Quick Vespa oil change question

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
DTO
Current Ride: X-max 300

Re: Quick Vespa oil change question

Post by DTO »

Data wrote:As said the exhaust does not have to come off. But the filter is still a little awkward to get at so get a filter removal tool. Chain or strap type is best. Again Halfords do a nice chain type for £4.95 that will fit the small size of the GTS.I did mine without the tool but wished I had used one as it's quicker and easier.
24mm shallow socket ( about £6 on eBay )
There’s also a special tool for the slotted filter .

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

DTO wrote:
Data wrote:As said the exhaust does not have to come off. But the filter is still a little awkward to get at so get a filter removal tool. Chain or strap type is best. Again Halfords do a nice chain type for £4.95 that will fit the small size of the GTS.I did mine without the tool but wished I had used one as it's quicker and easier.
24mm shallow socket ( about £6 on eBay )
There’s also a special tool for the slotted filter .
Thanks for the info!

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

DTO that's a nice looking filter tool. I hadn't seen that. Is it an exact fit on the very small Vespa oem filter?
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

DTO

Post by DTO »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Vespa-GT ... SwPhdU2MAX

Yes made for the standard filter with slot on end . I’m going to order for £13.50 will take the hassle out of changing filter :)

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

You make something similar by filing / fitting a bit of shim steel or some such across a six wall socket...
Mate had made me one when I had the old Gilly Runner...
But Nothing like the proper tool for the job though... strap wrench or chain wrench or failing that the old screwdriver hammered through the filter and oil all over the garage floor!
Pattern part HiFlo I think just had a hex on the end for a socket...

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

I did the job today. Oil from halfrauds and oem filter from local m/c shop. It took longer than anticipated. First issue was the drain plug was too tight to undo by hand, needed my electric impact wrench, off it came. Second issue, I bought a chain wrench, it didn't fit too well between the filter and engine case, I marked the case getting it off, not too bothered it's out of view. Apart from spilling some oil on the drive got it done in the end. I learnt you really need the correct tool for the job, I'll invest in the correct oil remover tool ready for next time although it would be nice if they just put a simple hex head on the end.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Smeg, sorry if you had issues with the chain removal tool. Which one did you get. There's quite a small one that Halfords sell and that worked ok for me. So I'm feeling kinda responsible... I did advise you to get one. But very glad you did the job. I don't know why workshops do the drain plug up so tight either. It doesn't need to be anymore than around 22-25nm. Col Kawasaki did my drain plug up so tight I had to order a new one because even the proper size socket wrecked it, and that was a proper 6 sided pro jobbie. It is made of alloy and doesn't need more than a tweak. There's no way it would have seized itself into place either. I replaced mine and used 22nm of torque. It's just a gently nip up.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

DTO

Post by DTO »

8CEAA962-5059-45AA-905D-4FB6CCA43044.jpeg
064D8F4E-8F7E-47F3-A004-429E36BF5045.jpeg
Got tool on Saturday , Well made and heavy . Fits the piaggio, Malossi , hiflo or any with the grooved top . 24mm spanner or 1/2” drive bar .

£13.50 on eBay.

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

Data wrote:Smeg, sorry if you had issues with the chain removal tool. Which one did you get. There's quite a small one that Halfords sell and that worked ok for me. So I'm feeling kinda responsible... I did advise you to get one. But very glad you did the job. I don't know why workshops do the drain plug up so tight. It doesn't need to be anymore than around 22-25nm. Col Kawasaki did my drain plug up so tight I had to order a new one because even the proper size socket wrecked it. It is made of alloy and doesn't need more than a tweak. There's no way it would have seized itself into place either. I replaced mine and used 22nm of torque. It's just a gently nip up.
When I was in our local Halfrauds I didn't see a chain one, I got one from Machine Mart for £5.99 it's a Clarke brand. Nicely made thing tbh. Don't worry about the recommendation Data, it's my fault for having limited knowledge and it was only £6!

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

DTO wrote:8CEAA962-5059-45AA-905D-4FB6CCA43044.jpeg064D8F4E-8F7E-47F3-A004-429E36BF5045.jpeg

Got tool on Saturday , Well made and heavy . Fits the piaggio, Malossi , hiflo or any with the grooved top . 24mm spanner or 1/2” drive bar .

£13.50 on eBay.
This is on my Christmas list!