Best current scooter tyre overall ?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Best current scooter tyre overall ?

Post by XP500FUN »

Hi I`m looking to replace my 150/70 r13 Michelin SC Pure rear tyre on my Silverwing 600 fairly soon.

Done about 3.5K on it so far.

Its been great handing, really inspires confidence, and probably makes me gun it more so I`ve been wearing it out more than expected.

I do like Michelin tyre`s as as they tend to be softer, and absorb more of our poor roads etc.

An SC Pure is definately good on that front, but they only seem to do about 4K at the back on a good day !!!

They are cheap enough, but getting the rear end off on a Silverwing is quite a job.

It came with an old Hoop 02 on and that seemed OK but not quite as Comfy as the michelin, but gripped fairly well.

Basically what would anyone suggest would be a fairly comfory, good grip and decent mileage scooter tyre at that size please.

Its a bIas but also interested in Radials etc for other scoots and other sizes etc.

Diablo, Angel, Scootsmart ?

Done often before, but Its all interesting stuff and there are a few new ones out ?

Best Mark.

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Re: Best current scooter tyre overall ?

Post by Dave Weller »

I've just fitted Bridgestone Battlax SC tyre to the front and back, they are good, but I never take the bike to anywhere near the handling limit, so can't comment much yet. Only reason I go for Bridgestones is they feel stronger made hopefully can therefore resist punctures better. Bound to get a puncture now.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Another on Bridgestone Battlax SC, prior to that Continental 365, prior to that Anlas winter +, prior to that my memory fails.
Have wheels, will travel :D

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

So hard to say, it depends on the scooter and to an extent your riding style.

For crossplies, I always liked Bridgestone Hoops as they are super-grippy, especially in the wet, but they didn't seem to last long. I generally like Michelins though I have always had an issue with CityGrips. I know some people love them, and they are fine in the dry, but even though they probably do grip in the wet, I can't feel them. Just had a Metzeler Feelfree fitted to the front of the mk1 Tmax, which is my first ever Metzeler, and it does feel very good so far. In olden days on the Atlantic, I did have Pirellis which lasted no time at all and gave lethally little wet grip.

Radials - I was a Bridgestone fanboy until the SC Ecos on the mk4 Tmax wore in a strange way meaning that they had to be binned, though also gave a very harsh ride. However, the OE B.stones on the mk6 seem pretty good. I also had Michelin Power Pure SCs on the mk4 which gave a very soft ride, but were a little slow handling - but fabulous in the wet! Plus some Pilot Road 4s, which seemed good all round, and which I might try again in future. I did have some Dunlop Scootsmarts on the mk3 which gave fabulous wet grip but somehow didn't give the same feel as B.stones or Michelins.

In any event, avoid Avons or Vee-Rubber!

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

Bridgestone Battlax SC.

I have mixed feelings about the the Michelin PR4's, they are great for general riding but I find them a little vague on the twisties unlike the Bridgestones where I can get rid of my chicken strips in the first 150 miles, but in the wet the PR4's seem to have more grip.

The Bridgies win for me over all, if only one or the other could find a good balance in their negatives.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

I have Bridgestone Hoops on my Silverwing and have found them to be very good for me, having first encountered them as replacements on my X9500 in around 2006 and then replacing the original tyres on my 'Belgian' Silverwing.

I repeat: 'good for me'. They gave me greater confidence on my X9 and that's what counts. I can't vouch for longevity as I ride simply for pleasure and replace tyres when I have to; in that sense I don't have to worry too much about economics.

The tyre I have just replaced had 7,500 miles on it and the wear was an Advisory on the MOT last week.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

I`ve had bad wear on Pirellis before, really speedy rubber leaving if you will.

But that was on Bikes.

I might nip back to Bridgestone Hoops.

The Michelin Pure Sc`s are good though overall, though can have the odd bit of strange tracking on some surfaces ? can feel a bit Oooerrr.

Best Mark.

Spoogle
Current Ride: X-Max 400 ABS

Post by Spoogle »

For me the Michelin City Grip is a great all-rounder. Longevity, inspires confidence in dry or wet conditions and smooths out our naff road surfaces.

wobble
Current Ride: silverwing 600

Post by wobble »

Diablos all day long.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

I've not looked at this yet but it may the Bennett guides are usually good. https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/n ... =sm_000006