I cant wait to get rid of the Malossi variator!

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

I cant wait to get rid of the Malossi variator!

Post by Taipan »

I cant wait to get rid of the Malossi variator!, or at least get the 17g Dr Pulley sliders in there. The Malossi does my head in round town. A minimum of 4k revs everywhere! As soon as you pull away its on 4k revs, what with that and the noisy MIVV making you notice it more, it really is doing my head in! :shock: :D To be fair, at 40+ mph it is a lot of fun with its great mid range punch, but i'll still be glad to see it go!

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Re: I cant wait to get rid of the Malossi variator!

Post by Dave Weller »

Silence is golden, become one of nicest people again
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

What weights have you got in it? When I had a Malossi on my mk3, it came with 2 sets of weights, one heavier (touring) and one lighter (sports) - or you could go half & half with them. I went half & half, which worked pretty well and didn't notice any frantic revving issue, though if you've got an irritatingly loud exhaust, you'll soon notice any more revs! Of course, its not easy to get anywhere using less than 4000 revs on a CVT equipped scooter! Sounds to me like you should junk the exhaust not the Malossi!!!

Whatever someone had done to my old mk1 would really have done your head in, as it as really rev happy. Went well though....

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

It came to me with the malossi fitted so I don't know what weights are in it, but i'd guess at the sport ones! As soon as you touch the throttle it just revs its nuts off! It just seems so stupid and embarrassing when you're just creeping along in heavy traffic! :oops: :lol: Cant wait to get the dr pulleys fitted this weekend! 8-)

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

" Established in 1969, Mivv creates motorcycle exhaust systems with unique materials, look and performance. Plus an inimitable sound." ....... for an inimitable sound read ... ferking noisy or great for attracting the attention of the officer with a speed gun ;)
Have wheels, will travel :D

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

I repacked the MIVV baffle as there was hardly anything on there and its much better. I do like some noise to a bike whilst commuting in London as it helps alert the phone stareing pedestrians and meandering cyclists to my presence! Normally with a scoot, you can keep the revs and noise down by working the variator, but in this case the malossi is allowing the MIVV to shout ME ME ME everywhere! :shock: :lol:

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Are you going to revert to the original variator? A combo of Malossi variator and Dr Pulley sliding roller thingies would be interesting!!! And loud... onlookers should be afraid, very afraid!

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

The biek didn't come with the OEM variator, but they seem to be cheap enough on eBay if I wanted to go that route? I'll try the DrPs in the Malossi first though.

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

Well I got it all apart today and found it has a malossi clutch in it! I replaced the malossi rollers with 17g dr pulley sliders and replaced the malossi belt with a Yamaha one. I weighed the malossi rollers and found they are 14g ones, so it should be a bit calmer now. Will test ride it tomorrow.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

14g rollers! Wow! No wonder it revs its nuts off! I think the combo of the Malossi variator and Dr Pulley could be serious fun!
I think whoever owned your TMax before you might have been a case of 'all the gear, no idea'...lots of extras and mods, but necessarily the ones you'd pick. I think I might have seen it advertised previously, but I kept well away!