Satnav or Cellular

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Satnav or Cellular

Post by Symcity »

Garmin satnav or Android phone using Google maps - which is better for a European trip

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Re: Satnav or Cellular

Post by Bluebottle »

I find my Garmin better than my phone (iphone with Garmin app)

It recalculates much faster and has more functions (useable not gimmicks)
The screen works better - suffers less glare/reflection, bigger screen, easier to read and does better split screen and 3d views of motorway junctions/big interchanges so you can identify your lane earlier.
It’s waterproof without any special case.

*** most important of all - the icon/pointer thingy is a guy on a scooter !!!

My phone is OK as a back up but prefer the Garmin if I’m going to be relying on GPS.
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well....the phone apps are free, whilst posh satnavs are expensive! No doubt the pukka SatNav is much better but It depends on how much you'll use it and depend on it. I have a phone app, but only have it as a backup or for occcasional needs (eg if I'm ever brave enough to go to Leeds!)

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

I have a Garmin satnav with European maps, so I'd use that but for other countries I use my Samsung Galaxy and Navfree.

Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Post by Snail »

One thing to be aware of whichever you choose, make sure it has longs and lats on, no postcodes like us, some cheaper end models don't have it, 2 of my previous TomTom didn't, longs and lats can be in three different formats as well! So be vigilant when setting a route, you may have different co ordinates in different guides or websites and have change selection in the settings

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

And be careful setting the long and lats. I once set mine for the disabled parking spaces in Bristol Airport. Because it wasn't near a known road, it lost the plot completely. It didn't help that I'd decided to take back roads that I hadn't used for 25 years.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

I remember when I was first introduced to sat navs. I was nattering with my mate in the office, he was directionally challenged and talked about the Tomtom sats navs. He then told me a little story, he'd been to a meeting in Birmingham and was making his way home. He eventually ended up in a motorway service station up in Cumbria, I think it was close to Carlisle. At this point he thought he'd ask a copper who was there, directions home, after much mirth the coppers assisted his progress home, back to Sheffield. Oh how we laughed.

Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

Post by Taipan »

I use Waze over google maps. With free apps like Co-Pilot, it downloads the maps so you dont use data. But I still like my old Garmin...

Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

Post by Taipan »

I use Waze over google maps. With free apps like Co-Pilot, it downloads the maps so you dont use data. But I still like my old Garmin...

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

For years I have used the co-pilot app. I paid for UK+EU maps and both the app and the maps have been updated many times since. It has the advantage of not needing a data signal after you have downloaded the maps you want for whichever journey. The UK and Ireland is 480MB. You get a year's free traffic when you sign up (or it seems, when you load the app onto a new phone/tablet but that might be a glitch).
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should