SLUK report on the AK550

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: SLUK report on the AK550

Post by MrGrumpy »

I like his comment that "To be honest it’s probably quicker and easier to just insert and turn a key, then press a starter." With the Tmax at least, I know how he feels! The AK550 user interface sounds even more complex than the Tmax mk6's!!!!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

By coincidence, Visordown have one too (or is it the same bloke?)
http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-fir ... tech-ak550
Doesn't say much, but apparently its a long term test so more articles to come.

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

MrGrumpy wrote:I like his comment that "To be honest it’s probably quicker and easier to just insert and turn a key, then press a starter." With the Tmax at least, I know how he feels! The AK550 user interface sounds even more complex than the Tmax mk6's!!!!
Don't know about the AK550, which sounds more like a submachine gun than a scooter, but anyway, I fail to understand your agreement with the view about a key being easier than keyless on the TMax, when the exact reverse is the case. You even hear this negative view on keyless from people who've never had it by believing, erroneously that it's somehow more "faff" than a key job.

Here's why. After switching on the key and sticking it my pocket before I go to the bike, I never have to touch it from start to finish on a ride. Let's say I fill up along the way, then stop for a snack etc. I can start, stop, open the fuel flap and seat, lock and unlock the steering and the centre stand if I wish, all without having to touch the key which remains in my pocket for the whole journey.

How is that more difficult than a key? It's much less because all those operations I mention above would require use of the key on a bike that had one. Therefore far from being easier and quicker to have a key, it's harder and slower. Given the choice, which we don't on the TMax but if we did, I'd far rather have keyless. I just don't get why people see keyless as a negative feature.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

I agree with everything you say abitmad. If only my topbox was keyless as well. My morning workflow is:

Unlock disk lock
Unlock chain
Put keys in pocket and zip up pocket
Unzip pocket and remove keys
Open topbox and remove helmet and gloves
Close and lock topbox
Put on helmet and gloves
Push bike out of garage and close door
Put keys in pocket and zip up
Sit on bike, turn knob fully clock-wise
Apply brake and press starter
Apply brake even harder and press starter
Put side stand up
Apply brake and press starter.
Notice disk lock hanging from mirror
Turn off engine
Put down side stand
Unzip pockets and remove key
Open topbox and put disklock in.
Lock topbox
Put key in pocket and zip up
Goto "Sit on bike..."

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

My problem with the keyless system is partly due to having to turn the key itself on & off. OK you don't have to, but it saves battery life. So I have the smartkey and have to prod it and check the tiny red LED to say its now on, then I can start it/ unlock it - fine. But when I stop, I have to prod it again to turn it off. Half the time when I try to turn the key on, I fail, or forget, or it was already on, so when I try to turn the scoot on, nothing happens, so I have to fish around for the key and try again. And then I'm not sure if I turned the key off after I leave the scoot, so have to prod it yet again, and workout whether the LED gives a short or long glow to show whether its off or on. And the Tmax is irritating as you have to turn the whole thing on to release the steering lock so you can move it out of the garage.

But of course, life isn't that simple - I still need physical keys to put the topbox on, or open it, or for any mechanical locks I might use, so basically I need the smart key, a set of other keys, plus my house keys etc at any time.

Just having an old fashioned key would be better - put it in and turn is actually less hassle.

As I've said before, the Tmax keyless system is inferior to that of my Suzuki car, as the car smart key doesn't have a switch, and it only works as a transponder so still unlocks the car if its battery is dead - whilst on the Tmax if the battery dies, you are dead in the water until you can carry out the very complex emergency procedure.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

My wife was going to the doctors and was worried about parking. I offered to drive her down and then pick her up when she was done. So she got into the passenger seat and I drove down to town, dropped her off and went shopping. Turned off the engine, got out and pressed the door button to lock the car. Beep, beep beep it went. That's when I realised she had the key and I wouldn't be able to start the car or lock it. And of course, she's the one person who obeys the "Turn off your phone" sign in the waiting room.

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

MrGrumpy wrote:My problem with the keyless system is partly due to having to turn the key itself on & off. OK you don't have to, but it saves battery life. So I have the smartkey and have to prod it and check the tiny red LED to say its now on, then I can start it/ unlock it - fine. But when I stop, I have to prod it again to turn it off. Half the time when I try to turn the key on, I fail, or forget, or it was already on, so when I try to turn the scoot on, nothing happens, so I have to fish around for the key and try again. And then I'm not sure if I turned the key off after I leave the scoot, so have to prod it yet again, and workout whether the LED gives a short or long glow to show whether its off or on. And the Tmax is irritating as you have to turn the whole thing on to release the steering lock so you can move it out of the garage.

But of course, life isn't that simple - I still need physical keys to put the topbox on, or open it, or for any mechanical locks I might use, so basically I need the smart key, a set of other keys, plus my house keys etc at any time.

Just having an old fashioned key would be better - put it in and turn is actually less hassle.

As I've said before, the Tmax keyless system is inferior to that of my Suzuki car, as the car smart key doesn't have a switch, and it only works as a transponder so still unlocks the car if its battery is dead - whilst on the Tmax if the battery dies, you are dead in the water until you can carry out the very complex emergency procedure.
Okay, last word on this because we've discussed it before. Here's my reply to your specific points:

1 Yes you have to turn it on and off. But not for every short stop such as filling up or a snack. In practice I only turn it off if I'm not going to use the bike for a few hours at least. Also I don't understand your difficulty with the on/off switch, it's perfectly straightforward and works easily and well for me. Only have to press and hold it once to switch from on to off or the other way. The light is perfectly clear. If you need to check which mode it's in, which should rarely be necessary I think, just give the button a quick prod and the light tells you.

2 If you feel you need to lock the steering in the garage, yes you have to turn the ignition on to unlock it. If it was keyed, you would still have to unlock it with the key. Agreed you wouldn't then be turning on the ignition but so what? If that bothers you, then just turn on the bike with the key in your pocket to release the steering and then immediately turn off the ignition - no need to use the key to do that.

3 Agreed on the need for a separate topbox key and disc/chain lock key. But that would apply also to most keyed scooters unless the box had a key matched to the ignition lock. And disc or chain locks won't have the same key as the ignition. So all that for most is not going to be an advantage of keyed over keyless. Same goes for your house keys.

4 Agreed on the car version. My car also does not have an on/off switch on the fob so even simpler than the TMax. But the fact that car keyless is even more practical doesn't negate the merit of keyless on the Yam.

5 If the smart key battery dies on the TMax, that's a nuisance agreed but you are hardly "dead in the water" because that's why they have the emergency procedure. It is complex which is why you and I carry the instructions with us as we'd never remember otherwise. How common is that likely to be though? My TMax is now about nine months old and never had a dead fob yet. My car is around two years old and same. My previous car was three years old when I sold it and same again.

It's interesting how people differ in their views on this, those that actually have it I mean. I find keyless convenient compared with keyed so I welcome it but for you it's the opposite. Anyway, good to compare notes.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Hopefully I'll never need the emergency procedure, and I have stored the owner's manual and magic code on my phone. But it sounds seriously difficult - entering the code by pressing something in response to flashing lights sounds very error prone, especially as one is likely to be in a somewhat stressed state! And of course if you switch the engine off before reaching home, you have to go through the whole process again!

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

For me the Keyless thing is more about bikes as they get on.

I would happily buy a nice well kept Honda etc from 1988 so 30 odd years old with its real key.

But anyone buying a keyless bike in 30 years, if you still can by then would really be in trouble I`m sure.

Maybe even 10/12 years down the line things could get very awkward etc.

Give me a real key any day.

Best Mark.

bn1966
Current Ride: Vespa GTV 300 SG

Post by bn1966 »

AK550 looks nice but very pricey, not comfortable with the' key-less' thing in respect of theft, does it make it easier?..concerns currently in the four wheeled world.