T-Max drive belt question

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
mac65
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda ADV 350

T-Max drive belt question

Post by mac65 »

Hopefully some of the T-Max owners will be able to help me here. My brother owns a 2015 T-Max and I was talking to him the other day and he was telling me that his Max is due a drive belt change. (The one that drives the rear wheel) and he has seen prices in the region of £300. Is this the norm or are there better deals to be had with good quality belts. All help much appreciated. icon_thumbs_up.gif
enjoy eXtra to the Max

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: T-Max drive belt question

Post by MrGrumpy »

You mean the actual final drive belt (to the rear wheel), not the CVT V-belt?? Is it knackered? I'm puzzled when you say its 'due' a change as Yamaha don't give an interval for replacement... but you are supposed to regularly inspect and replace if damaged. I believe the price of the official Yamaha belt is £270 approx, but labour shouldn't be much. I don't think I've heard of anyone replacing one before.

mac65
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda ADV 350

Post by mac65 »

Yeah it's the belt to drive the rear wheel, my brother said hand book states change at 18000 mile. But just checked on line at Yamaha UK and it states check every 6000 miles until 24000 miles then check every 3000 miles. And replace if damaged! So thanks for your help, will have to tell him.
enjoy eXtra to the Max

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

mac65 wrote: But just checked on line at Yamaha UK and it states check every 6000 miles until 24000 miles then check every 3000 miles. And replace if damaged! .
Yes...the suddenly shrinking check interval after 24k miles in the book had passed me by. It says exactly the same thing in the mk6 book, although the belt design for that is different to that on the mk4 & 5. I'm pretty sure that the book for my 2012 mk4 was a bit different, along the lines of check every 6000 miles or something. Perhaps Yamaha have found that they start failing after 24k miles.....

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

CVT Belts... Go OE / Mistsuboshi for Yamaha...
The XMax400 CVT belt was about £100...
As for the drive belt?

Check the Fowlers parts site... Good diagrams, listings and prices...

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Post by tmaxrobbo »

My Mk 4's was shot at 15000 miles . made odd shrieking noises but looked ok . All belts seem to make more noise than the good old oil bath chain of Mk3 backwards

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Mine made lots of horrid squeals and squeaks, but I didn't want to replace it! I clung to the hope that somebody could do something to it....but I then solved the problem by trading it in! The mk6 has a very different design - lets hope its less hassle than the mk4.

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

i had a BMW F650CS scarver with belt drive to rear wheel, my experience with it was to never change the belt. it had a small flint chip hole in it that got no worse (I found it embedded in the belt by revolving the wheel on the centre stand and feeling the smooth edge with my thumb.
If I was to renew the belt, then the pulleys should also be changed, and the total cost would be over £1000 including fitting.
I could not understand why they superseded the excellent enclosed oil bathed rear chain with an exposed belt. Don't ride the scoot off road, a flint chip could cost you dear.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i