Best current scooter tyre overall ?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Re: Best current scooter tyre overall ?

Post by XP500FUN »

Well I got my new City Grip on the Silverwing and I have to say even in the first 30 odd miles is a revelation over the Hoop and SC Pure.

Far better comfort, really smooths out the bumps and that too seems to help the handling.

Very very pleased.

Best Mark.

Fulhamfc
Current Ride: BMW C400 X

Post by Fulhamfc »

Michelin city grips first class - especially on shitty london roads with grease and crap everywhere

Spoogle
Current Ride: X-Max 400 ABS

Post by Spoogle »

Michelin City Grip for me too, great tyre :)

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

The City Grips on my X-max 300 are now at 6000 miles and counting, front looks set for 12,000 miles
and the rear maybe 8000, best handling scooter I ever rode but I have only ridden a few and how
much is down to the tires I don,t know but it's the only tire I am sure I will replace like for like.

I would like to try Radials as I have had good results on bikes but they seem a bit thin on the ground
for scooter just yet.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Spoogle wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:22 am Michelin City Grip for me too, great tyre :)
I hate them! OK an exaggeration...they are OK in the dry, but lack a little feel, but lack any feel in the wet. Its not that they don't grip, but you can't feel it. I had a CityGrip on the mk1 Tmax and swapped it for a Metzeler - when I road out of the workshop car park the bike gave me this weird feeling....I was a little worried until I realised it was grip when leaned over!

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Tires are like Marmite depending on rider bike weather road surface and a thousand and one other things
your never going to get all riders to agree.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Ralph wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:21 am Tires are like Marmite depending on rider bike weather road surface and a thousand and one other things
Very true - though the CityGrip does seem especially marmite...you seem to either love it or hate it.

Spoogle
Current Ride: X-Max 400 ABS

Post by Spoogle »

MrGrumpy wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:09 am
Ralph wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:21 am Tires are like Marmite depending on rider bike weather road surface and a thousand and one other things
Very true - though the CityGrip does seem especially marmite...you seem to either love it or hate it.
Very odd this as I find them to be a great tyre in all conditions and road surfaces. Horses for courses I suppose...

gasgas
Current Ride: Sym 300i

Post by gasgas »

Not sure if this is the best place to ask so I might start a new thread as well. I have a new Sym CruiSym with about 1.3k miles I've done so far. I took it for its first service a couple of weeks ago and the chap said the tyre pressures were well down and I must keep a close eye on them. He's not kidding, they go down enough to need topping up in a week. They are Maxxis - do those have a reputation for being leakier than a government secret service? I was a gas man so I sprayed leak detector fluid over the valves and they aren't leaking.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

What about around the rim, also the ali wheel it's self may be porous..
The lad has a garage and does tyres as well, the tyre lad say it is unbelievable
the amount of new cars with porous Ali wheels ..worth a check out.