Best current scooter tyre overall ?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Best current scooter tyre overall ?

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yeah - either the valve(s) are leaking, or the tyres are leaking around the rim. I had Avon's that wouldn't seal against the rim.....but Maxxis are usually pretty good. The rims can corrode on older wheels, meaning it doesn't seal, but if its a brand new scoot, that shouldn't be the case.

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

My silverwing wheels seem to loose pressure but they look OK, plus the lad who fits the tyres for me paints on some black sealer stuff inside the wheel and rim as well as the bead fitting sealer they brush on the tyre.

That seems to keep the alloy OK.

Its not drastic, 1lb or odd times 2 maybe a week so check them every 2 weeks at least.

The bike tells me if they are too low in no uncertain terms if I forget.

I just wish I could get a front 120/80 14 city grip, they do a winter one but not the usual one.So just a city grip on the rear.

Saying that the front SC pure fitted now seems great, that last one was not so hot at all compared to this one oddly.

Best Mark.

PS GasGas I would bet if you put a city grip on the rear of your sym it would help on the bumps quite notice-ably.

Should seal better than the maxxis as well as much softer possibly I think by the sound of it.

Flyingpanman
Current Ride: Honda SH350i

Post by Flyingpanman »

I recently fitted a pair of Pirelli Diablos to my Silverwing. It was shod with a pair of Metzeler Feel Free Wintecs which were terrible... rock hard and out of round from new... like riding 20p pieces and gave a low speed steering wobble.

The Diablos have made a remarkable difference to the bump absorption. They've definitely improved the ride and no steering wobble. Grip levels in the dry are very good but I've not yet used them in the wet. Only about 600 miles so far, so too early to comment on wear.

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

I find Metzelers make things feel like a hard tail no suspension almost if you put one on the rear.

I put a feel free on my MK1 t max rear and it was terrible bump wise and it had decent suspension.

I had to bite the bullit and quickly buy a Michelin.

Was that the old style diablo`s as the new Rosso ones seem more metzeler like.

I think the older style Diablo`s were softer.

The City Grip is such a revelation on my Silverwing comfort wise so I keep a new one as spare, buy one and then swap with the old one if you will.

About 5-6K on our crappy cheese grater chipping roads, which isn`t bad on those.

Long may they continue.

Best Mark.

Flyingpanman

Post by Flyingpanman »

Mark, my Diablos are just the normal (old style?) ones.

I recently fitted a pair of YSS shocks and they, along with my Hyperpro front springs and new tyres, have really improved the ride. I'm happy with it now.

Bear in mind that I'm 6' 3" and weigh 250lbs.

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Do you fit on OK with the hump on, I struggled and only 5 10, well I was, but about 5 9 now.

About to order the Toutecs ML air seat for mine as the main hump off.

Hoping that helps with my dodgey discs.

Getting about 62/63 MPgs at the moment in hilly areas so thats good.

I do miss my T max rear end wise but I have to say I do now seriously love my Silverwing now, taken me about 15 months for it to really sink in.

Best Mark

Flyingpanman

Post by Flyingpanman »

I've completely removed the hump and all it's fittings. I have a Tourtec but I'm planning to have the seat height increased. I have a 2006 and only get around 50mpg.

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Hi I was thinking off putting 1cm or even 2 cm of the felxable gel stuff in mine.

Though height is fine for me.

That plus the Air seat should keep some of the shocks out of my spine and neck, I hope.

50mpg isn`t too bad for a 2006 model.

Mines about 58 if I get a bit throttle happy, if really steady it can go over 65 though.

I think if I take the fittings off and make a slit between two of the holes and get some fabric and glue I can pop 1cm of gel in over the main seat and no remoulding etc. Just then pop on a patch over all of the holes and the slit.

Best Mark.

gasgas
Current Ride: Sym 300i

Post by gasgas »

I have sprayed over the valves and around the rims with proper gas leak detector stuff and found no leaks at all. I have also spun the tyres round to look for punctures but none of those either. I don't like the idea of chucking away new tyres to try some other make so I'll leave the ones I have got, and just pump them up every time I go out. I've got a compressor in the garage so that's no bother.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Sometimes the leaks can be very subtle - especially from the rim - if you could see loads of bubbles coming out then the tyre would be deflating in minutes, not hours. I'd try the search again taking lots of time to look for very tiny bubbles coming out very slowly. Its never very nice to be aware of your tyres deflating, however slowly.