefactor
Current Ride: MaxSYM 600i + Vespa GTS

Re: Vespa GTS DIY service

Post by road runner »

Data wrote:Hi smeg, yep diy on these beauties is easy. I have a couple of GTS's that I service now and it's a diy dream. The rear transmission oil is in fact GL3 or 4 80/90. Full spec in the owners manual. I usually use Havoline 5/40 fully synthetic motorcycle oil in the engine as it meets all the specs in the Vespa book. I get this from Halfords in the motorcycle section. I use oem oil filters. Air filter is washable in 50% petrol/oil, then let dry or just renew with oem which is already clean and oiled. It's cheap. The rollers are normally due for renewal at 6,200 miles so you could check those and get the variator guides too (3). Rollers again are incredibly cheap compared to Japanese bikes. But do get the buzzetty variator holding tool for that. It's cheap. Also recommend you get the Buzzetty clutch holding tool at the same time, again very cheap and you'll need it when you change the belt at 9000 miles.Or, you can change the belt and rollers in one go at 6,200 miles. I do sometimes on the bikes I service if they look like they have had a hard life. I'll try to find you a link or two later on the buzzetti stuff. If you haven't done this stuff before I'll gladly show you how later in the year if you are going to wait a while before doing it. But i won't be up your way at least until August, that's the only thing! there's a lot of miles between us! :o
Hi Data, what's your servicing workload like? I am looking to get a 3100 mile service done on my 2016 GTS 300ie and as you know I am fairly local to you.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery but today is a gift!

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

rr....Mon Amie...how you doing? My GTS is also due its first annual service, right now. I have the same mileage on the clock as you. However, to keep my warranty I'm going to let the boys at Col Kawasaki do their stuff. So neither of us needs rollers or belts, just an engine oil and filter change. The transmission oil does not need to be changed until the end of the second year or at 12400 miles, but the level must be checked. So it should be the oil and filter plus a thorough check over and a diagnostic computery thing check for faults. Any ECU updates will also be applied free of charge! Air filter doesn't need touching just yet neither does coolant, just check level. Brake fluid is fine for another year. It's dead easy to do yourself.

My current workload for servicing bikes is light. I've been gradually cutting down the number of bikes I work on, due mostly to retirement. I've been looking after 5 Burgmans including the 650, 1 GTS250 with 78000miles on the clock, and 2 GTS300's, 1 with over 82000 miles on the clock. I get the odd bike come in to me for fitting of this or that or to fix something, but generally I try to
discourage that sort of work as it can be hassle! The amazing thing is that the Vespas have survived on just routine servicing and consumables, plus each has had a variator, clutch and a water pump. That's all...and all pretty cheap stuff to replace and easy to do. All still going strong. So going back to your service, I'd encourage you to get a dealer service rr, so you keep your warranty. However, if you don't do that, I'm happy to help you do your own service but I can't do a proper diagnostic on the bike.it wouldn't be for two or three weeks though.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

road runner
Benefactor

Post by road runner »

Data wrote:rr....Mon Amie...how you doing? My GTS is also due its first annual service, right now. I have the same mileage on the clock as you. However, to keep my warranty I'm going to let the boys at Col Kawasaki do their stuff. So neither of us needs rollers or belts, just an engine oil and filter change. The transmission oil does not need to be changed until the end of the second year or at 12400 miles, but the level must be checked. So it should be the oil and filter plus a thorough check over and a diagnostic computery thing check for faults. Any ECU updates will also be applied free of charge! Air filter doesn't need touching just yet neither does coolant, just check level. Brake fluid is fine for another year. It's dead easy to do yourself.

My current workload for servicing bikes is light. I've been gradually cutting down the number of bikes I work on, due mostly to retirement. I've been looking after 5 Burgmans including the 650, 1 GTS250 with 78000miles on the clock, and 2 GTS300's, 1 with over 82000 miles on the clock. I get the odd bike come in to me for fitting of this or that or to fix something, but generally I try to
discourage that sort of work as it can be hassle! The amazing thing is that the Vespas have survived on just routine servicing and consumables, plus each has had a variator, clutch and a water pump. That's all...and all pretty cheap stuff to replace and easy to do. All still going strong. So going back to your service, I'd encourage you to get a dealer service rr, so you keep your warranty. However, if you don't do that, I'm happy to help you do your own service but I can't do a proper diagnostic on the bike.it wouldn't be for two or three weeks though.
Hi Data, thanks for your feedback. I would be interested to know what Colchester Kawasaki charge you for the service. Mine was booked in to them for 5th April but having been quoted approximately £200 by the chap on the service reception I decided, for the time being, to think about it. My warranty is up this October so after that I will probably have a go doing it myself. I have in the meantime been quoted half CK charge by a small independent motorcycle shop in Witham who have said they will do the work including stamping the book.
Appreciate your kind offer to help with the servicing, which I may take up with you at the 6200 mile service.
Hope you are now well on the road to recovery following your recent surgery and hopefully we will get to meet up in the near future for a coffee and chat.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

road runner wrote: Hi Data, thanks for your feedback. I would be interested to know what Colchester Kawasaki charge you for the service. Mine was booked in to them for 5th April but having been quoted approximately £200 by the chap on the service reception I decided, for the time being, to think about it. My warranty is up this October so after that I will probably have a go doing it myself. I have in the meantime been quoted half CK charge by a small independent motorcycle shop in Witham who have said they will do the work including stamping the book.

