AK550

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
kav
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Helix

AK550

Post by kav »

Finally got around to opening this month's motorcycle sport and leisure; and there, there was an article on the AK550.

After you have read the article you realise (when you come to write about it here on the forum) it hasn't really told you much. Perhaps thats just the sign of the times, the internet has made people lazy readers (me included) and the magazine market has to adjust accordingly. Or on the other hand, maybe its just their token nod to maxi scooters, bikes always seem to get a better write up in MSL. Still there was couple of letters on the XMAX300 and MP3 - the trend being of older riders picking up a scoot after many many years on a bike then eulogising their ease and practicality, and extension to a riding lifetime.

- much made about that Noodoe and that it is to be updated so can link to phone sat nav.
- great feel of brakes and lights (in the dark)
- feels lighter than its 226kg and easy to manoeuvre
- nicest indicator switch ever used
- comfort wise not quite club class, but close
- suspension wafts you along without jarring or vibration
- screen adequate
- true touring machine
- simplest and easiest centre stand of any bike ever ridden

Interestingly they name the closest rival as Burgman 650, not the TMAX. They put the Burgman ahead of the AK but note how much heavier it is at 277kg.

Price they have down as £8879. I find it strange that the Kymco website has so little information on the scoot, other than a twitter link. Also with Sym selling their Maxsym 600 at £6300 I cant really see many of these being sold at all.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: AK550

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well, MSL used to be the best mag for maxi coverage, though MSL, MCM and O2W are all part of the same organisation these days - you find the same article cropping up in each! O2W were claiming that they had the first (and apparently only) ride on the AK550 but their article didn't say that much either.

How they claim that the Burger 650 is is the closest rival I can't imagine! I can only think that Kymco told them that in order to draw attention away from its similarity from the Tmax! There is no doubt that the AK550 is aimed squarely at the TMax and is a very close competitor to it. £8879? That's a little more than I expected. The Maxsym really isn't in the same class.

I'm sure a comparison test between the Tmax, AK550 and the new Sym 500 Tmax lookalike would make interesting reading!

charles1976
Current Ride: shopping around

Re: AK550

Post by charles1976 »

At 8879 I'd definitely go for a tmax even if it was just for retained value!...agreed very little info on kymco website....previously I had a max sym 400 and will be interested to see how that turns out price and review wise.

Dropping a friend off at bill Smith motorcycles I noticed the had a couple of yamaha x max 300 and 400s...so on sat in both, very well made machines but seemed cramped riding position the burg 400 however felt great!