Vespa 300 GTS Oil suitability

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Vespa 300 GTS Oil suitability

Post by smeghead »

I'm wanting to change the oil/filter on the Vespa GTS 300. I understand it takes 5w40 grade fully synthetic. When I look online there is a bewildering choice and a huge price difference. I know that a motorcycle specific oil is recommended for wet clutch bikes but as the Vespa has a dry clutch would any brand be OK. I've seen some Comma XFG5L 5L X-Flow Type G Fully Synthetic 5W40 Motor Oil on Amazon, 5lts for £18.74 would that be OK or should I get out of 'tight Yorkshireman' mode and dig deep into my pocket?

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Re: Vespa 300 GTS Oil suitability

Post by SH125Paul »

I would go with the Halfords 5w40 Fully Synthetic Motorcycle Oil... Made by Comma
5lts - readily available... sometimes on offer - I have a Halfords Trade Card so get about 20% off...
Was what I used in my Gilly Runner VXR200, and have used it in the XMax250 and 400...
Will prolly go over to that for the SH125 when the last of the 4lts of 10w30 Castrol is all used up...
Halfords also do a 1lt 10w40 Semi Synth Gear Oil, again made by Comma for M/Cycles Scooters...
Saves dipping in to the engine oil and more 'custom made' for transmission use...

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Hey bud, the email didn't work (file size error) but, there's a PM still sitting in my outbox that has all the info you need ;)
Have wheels, will travel :D

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

As XMas400Paul says. I'd stick with a motorcycle specific oil. I use Valvoline motorcycle oil 5-40 fully syn from Halfords. It's expensive but gives great protection. It's oil film strength is double that of some fully syn car oils and it has hugely better flow rate and much better anti-static cling at high revs so protects really well on our high revving bikes. My Vespa is revving out at 7k plus all the time when I'm riding. My car engine is ticking over at 2200rpm at 70mph so isn't as stressed as my bike. That's really what it's all about, not just the gearbox and clutch stuff. When we tested our development engines in the real world we got up to twice the engine life out of them with a motorcycle specific oil in them as opposed to a car oil. Don't forget that you manual says to use oil that exceeds the standards for the usual car oils and they list those standards, and that has to be a motorcycle specific oil in order to do that. Of course, like many you could use a car oil, your motor won't just explode, but it will wear out more quickly. Not just that, but the motorcycle oil protects so much better at high revs and will reduce the chances of an early catastrophic failure.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

The Bern wrote:Hey bud, the email didn't work (file size error) but, there's a PM still sitting in my outbox that has all the info you need ;)
Cheers Bern, much appreciated.

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

Data wrote:As XMas400Paul says. I'd stick with a motorcycle specific oil. I use Valvoline motorcycle oil 5-40 fully syn from Halfords. It's expensive but gives great protection. It's oil film strength is double that of some fully syn car oils and it has hugely better flow rate and much better anti-static cling at high revs so protects really well on our high revving bikes. My Vespa is revving out at 7k plus all the time when I'm riding. My car engine is ticking over at 2200rpm at 70mph so isn't as stressed as my bike. That's really what it's all about, not just the gearbox and clutch stuff. When we tested our development engines in the real world we got up to twice the engine life out of them with a motorcycle specific oil in them as opposed to a car oil. Don't forget that you manual says to use oil that exceeds the standards for the usual car oils and they list those standards, and that has to be a motorcycle specific oil in order to do that. Of course, like many you could use a car oil, your motor won't just explode, but it will wear out more quickly. Not just that, but the motorcycle oil protects so much better at high revs and will reduce the chances of an early catastrophic failure.
I saw the Halfrauds stuff, I'll have a wander down there for a shufty. Thanks for the info.

kishan
Current Ride: gilera runner 125ST

Post by kishan »

i used mobile gtx 10w40 on my runner works fine never caused isuses on my engines used the same on my 4 stroke typhoon125 when i had it.
PIAGGIOOWNERSCLUB.FREEFORUMS.ORG - THE HOME FOR GILERA , APRILIA , PIAGGIO AND VESPA OWNERS.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

without getting into the long debate about viscosity is 5w not a winter weight oil??

I always thought anything 10/?? was the best for average UK climate.

Also fully sync no issue with dry clutch it was only in wet clutches that alleged problems occurred.

I tend yo use part syn' getting best of both worlds and touch wood no issues to date (+ I have gallons bought during special offers)

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

5w is indeed usefull in winter...
But the Vespa/Piagio scooters qoute 5w40 Fully Synth... Down to tight tollerances and clearances i understand?
I would also recomend brushing some on the external casing... (only joking) As the paint fell of mine in no time...

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

We found 5-40 fully syn motorcycle oil had better oil film strength, hot and cold, than 10-40 fully syn car oil. That's no surprise as the fully syn car oils tend to offer oil film strength in the 75-89,000 psi area while most good fully syn motorcycle oils operate in the 88-110,000 psi area. Thats leaving aside the other benefits of motorcycle oils. So quite a difference and a good reason to use motorcycle specific oil. Just saying, not wanting to hijack the thread and start an oil discussion.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...