Tmax DX Dead! Won't start

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Re: Tmax DX Dead! Won't start

Post by tmaxrobbo »

MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:04 am
tmaxrobbo wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:14 am Oh and I've bought a spare key £100 but worth it as I hate having only one key for a bike !
Does that include programming it? I asked about a spare smart key and I've forgotten how much they told me, but I seem to recall that the key wasn't that much but it cost a lot more to get it programmed! So I politely declined and settled for a new topbox/emergency key for £7 (+ cutting) instead!
£125 all in £25 to program it took half an hour

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

tmaxrobbo wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:23 am
tmaxrobbo wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:14 am Oh and I've bought a spare key £100 but worth it as I hate having only one key for a bike !
Does that include programming it? I asked about a spare smart key and I've forgotten how much they told me, but I seem to recall that the key wasn't that much but it cost a lot more to get it programmed! So I politely declined and settled for a new topbox/emergency key for £7 (+ cutting) instead!
Was that from a Yamaha dealer??

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Post by tmaxrobbo »

MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:52 am
tmaxrobbo wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:23 am

Was that from a Yamaha dealer??
Yes , well the dealer that supplied the bike . On The wheel in Brighton

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Anyone else had any similar issues? I picked up a 2017 DX yesterday that warn perfectly for 24 hours, but now exhibits exactly the same symptoms. Electronics all fire up, screen goes up and down etc. but hit the starter and nothing happens. The previous owner never activated the T-Max connect service with Vodafone, and I've not done so either, but I guess it's still possible that the unit failed and is refusing to unlock the ignition.

I've checked all the fuses, the side stand is up etc., battery is fully charged...I'm all out of ideas...

Nick

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

If you’ve tried the obvious then, One other thing to try is the voltage regulator.
Mine went recently while driving.
Pulled over and exact same symptoms.
Towed to garage. Replacement reg cured it!

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Pulled both brakes?
one could be duff
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Thanks for the tips, guys. I did try both brakes, and verified that they were both triggering the brake light. Voltage regulator is an interesting one...surely that would just stop the battery form charging rather than stop the starter relay from triggering? The battery has a good charge (I even tried swapping in a brand-new one I had just bought for another bike) and all the other systems are working normally...

It's almost like there's an additional interlock preventing the starter relay from triggering...that or it's a bad relay...is there an easy way to test that?

Nick

Ralph

Post by Ralph »

If you can find the relay it should have battery volts on one big wire one big wire to starter that should come live
when starter pressed if it does it could be a duff starter, one of the small wires should go live when you press
the starter if it does but the wire to the starter doesn't then think relay, this is a general idea of how the system
works as I don't have a diagram for your bike.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I presume you've checked the bleedin' obvious eg making sure the sidestand is fully up and the kill switch is in the on position? I've panicked myself with both these two on occasions!

Ralph

Post by Ralph »

The most likely suspect is the side stand switch they tend to get wet n filthy not to speak of the salt from winter roads.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif