Tmax DX Dead! Won't start

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Scootypuff snr

Re: Tmax DX Dead! Won't start

Post by Scootypuff snr »

XMax400Paul wrote:Not fit for sale?
Replacement Bike i would hope...

Sale of goods act, not fit for purpose

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

Since 01 October 2015, the old Sale of Goods Act has been incorporated into the Consumer Rights Act.

Here's some useful information from Which on the CRA and how to proceed with a claim against a seller, assuming you are in a position to make a claim, if they won't co-operate by fixing it in a reasonable time, providing a replacement or refunding your money.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights ... rights-act

As has been mentioned, I hope at least that the dealer has given you a loan bike in view of the length of time yours will be off the road. Incidentally, it's not Yam that runs the app and tracker, it's Vodafone.

8500rpm
Current Ride: TMax DX

Post by 8500rpm »

So another update...

(Sometimes I wonder if what the Service Manager tells me is correct/the thruth) but here it comes.

Today he told me that they cannot find the fault, so they have ordered a new 'throttle/start/stop' unit, he claimed there are some electronics in it and most likely that's where the fault is, but they cannot locate it specifically.

So it will be installed during the next 2 days, so on Friday next update.

I'm not sure what he is referring to, but maybe on the handlebars, the right side/throttle side, maybe the 'module' contains kill switch/start/stop/throttle and some digital stuff???

We'll see...

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

What he told you could be correct and it could also be bull**** being a non-technical nurd I can't really say,only thing I will say,don't let this deter you from the Tmax DX,they are indeed a fine machine,I do love mine in the short time I've owned it,perhaps yours may well be rectified or you may indeed get a new one,Yamaha UK are based in Surrey,phone number and details can easily be found via Google,if you get fed up with being fobbed off a call to them could help with your problem,

Good luck ,thanks for the update

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Hmmm...shades of Mr Rumsfeld's unknown unknowns, the guy may not know what's wrong but only repeating what the (no doubt fed up) mechanic told him, or what he thinks the workshop guy told him, either of which may or may not be what the actual mechanic thinks he's replacing, or thinks the fault may be, assuming he knows! I've no idea what a 'throttle/start/stop unit' is, although I guess part of it must be the thing that the (electric) wire from the throttle on the handlegrip attaches to...ie some form of potentiometer, which sends signals off to the computer. Could be the problem, though I somehow suspect (with no evidence of course) its deeper in the immobiliser /keyless system.
Anyway, I hope that whatever they are doing is the right thing, and it works!!!

8500rpm

Post by 8500rpm »

Stephen wrote:...only thing I will say,don't let this deter you from the Tmax DX,they are indeed a fine machine...
Of course not, I really really like the Tmax Dx, love it!

I'm getting a little annoyed and not much faith in the dealer, but I can wholeheartedly recommend the Tmax, and especially Dx for those who live in cold climates.

May was the warmest month in 100years in Sweden, really hot, but it was very nice in early April to use the heated seat&grips :)

Also, it's fast, reasonable nimble, and just rides the bends/corners so much nicer than the Xmax400 (which I also really liked).

.... but, back to the problem... will keep you updated on Friday.

8500rpm

Post by 8500rpm »

Update!

Haha, you will love this!

The ServiceManager called me, said it's not the Tmax, it's vodafones fault. And I need to call Vodafone and sort that out. It's not Yamaha.

So I said, but what? Yamaha has subcontracted/OEM Vodafones tech, it's still your product. Yamaha.

So he said, they cannot do anything, it's not their fault that I downloaded the App :)

So we were arguing for 10minutes, he is crazy :) He clearly have no idea of how it works. Then he asked, 'what number does your sim card in the scooter have'? and I was like... I have no idea, I don't even know if there is a sim card... he said 'Oh, so the feature came with the scooter' you haven't 'installed a telematics box' :)

Sh*t... I'm afraid now, they have no clue... Now they asked be to come to them next week, so they can have a look at the App. I said, why do you need me? If you just download the app and use my credentials? He was like 'No, it's your App, you need to come here with it' :)

Unfortunaly Yamaha has no contact info in Sweden, they just refer to the dealer.

Does anyone have contact info to the main Yamaha importer/Inc in Europe? In which country is it locaed?

I'm curious if it can be with them all summer, or can Yamaha give me a new Tmax :)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Bizarre! I believe that Yamaha's European HQ is in the Netherlands, but I can't tell as I'm automatically redirected to the UK site.
I thought it was only the UK that had hopeless and clueless dealers....

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Yep, as Grumpy says ^^^
Yamaha Motor Europe N.V.

Address: Koolhovenlaan 101, 1119 NC Schiphol-Rijk, Netherlands

Phone: +31 20 654 6000

About us

Founded in 1968, Yamaha Motor Europe N.V. (YME) is the regional headquarters of the Yamaha Motor Company in Europe

YME is responsible for coordinating the marketing and sales activities of Yamaha Motor products in the European marketplace, mainly: Yamaha motorcycles and scooters, marine outboard engines, Waverunner water vehicles, 4-wheel All Terrain Vehicles (ATV’s), golf cars, snowmobiles and generators.
Yamaha has invested in France to manufacture motorcycles, scooters and outboard engines.

Also located at our Schiphol-Rijk location:
- Our logistics centre for spare parts and accessories
- Yamaha Motor Nederland, the Yamaha distributor for the Dutch market

Totally designed, developed and manufactured in Europe, the YZF-R125, is an excellent example of how European R&D divisions and production facility are working together to create new class-leading products for the 21st century.
Website

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu
Headquarters

Schiphol-Rijk
Have wheels, will travel :D

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

8500rpm wrote:Update!

Haha, you will love this!

The ServiceManager called me, said it's not the Tmax, it's vodafones fault. And I need to call Vodafone and sort that out. It's not Yamaha.

So I said, but what? Yamaha has subcontracted/OEM Vodafones tech, it's still your product. Yamaha.

So he said, they cannot do anything, it's not their fault that I downloaded the App :)

So we were arguing for 10minutes, he is crazy :) He clearly have no idea of how it works. Then he asked, 'what number does your sim card in the scooter have'? and I was like... I have no idea, I don't even know if there is a sim card... he said 'Oh, so the feature came with the scooter' you haven't 'installed a telematics box' :)

Sh*t... I'm afraid now, they have no clue... Now they asked be to come to them next week, so they can have a look at the App. I said, why do you need me? If you just download the app and use my credentials? He was like 'No, it's your App, you need to come here with it' :)

Unfortunaly Yamaha has no contact info in Sweden, they just refer to the dealer.

Does anyone have contact info to the main Yamaha importer/Inc in Europe? In which country is it locaed?

I'm curious if it can be with them all summer, or can Yamaha give me a new Tmax :)
I have a DX as I mentioned earlier and if the problem really is with the app, then I agree with the dealer that you/they need to contact Vodafone rather than Yam, to try and sort this out. In any case, why not do that if it means a quick resolution to the problem? You do have to be there because it's on your phone and there are probably security questions required and certain other details from you etc.

If that fails then yes, go to Yam but although as you say, Yam have contracted Vodafone to run the app, there is in fact a direct business relationship between the owner and Vodafone because you have to register the bike yourself direct with Vodafone when it is set up. In fact it's so direct that after the first free year there is an annual subscription of around £100 payable to Vodafone to continue using the app/tracker.

It's a sad story for what is otherwise a superb scooter and a bit scary for us other DX owners.

On your other point, under British law if the bike is expected to be off the road for months, given that it's quite new, you would very likely be entitled to a replacement or refund and it is the dealer who is liable, not the manufacturer. No idea about Swedish law.