How do Malossi belts hold up?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Re: How do Malossi belts hold up?

Post by kayz1 »

Symcity wrote:Kayz - I’ve got a Bando OEM Honda belt waiting to be fitted to my sh300i - I’m certainly hoping for more than 4K from it otherwise I’ll crack up - not the belt hopefully

That was it: Bando yes Honda OE belts always been good. But i think the Bando belts you get online can some times be a bit not
real Bando belts :lol:

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

***I forgot to ask The Bern where he got his braces***

Teeth or pants :lol: :lol:

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

kayz1 wrote:***I forgot to ask The Bern where he got his braces***

Teeth or pants :lol: :lol:
:lol: silly sod :lol: :kiss:

Not enough teeth to need braces anymore bud :(

Pants, IIRC Trago Mill, Bovey Tracy, Devon
Have wheels, will travel :D

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

Do Gates not do a belt for your bike? I have used Gates belts for years (on my Silverwing 600) and never had any problems, changing them at 16000mls as recommended.

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

On the Srv I only used the Oem belts but did toy with the malossi belts but from the people who know told me they are a waste of time and end up costing you more . My last oem belt is still going strong at 20k recommended change at 12k and cost 60% of the malossi option .

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

I would go OE...
Bando for Honda
Mitsuboshi for Yamaha
Just replaced the original belt on the '13 XMax 400, after 24000 miles... Well 23560...
Book says 12000 old one looked alright, no cracks and measured up within spec, but figured i have had my moneys worth
Genuine Yam belt, cost me £100... Maybe got a cheaper one and saved maybe £20? - not worth it...
Some things are worth saving on, other things not so much...

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Sylar wrote:Do Gates not do a belt for your bike? I have used Gates belts for years (on my Silverwing 600) and never had any problems, changing them at 16000mls as recommended.
Me also, Gates belt & change at 16,000mile intervals
Have wheels, will travel :D

Bonniedogsdad
Current Ride: Honda Vision 2017

Post by Bonniedogsdad »

Taipan wrote:
Funkycowie wrote:Always stick to OEM, I have had a couple of non OEM belts snap (Athena and Malossi), the worst was only after 1500 miles. I had just overtaken a lorry over taking a lorry being over taken by a car which was going at about 60mph, so I was in lane 4 on the M25 and lost all power, luckily I was able to coast over to the hard shoulder. The belt (Malossi) has shredded to bits and wrapped around everything, luckily no damage but took about 1 hour to cut and untangle.

TMax owners have been able to run their belts as high as 22k miles, almost x2 as much as the service interval, before changing. If a non-oem lasts only 1-8k miles you're not saving any money, just chucking money at shite.

I remember fiting a chinese belt to my mk1 tmax as Suttons had belts on back order and were quoting 10 days to delivery. I only got 600 miles out of the chinese belt and that was taking it easy! :shock: Saved me using the trains though, so it was still a better option, but 600 miles!!! :evil:

I wondered if Malossi had upped their game in the last few years, but clearly not!. No worries though, Fowlers have dispatched my new one to me this morning. I juts need 300 more miles out of the Malossi and am suddenly nervous of it making it! :lol:
My 06 Sukida obviously had a chinese belt, brand new, got about 400 miles out of it too before it shredded, out in the middle of no where, in Shetland, importer sent me another, that broke in no time, used a Gates Rubber equivalent instead, no more problems.
Best to buy quality.
No problems with my Piaggio X8, and I did a fair few miles too, two rear tyres worth, I dont know what make of belt they use.

andyscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: gilera runner vxr200

Post by andyscooter »

worked with gate highly reccomned as aftermarket

or oe

don't bother with mallosi or other tuning brands
i was an atheist until i realised i am god
Remember its a speed limit not a target

gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)

kishan
Current Ride: gilera runner 125ST

Post by kishan »

ive heard original belts are much stronger and performance much better than aftermarket belts regardless of the company of the aftermarket brand.

ive never tested how good or bad malossi belts are. im presuming aftermarket belts are more designed for those who do town travelling than long distance riding.
PIAGGIOOWNERSCLUB.FREEFORUMS.ORG - THE HOME FOR GILERA , APRILIA , PIAGGIO AND VESPA OWNERS.