Dr Pulleys, J Costa`s etc What do you have in yours ?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Dr Pulleys, J Costa`s etc What do you have in yours ?

Post by XP500FUN »

Hi as a member just fitted a J Costa and has had great results, I thought it would be interesting to see what variator upgrades members have in thier type scoots in one place.

Be it J Costa`s, Dr Pulley`s, or Malossi, Pollini`s etc

So what do you have in, and how is it now compared with the standard set up ? etc

Or are you happy with what you have thats standard, in what you have ?

I suppose some variator changes may be supplemented with stronger springs and different clutches etc too.

Best Mark.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Re: Dr Pulleys, J Costa`s etc What do you have in yours ?

Post by Ralph »

I had a new 2010 Burgman 400, and after a few thousand miles decided it reved a bit hard at speed for me, fitted Doc Pulley standard weight sliders this helped but then modified them by adding a bit more weight to bring them up to the next weight up, it was fitted with a Gates belt and the shoes in the clutch were champherd on the leading edge as you would with new brake shoes this to stop squeaking and smooth the take off after this I was happy with it and opening the throttle at speed resulted in a change down in gear very much like kick down on a car auto.
The present scoot a Xmax 300 only has 3000 miles so dont want to bugger with it but to be honest am happy with it as is the Doc Pulley weights seem to have tripled in price so unless I find something at 12000 miles when a new belt is called for it will stay as standard.
When I was looking into mods for the Burger I looked at the J Costa and a few seemed to be having problems with the plunger weights getting flat spots and the bell were the plungers slid had a habit of developing hair line cracks, these problems may be over but worth keeping a eye on.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Dr Pulleys in the current bike and the X9/Leonardo in the past.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Dr Pulleys...
I like the thought behind the idea... by a change in the shape from round, you get a lower gear at start off - say similar to one tooth of a front sprocket... and a higher gear at the end - say similar to 1 tooth up... plus the material last for ages...

Can't remember if I fitted em to the old Gilly Runner... fitted to the XMax 250, then the 400, now the SH125

One thing I found when I fitted em to the 400, was by going down 1g (prolly less than the 10% recommended) found it way to revvy...
especially for stop start town use / commuting... found the same with the SH... so I go with the standard weight...

I always go with OE belts - or OE make... Mitsuboshi / Bando etc.
The one on the XMax400 had covered 24000 miles and was still within spec (book quote change at 12000)...
Although a new belt (old Dr P's) has given a little more initial ooomph