Roger
try SilverX engineering at Braintree 01376 551 624
unit 2a Chapel Hill.

Bought my Harley there and early impressions very good knowledge on all makes.

road runner
Benefactor

Post by road runner »

Scootypuff snr wrote:
road runner wrote: Hi Data, thanks for your feedback. I would be interested to know what Colchester Kawasaki charge you for the service. Mine was booked in to them for 5th April but having been quoted approximately £200 by the chap on the service reception I decided, for the time being, to think about it. My warranty is up this October so after that I will probably have a go doing it myself. I have in the meantime been quoted half CK charge by a small independent motorcycle shop in Witham who have said they will do the work including stamping the book.

Roger
try SilverX engineering at Braintree 01376 551 624
unit 2a Chapel Hill.

Bought my Harley there and early impressions very good knowledge on all makes.
Thanks Harvey, I will give them a call on Monday to get a comparison.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

rr, yes I'm fine now. Eyes are performing really well. I can actually see where I'm going! But best of all, the brain issues that my eye condition was causing is now almost back to normal, and I'm told, I'll be completely free of that one in a few more months. But I feel so much better all round now so everything is good.

I've been wanging the GTS round the country roads over the last few days and boy, how good is that! Last Friday, in the sunshine, I went a bit bananas and went for a lengthy ride. Treated the bike to a couple of gallons of BP Ultimate 97ron. Just to help clean her out. She is going really well. On the note about cost of service at CK, I was told the bike needs the full 6200 mile service with rollers and stuff. But after pointing out it had only 3200 on the clock, he said they would do a 'silver service'. That included stripping the brake calipers and cleaning them (needs exhaust and wheel removal), air filter, oil filter, oil, diagnostic hook up, and a full nut and bolt (on the first service they overtightened the manifold nuts and bent the retaining bracket). So most of that stuff is not required. But then he pointed out that the bike needed a 3100 mile service according to Piaggio and it should have all that stuff done! I pointed out the 3100 mile service was an inspection service with no actual parts needing replacement. He didn't seem to know that, or the fact that this 3100 mile check up was done by the owner (although you can pay them to do it). But then he said on a time basis it all needed doing, but then relented on that and said that I didn't need the rollers or belt doing. So in total it would be £200. Hmmm! Haven't decided if I'll let it go there just yet although I've booked it in. I'm going to have another chat with them first. However, I would just say that CK are a very good dealer and have a very good reputation but I think one has to watch what some of the service staff recommend as my experience is that they don't always know all the in's and out's of Vespa GTS bikes. But they are learning!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Data wrote:rr, yes I'm fine now. Eyes are performing really well. I can actually see where I'm going! But best of all, the brain issues that my eye condition was causing is now almost back to normal, and I'm told, I'll be completely free of that one in a few more months. But I feel so much better all round now so everything is good.

:D EXCELLENT :D
Have wheels, will travel :D

road runner
Benefactor

Post by road runner »

[quote="Data] I pointed out the 3100 mile service was an inspection service with no actual parts needing replacement. He didn't seem to know that, or the fact that this 3100 mile check up was done by the owner (although you can pay them to do it). But then he said on a time basis it all needed doing, but then relented on that and said that I didn't need the rollers or belt doing. So in total it would be £200. Hmmm! Haven't decided if I'll let it go there just yet although I've booked it in. I'm going to have another chat with them first. However, I would just say that CK are a very good dealer and have a very good reputation but I think one has to watch what some of the service staff recommend as my experience is that they don't always know all the in's and out's of Vespa GTS bikes. But they are learning![/quote]

At least CK appear to be quoting similar figures to their customers for servicing. Having given more thought to my 3100 mile service on the Vespa, I have decided to go with an independent dealer who is both nearer and cheaper than CK.

kishan
Current Ride: gilera runner 125ST

Post by kishan »

http://manuals.wotmeworry.org.uk/Vespa/ ... Manual.pdf

dont say i dont do nout for you haha ^^^^^
PIAGGIOOWNERSCLUB.FREEFORUMS.ORG - THE HOME FOR GILERA , APRILIA , PIAGGIO AND VESPA OWNERS.

road runner
Benefactor

Post by road runner »

kishan wrote:http://manuals.wotmeworry.org.uk/Vespa/ ... Manual.pdf

dont say i dont do nout for you haha ^^^^^
Thanks Kishan, very useful!