Silverwing Rear Brake Pin help please.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Silverwing Rear Brake Pin help please.

Post by XP500FUN »

Hi well my silverwing seems to go from one thing to another lately.

Reaslised its also been doing some sneakey binding on the back brake, letting me know suddenly when about to set off, but looking at the disc its obviously done it on and off recently so I`ve not noticed as seemed OK on the lever !!! and how it went etc.

But maybe been excacerbating the vibes a little too. Just hope it has`nt damged anything else.

So took of the caliper as far as it goes and cleaned up the pistons and re greased but its the pin cauasing the issue.

Did what I could to help it in situ , but not helped really as so bad, Suprised down there they are not S steel or something serious wise !!!

Anyway basically it looks like it really won`t move so any tips ohn how to approach it, plus then advice on the worst case scenario of getting it out please would be very much appreciated.

Best Mark, Thanks.

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Re: Silverwing Rear Brake Pin help please.

Post by XP500FUN »

No I don`t have a manual, and the back brake is binding so needs to be fixed so it does`nt anymore.

This is not endless tinkering.

The back brake has started to bind.

Hence asking for some advice/tips on removing the corroded pin thank you.

Manuals are also not full of handy tips and things to do etc people discover on thier bikes.

A forum is a great place to get that sort of knowledge.

Best Mark.

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Breedin eck bud, I sourced you a cheap manual when you first joined, shame you didn't buy it, If you had a manual you could be more descriptive than just a corroded pin (there are more than one in the caliper) that or post a picture with an arrow/circle to identify the item in question
Have wheels, will travel :D

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

I had a rounded off pad pin recently on the rear caliper. I took the caliper off and cut the pad pin off with a hacksaw as near to the far side (opposite the rounded up end). When separated, I then a used pipe wrench (you might also use mole grips) then wound the pin backwards out of the caliper housng. A new pad pin was nine pounds.

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Hi its the little pin that sits behind a cover plug if you will and one end of the pads run along/over through thier little hole for that. Where it sits at the bottom/ back of the caliper is a very grotty place to be.

Ordered one for £5.75 from ebay looks Ok with a new plug.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391150936916

The little plug seems welded/ coroded in and the actual pin is very corroded.

If it was just a pin like some, you maybe can get in and turn them back sometimes with thin pliers etc. Thanks. But its plug out first somehow.

Did you get the plug out OK Sylar ?

Looks as if a family member who has a 91 VFR 750 has the same type of caliper.

I`ve had the pistons both well out and cleaned as well as I could with the pads in, and then regreased and went back in fine. They were Ok overall.

I think its coroded actual pin the pad moves on is causing the issue even though now a little better than was. It needs to be gone.

Anyway new one on the way.

Do you still have the link for the manual please, I`ve somehow missed that. Thanks.

I think I joined a couple of years before I got the silverwing.

I can`t recall any general tinkering etc with the bike, but I`ve taken the rear wheel out twice to get 2 tyres fitted and the front once.

Fitted a new belt, and also deglazed the clutch not long after.

I know now to do that anyway while in there in future.

Just wish they still made the and sold the Silverwing.

I`ll be really keeping on top of the pin and caliper etc from now on.

Just googled and pro bolt do caliper pins in stainless, just going to see if there is one for each end of the Silverwing

Many Thanks Mark.

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

The little plug is made of rubber, you just hook it out. I always use a long allen socket to undo it
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6mm-HEX-KEY- ... MXQTghRQQI~
to fit inside the Nissan caliper, I ground some metal off so it fits square inside the recess.
Works well on Beverley brakes and my Deauville, CBF600s and Deauville.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Hi Thanks Dave, I think sadly this plug is rusted in metal. Would be better if it was rubber. I think the new one coming is rubber.

Thanks for the link I will order one, or a set with one in as a good idea. I don`t have any of those.

I am thinking too I might ask the local car garge 500 yards up the road to deal with it before I round things off etc, though rather tackle it myself.

Might just call my VFR owning realtion in to action. Its certainly something I will be keeping an absolute eye on in future.

Still can`t work out why they are not stainless as std. Literally pennies.

Thanks Mark.

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

The thread of the pad pin is in the part that it first enters the caliper, the rest of the pin has no thread, I got it out as I described.

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Ahhh, that one, yep it's a bugger all right, don't know about other models but the plug is deffo steel on my one (later models may well have rubber) T remove the plug I took the caliper off the bike, put it in the bench vice, warmed the ally then dripped some alloy wheel cleaner around the plug, left it to work over a cuppa & then 'wound' it out by gently taping with hammer & centre punch. After that progress as suggested by Sylar.
If you don't have any acid based alloy wheel cleaner try soaking invinegar overnight.
As to the WSM that was a paper one on eblag so will be long gone by now
Have wheels, will travel :D

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Hi Thanks good advice and all much appreciated.

I might order two stainless bleed nipple`s too then if I can.

Waiting to hear from Pro bolt re stainless pins, will get one to replace the new mild steeel one and the front one too if I can.

Best Mark.