XMax 250 Test ride

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

XMax 250 Test ride

Post by Sylar »

I am looking at a second bike to go be a stable mate with my Silverwing 600. Yesterday I got a test ride on an xmax 250. Oh my god I nearly dropped it!! the seat height was unexpected and I could not touch the ground, and made a right show moving off. The first thing I noticed was that the screen was so low down as to be useless, I felt like I was sat on top of a stagecoach, no wind protection at all. The engine was lively enough as I went on some country lanes I am used to and it cornered well at fifty mph. The seat height was the clincher, when I came to give the bike back I couldn't find the side stand with my foot as it was too far back. How anyone can ride these things amazes me. I got on my Silverwing and both feet flat on the ground. and moving off no wind and I was sat in it rather than on it. My old Burgman 400 must have had a low seat as well, it really was a scary experience, Yamaha x or T max are not for me. I am not small at 5 10" but short legged apparently.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Re: XMax 250 Test ride

Post by muddyfox »

Sylar I'm 5 foot 7inch with a 30inch inside leg. I have no problems with my 2014 250xmax.The scooter is well balanced and I find I only have to put my feet down when at a vertual stop. Tip toes I admit. At first I would slide down the seat before stopping to get flat footed onto the road but soon got over this. Agree the original screen was very noisy and caused buffering but a change to a sports screen resolved these issues.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

You should try an X-ADV...now that DOES have a tall seat. I remember putting my foot down at a set of lights thinking 'I hope my foot touches ground soon, or I'm going to fall off!'

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

If you have trouble with your legs dangling, the J300 has a narrow seat which means shorties (5'8" myself) can put feet flat down.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Sylar

Post by Sylar »

I did a check on seat height, TMax was highest at 800mm, xmax400 was785mm xmax300 is 795mm, taken from Yamaha's latest brochure, My Silver wing 600 is 740mm.

Sylar

Post by Sylar »

I have decided to buy a Cruisym 300. I keep going to a dealer, that has one in stock, and the more I sit on it the more I feel it is right for me. Just got to Haggle a bit now for price and extras. I am still not happy about no test ride, but, it seems to be the modern way to buy a bike now. :roll:

muddyfox
Benefactor

Post by muddyfox »

I've owned three Sym's and they proved to be utterly reliable. Only reason I moved over to a Yamaha was the local Sym dealer closing down. When it came to part exchanging the last Sym I had a major argument with the local CMC sales man who was adamant he could not consider a part exchange as "Chinese scooters are bad business". If only people realised how good these Sym scooter are their resale value would be where it deserves to be. Enjoy your Sym and don't forget to post some photos.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

muddyfox wrote:I've owned three Sym's and they proved to be utterly reliable. Only reason I moved over to a Yamaha was the local Sym dealer closing down. When it came to part exchanging the last Sym I had a major argument with the local CMC sales man who was adamant he could not consider a part exchange as "Chinese scooters are bad business". If only people realised how good these Sym scooter are their resale value would be where it deserves to be. Enjoy your Sym and don't forget to post some photos.
Sang Yang Motor co are actually a Taiwanese company so the CMC salesman has limited knowledge of the Sym brand - I owned a Sym Citycom 300 prior to my Honda sh300i and it was a fantastic bike - hope you enjoy the cruisym when it arrives

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

The more I hear about CMC, the worse it gets! Symcity is quite right, Sym, like Kymco, are from Taiwan, and the smaller scoots especially are every bit as good as the major Japanese or European makers....who's products are often made in Thailand, India, China...

muddyfox
Benefactor

Post by muddyfox »

The fact that the sales man at CMC did not know or accept that Twainese , especially the Sym brand, are superior to the Chinese was the cause of the argument. The last thing he stated as I got on my Sym to ride away was "Punters only recognise the major brand names. To them everything else is Chinese."
The word Twat was running through my mind as I left CMC.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe