BMW C400X v Beverley

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: BMW C400X v Beverley

Post by MrGrumpy »

Jimish wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:06 am

In dealers next month they say. Fully specked will be about 7k. Got to be worth a look.
Maybe....but if you can't afford a Tmax at £10k, a Kymco AK550 at £9k would seem to offer a lot better value....assuming you can track down one of those mythical beasts!

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

Yes I was going to say that if you want decent underseat storage - and a worthwhile windscreen - then the BMW is not the best choice when there are so many cheaper, better alternatives.
Without BMW's current reputation for build quality...
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

Jimish
Current Ride: Honda NC750X+ Peugeot Metropol

Post by Jimish »

Meldrew wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:44 am I like a lot of things about the BMW C400X, but as someone who uses and appreciates a large amount of underseat storage, the drop down BMW Flexcase set up would be pretty useless.
Agreed, and I will be using it for camping so some throw overs and a top box and my ortlieb bag, I will cope. One good thing about the flex case is coz you can’t use it while riding you won’t fill it up with other crap and then then not have it available for helmet when you go walkabout. Some reviewers are saying that there will be side cases available but I can’t find any on’t tinternet.
Then there’s the burger 400..............
So many choices and so little time.
Some days you’re the lamppost. Some days you’re the dog. icon_shit.gif

Jimish
Current Ride: Honda NC750X+ Peugeot Metropol

Post by Jimish »

Jimish wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:06 am
charles1976 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:03 am Will be very interesting to see price and release date of bmw 400
In dealers next month they say. Fully specked will be about 7k. 3 years warranty. Heated seats. Heated grips. Full connectivity with sat nav.
Got to be worth a look.
Update. Dick Lovett BMW in Bristol says they won’t be in until early next year and the basic price is now £6200.
Some days you’re the lamppost. Some days you’re the dog. icon_shit.gif

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Jimish wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:53 am Update. Dick Lovett BMW in Bristol says they won’t be in until early next year and the basic price is now £6200.
Yeah - I think the Connectivity / smart phone / screen stuff (whatever it is) is around a £1000 option. Ouch. To me, the BMW flexcase thing is a nice idea, as I normally use most storage when parked up (to store helmet/gear) rather than in transit. But when I looked at the original C600S, they had made the opening so helmet focussed that it seemed to reduce the flexibility of the space - ie a helmet would go there, but not a bag or jacket. So the upshot was that I'd have needed a topbox anyway, which seemed to undermine the point of the whole idea.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

I believe they are made by Loncin in China. https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/r ... 018-review

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

MrGrumpy wrote:So the upshot was that I'd have needed a topbox anyway, which seemed to undermine the point of the whole idea.
Fitting a rack and top box to my Tmax has transformed it into a much more flexible bike for pretty minimal outlay, I really can’t see a problem in fitting a (removeable) top box, but each to their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Pukmeister wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:02 am
MrGrumpy wrote:So the upshot was that I'd have needed a topbox anyway, which seemed to undermine the point of the whole idea.
Fitting a rack and top box to my Tmax has transformed it into a much more flexible bike for pretty minimal outlay, I really can’t see a problem in fitting a (removeable) top box, but each to their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Makes filtering a bit of a bind - sometimes I lean the bike over to get past someone's door mirrors only for the box to brush them as I straighten up. :(
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Pukmeister wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:02 am

Yes, I fit topboxes to all my scoots (even the Burger 650!), even though they travel around empty most of the time! It just an expense though, and of course add length which creates difficulty in a crowded garage. The BMW Flexcase idea seemed a clever idea on the surface to enable extra storage when parked up (when I need storage) meaning that maybe I wouldn't have to fork out for a box - and the cost of factory fit boxes + racks is gobsmacking - but the reality was that it didn't really work that well (as far as I could see from visual inspection without trying it for real).

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

MrGrumpy wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:57 pm Terribly good questions, to which there is no info around at all. We know the C650s have components made by Kymco, but I think BMW also have a link to Indian company Apache for small bikes, so either is possible. Bet the BMW approaches £6k in price....I suspect the BMW will be a better scoot than the Bev, but a lot pricier to run.
An Indian company called Apache. Like it!