Window shopping?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Window shopping?

Post by Snail »

Hi all, been to couple of dealers to look at the Yamaha xmax400 and Suzuki burgman400, I have brochures for both they are comparable in size weight performance etc.

What I would like to know and dealers can't tell me is the maximum loading each bike will carry, that is to say rider pillion all luggage etc

Servicing cost and intervals, just a general idea/ comparison of the two scoots

But most important is the max loading as we are 90% two up.

Thanks Snail

Starmax
Current Ride: Yamaha XMAX 250 RA

Re: Window shopping?

Post by Starmax »

Snail wrote:Hi all, been to couple of dealers to look at the Yamaha xmax400 and Suzuki burgman400, I have brochures for both they are comparable in size weight performance etc.

What I would like to know and dealers can't tell me is the maximum loading each bike will carry, that is to say rider pillion all luggage etc

Servicing cost and intervals, just a general idea/ comparison of the two scoots

But most important is the max loading as we are 90% two up.

Thanks Snail
Download the owner's manuals for both. I found a PDF of the manual for my XMax 250 (I've got the printed manual but wanted the PDF so I can keep on my phone) and that tells you max weights and service intervals.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

steve_h80
Current Ride: silverwing 600

Post by steve_h80 »

I'm amazed the dealers can't tell you, it'll be in the user manual that comes with the bike.

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Snail - you chopping in the sh300i already

Snail

Post by Snail »

Symcity wrote:Snail - you chopping in the sh300i already
Hi the sh is a fine scooter we like it very much, but our combined weight and shopping in top box puts us over maximum load rate, we are always two up, I admit I didn't give this a thought before buying it as most people I expect. it is the accelerated wear on the transmission which for me has highlighted this, we would like to have a couple of weekends away on it each year but i would need something else to achieve it? it also dosent follow that bigger is better the silverwing has less than ours, it maybe that I will need to leave the scooter world buy a geared bike as this would cope better? Cb500x loaded no better but having a gearbox would make the difference in maintenance?

After doing some research it turns out that most scooters or bikes have very low loading allowances, which would make sense when you see them being ridden solo? If I was solo there wouldn't be a problem, how many of you tour/camp two up?

I haven't seen a 400 burgman in the flesh yet but it's a monoshock? I'm hoping that it will carry more weight?

The sh will be parked up for the summer as we are off to Europe next Sunday for several months in the camper time to think and lose some weight on the pushbikes will help the situation

Snail

Post by Snail »

like your reasoning Meldrew,and I like the biggies, but I fear I am trying to get an all rounder which may not exist?
unfortunately when I want to take scooter on trailer with me the weight limit is 250 kilos, also think it maybe too heavy for me to move about? so to I have ruled out the over 400cc scoots?

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

I sat on a Triumph Thunderbird today and was surprised I could flat foot it. A bike's tempting but on the way back the heavens opened and my jeans stayed dry. I'll stick to the scoot.

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Snail wrote:like your reasoning Meldrew,and I like the biggies, but I fear I am trying to get an all rounder which may not exist?
unfortunately when I want to take scooter on trailer with me the weight limit is 250 kilos, also think it maybe too heavy for me to move about? so to I have ruled out the over 400cc scoots?
You'd be OK on weight bud, Silverwing kerb weight is 236 kilo's, you should have said on the ride out, you could have had a spin on mine (insurance permitting)
Have wheels, will travel :D

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

Snail wrote:like your reasoning Meldrew,and I like the biggies, but I fear I am trying to get an all rounder which may not exist?
If it's any help the TMax DX has a max payload of 199kg and has a kerb weight (ie. wet) of a relatively light 216kg for a maxi, well within your limit. So no reason to rule out this particular over 400 on weight grounds. And the DX has cruise amongst other great features, ideal for those long motorway type journeys.

I'm a wimpy old fart and have no problem pushing the TMax around. I wasn't always that way, I used to be just wimpy.

The T is very light weight compared to the obesely 60kg heavier 650 Burgman and weight was one of the reasons I chose it over the Burg when looking at the three large engined maxi contenders I was willing to consider when buying last year.