Best current scooter tyre overall ?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Best current scooter tyre overall ?

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yes, its confusing. Well, I'm confused, though maybe I'm the only one! It seems that manufacturers are doing both crossply and radial versions of the 'same' tyre these days. I've just been on the Bridgestone site, and for the SC it lists a wide range of sizes available, with the ones in (eg) mk2-6 Tmax sizes being radials, but ones for smaller scoots (& mk1 Tmax) as non-radial.
Ditto Michelin who do (or did do) Power Pure's in both crossply and radial format.
However, the B.stone site didn't list Hoops for Tmax mk2-6 sizes, so I assume that they are crossply only! Though someone will no doubt prove me wrong....
btw both the SC2 and SC2 Rain are listed, so both must be available in the UK, for those with large wallets.

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

MrGrumpy wrote:Yes, its confusing. Well, I'm confused, though maybe I'm the only one!
No it's not only you bud, I ordered the rear thinking I'd be economic & run the old (non matching) front down more before changing it, the rear duly arrived, I fitted the tyre & balanced it, fitted it on the 'wing & while cleaning off the fitting 'goo' I noticed ... Battlax SC R. Oh bollocks it's a radial after all I thought & so ordered a front to match, which duly arrived & was marked Battlax SC F, the R on reflection obviously stood for rear wheel fitment :roll:
Have wheels, will travel :D

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

The Bern wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote:Yes, its confusing. Well, I'm confused, though maybe I'm the only one!
No it's not only you bud, I ordered the rear thinking I'd be economic & run the old (non matching) front down more before changing it, the rear duly arrived, I fitted the tyre & balanced it, fitted it on the 'wing & while cleaning off the fitting 'goo' I noticed ... Battlax SC R. Oh bollocks it's a radial after all I thought & so ordered a front to match, which duly arrived & was marked Battlax SC F, the R on reflection obviously stood for rear wheel fitment :roll:
That sounds like one of my bits of brilliance! But were your new set of B.stone SCs any good on the 'wing?

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

MrGrumpy wrote:
The Bern wrote:
That sounds like one of my bits of brilliance! But were your new set of B.stone SCs any good on the 'wing?
Yes bud, to date they seem to be the best wearing pair I've had to date, cornering it feels well 'planted', the dual compound 'thing' certainly seems to work well. It's Victor's fault he got them for his 'lardarse' 650 burger & raved about them, has to be said I agree they do suit heavy machines
Have wheels, will travel :D

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

I’ve recently changed to Avon Viper Strykes.
Personally I rate them above the originals

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Stibbs wrote:I’ve recently changed to Avon Viper Strykes.
Personally I rate them above the originals
Blimey! They must have improved since I had a set of those! Appalling things, manufactured so badly they were dangerous! :o

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

Correct. They’ve improved muchly.
Good wet grip, quiet, excellent stability.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

I had Avons on a scooter a few years back they were horrible
then just as I was getting ready to dump them about 250 miles
they sorted themselves out and were fine from then on.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Drago
Benefactor
Current Ride: SYM Mask 125

Post by Drago »

I had an Avon fitted to my old SYM GTS front years ago. Terrible tyre, actually almost completely lost grip once when doing 60mph(the wheel/bars were literally wobbling side to side!!!) so it was quickly taken off. The other year I had Avon's fitted to my Daelim S1. Took ages to bed in - maybe 500-750 miles or so? but once I passed this point they were actually alright.

Michelin city grips I found them fine on my GTS but have them on my Joymax now. Not a big fan any more. Grip is average when dry and below average when wet. Never fully lost grip so to speak but they aren't giving me any confidence at all.
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Drago wrote:
Michelin city grips I found them fine on my GTS but have them on my Joymax now. Not a big fan any more. Grip is average when dry and below average when wet. Never fully lost grip so to speak but they aren't giving me any confidence at all.
Kind of my experience. I think they do actually grip quite well in the wet, but they don't give you any feel, so its hard to be confident. Many people find them great though.
As for Avons, mine last 2 days until a great split right across the width of the rear tyre appeared.......