Burgman or???

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
dogwheel
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Burgman or???

Post by dogwheel »

Hi,
I have an '05 Burgman 400-K5, and I really do like it, pretty much standard apart from a Givi High Screen, which I cut down to the correct height for me (so I can just see over the top edge in rain), I fitted Conti 365 tyres which are very confidence inspiring in all conditions especially along muddy, sh*tty, gravelly Herefordshire lanes, yes they are a bit noisy, but no worries, I'm going deaf anyway. (76 next month!)
For me the only drawback is the small wheels and potholes, you surely know all about that!
Now, to the point, my Wife says I've pretty much stopped using my other bikes, because of arthritis in my left hand and wrist and the Burgman being so comfortable, what with no clutch lever and no weight on the wrists due to the upright riding position; a bit more knee room would be nice, I guess a backrest mod would sort that.---missing the point again----

She says I ought to get a newer scooter, she's probably right. usually is!

BUT Which one? the 400 is quick enough for me, I can certainly keep up on Club runs, fuel consumption is pretty good (75/85mpg), tax for the 400 is cheap enough, and I can lump it in with the older stuff on my Classic Insurance Policy, because it's more than 10 years old.
Any suggestions please?

Cheers, Robin.

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Re: Burgman or???

Post by XP500FUN »

Hi Robin what tyre do you have on the back if you don`t mind me asking ?

Best Mark.

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

XP500FUN wrote:Hi Robin what tyre do you have on the back if you don`t mind me asking ?
Errrrrrrrrrrrr
dogwheel wrote: I fitted Conti 365 tyres which are very confidence inspiring in all conditions especially along muddy, sh*tty, gravelly Herefordshire lanes
;) :kiss:
Have wheels, will travel :D

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Sorry age thing !!!

I was just wondering as my recent city grip has really smoothed out the bumps.

I know the conti go`s are quite soft, not sure about the 365`s.

But I do know fitting Metzeller feel frees is like taking off the shock/s and fitting solid metal bars.

But on the better on bumps front you can`t beat a T max !!! Robin.

Best Mark

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

dogwheel, I'd definitely get the later more powerful 400. And if you can go for a 2010 onwards as they have the better more refined engine over the earlier 399cc motor (and your current 385cc), they rev higher but the piston is different so it doesn't suffer from oil use issues. Best bit is the frame and suspension is also more refined and it takes the bumps better. In all a really really great bike that'll do anything, even two up. It has more ps and torque than all the earlier 400's, yet it's even more economical. It also has the 5 shoe clutch which is stronger and smoother.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Note that the most recent Burger 400s (2017? onwards) have shrunk a little compared to the ones that came before - which may be good or bad depending on your point of view.
Now, the answer from me is always buy a Tmax, but if you are really happy with the Burger then it may be best to stick with it - the obvious competition is the Yamaha Xmax/Majesty 400 or Kymco Xciting 400 which probably don't offer that much more. As has been mentioned, Burger 400s have experienced a slow but steady evolution meaning that later ones are a bit better - sliightly more power, twin front disks, bigger luggage space, bugs fixed etc etc.

dogwheel

Post by dogwheel »

Thanks everyone, It wasn't such a daft question after all! I'll be on the lookout for a nice 2008, or later Burger400 then-----unless I bite the T Max bullet!
Mark, I like the Conti 365's enough to say that I'd fit them to my next scooter, despite the road noise.
I wish they came in the sizes for my Honda CL350.
Cheers,
Robin.

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Listen to Mr Grumpy ( good advice ) Robin, if you can fit on to a T max OK go for it.

Failing that the Michelin city grip I`ve just put on my Silverwing has made it so much comfier and smooths out the bumps much more plus better handling.

And as it wears in its getting better. Just feel lucky really.

But worth a go if anyone else suffer`s with bumpy roads etc.

But hands up though, our roads are dreadful.

Best Mark.

dogwheel

Post by dogwheel »

So, I'm now leaning towards a T-Max, I don't understand then Mk's and Model years, would it be worth looking at an '08 T-Max?
Robin

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

dogwheel wrote:So, I'm now leaning towards a T-Max, I don't understand then Mk's and Model years, would it be worth looking at an '08 T-Max?
Robin
A 2008 model is probably a mk3, so one of my favourites, but quite a sporty model.I've just bought one - see my Tmax Musings post.
A rough Tmax chronology
mk1 2001-4 500cc, wet chain drive, Carbs, single front disk
mk2 2005-8 500cc fuel injection, more power, wet chain, dual front disks.
mk3 2008-11 new chassis, wet chain,
mk4 20012-15 530cc, final belt drive
mk5 2015-16 530cc, belt drive, Upside down front forks, radial brakes
mk6 2017+ new chassis, USD forks, new rear suspension, Ride by wire throttle

Snag is that Yamaha made a habit of selling off lots of old models at a discount as soon as a new model was released - eg a 2008 model is probably a mk3, but it might be a mk2.

The models all have their strengths & weaknesses but are all Tmaxs. The mk1 is probably a bit outclassed now, the mk2 offered a bit more performance. The mk3 is great fun, but probably slightly sportier than others, the mk4 is a bit more mature, never tried a mk5, whilst the mk6 is pretty sophisticated and rapid.