SLUK report on the AK550

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Aaron
Current Ride: Yamaha Tmax Tech Max 2022

Re: SLUK report on the AK550

Post by Aaron »

In Australia they sell new for $12990 AUD (£7375 Pounds, $8420 euro)

Aaron

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

I could be wrong but car remotes a a different kettle of fish. Their remotes are designed to work over fairly long distances to open doors as well as the ignition.

With bikes, it's just the ignition and so the effective range (at which it works for the rider as well as can be hijacked from) is a matter of a couple of foot. Oh the Yamaha your can plip the indicators to locate the bike but this does not deactivate the security.

So I really wouldn't be concerned.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

StephenC wrote:I could be wrong but car remotes a a different kettle of fish. Their remotes are designed to work over fairly long distances to open doors as well as the ignition.

With bikes, it's just the ignition and so the effective range (at which it works for the rider as well as can be hijacked from) is a matter of a couple of foot. Oh the Yamaha your can plip the indicators to locate the bike but this does not deactivate the security.

Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

StephenC wrote:I could be end but car remotes a a different kettle of fish. Their remotes are designed to work over fairly long distances to open doors as well as the ignition.

On the TMax DX version which has a tracker built in, I can activate the horn and indicators to come on continuously from anywhere by using the app on my phone if it tells me that the bike has been moved without authorisation. However, after the first year included in the cost of the bike, there will be a subscription charge from Vodafone for the tracker which I understand will be a bit pricey at about £100 per year so I'm not sure I'll renew.

I'm not convinced of the anti theft merits of a tracker because if the bike was nicked by people who know what they are doing, they know how to disable it later. Also, if it was stolen, I'm not sure I'd want it back because they probably will have damaged it substantially in trying to overcome the tracker and the rest of the electronics that prevent starting without the key and maybe busted the steering and centre stand locks etc.

As for ease of theft, the TMax is one of the most thief proof bikes. Keyless does not make it easier to steal, harder if anything because as StephenC suggests, the fob range is only about 80cm and it has to be turned on as well. But its primary anti theft feature is not keyless, it's that you can lock the centre stand as well as the steering. This makes it more difficult for the opportunist thief though of course it cannot prevent a van job.

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

MrGrumpy wrote:Hopefully I'll never need the emergency procedure, and I have stored the owner's manual and magic code on my phone. But it sounds seriously difficult - entering the code by pressing something in response to flashing lights sounds very error prone, especially as one is likely to be in a somewhat stressed state! And of course if you switch the engine off before reaching home, you have to go through the whole process again!
Not a further discussion on keyless but for information, on the TMax there are two possible warnings given for low smart key battery, which is supposed to last about two years.

One is when the smart key system light on the dash flashes for 20 seconds when the ignition is turned on. The other is if the light on the SK does not come on when its on/off button is pushed. So in either case renew the battery without delay. Or, if you are really worried about this, replace it regardless after, say, a year or so, doesn't cost much.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

abitmad wrote: Not a further discussion on keyless but for information, on the TMax there are two possible warnings given for low smart key battery, which is supposed to last about two years.

One is when the smart key system light on the dash flashes for 20 seconds when the ignition is turned on. The other is if the light on the SK does not come on when its on/off button is pushed. So in either case renew the battery without delay. Or, if you are really worried about this, replace it regardless after, say, a year or so, doesn't cost much.
Thanks! I'll have to look up which light on the dash is the Smart Key system light!! I'd have assumed that if the light on the key button didn't light, it was dead, but I guess having a little warning is helpful.
I think the manual says the battery will last 2 years in 'normal' usage, but of course what is 'normal'? I presume that I use it less frequently than most, so the battery will probably last longer, but I guess that it would be safer to replace it every 2 years.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Further report from Visordown on the AK550

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-fir ... uper-scoot