Tmax DX Dead! Won't start

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Re: Tmax DX Dead! Won't start

Post by muddyfox »

EvilRacer329 the Honda X-ADV rear end design is also a dirt magnet. Couple of MM's have complained of this and the lack of aftermarket huggers. A trip to Wales once on slightly damp roads exposed this "flaw". We got back to the BnB and the X ADV looked like it has been across a ploughed field. The other scooters/ motorbikes in our group were relatively clean. The wife of a friend, who has a X ADV, refuses to ride pillion on his because of road dirt thrown up onto her trousers. This was when this model was first available. Maybe Stephen could comment on this.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Thanks for the info folks, I'll pass it on to my friend. He seemed to like the T-Max and is trying to sort out a test-ride (he refuses to ride mine for fear of dropping it!) and he's got a ride booked on an X-ADV as well.

I'll keep you posted!
Nick

bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Post by bikerdezzie »

Can get huggers for the xadv now i think ermax and a few others do them.
Dezzie

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

You can, but in my experience with the Tmax, they do little to actually stop the rear end getting filthy. I won't bother with one in future.

Cloudswiper
Current Ride: TMAX 530 DX 2019

Post by Cloudswiper »

Guess what?

My 2019 XP 530 DX won't start!

Side stand is up.
Kill switch is set to on.
Been on an Optimate trickle charger.
Battery showing 12.7 volts
Both brakes held on.
Dash lights up. Horn & lights fine.
I never used the dreaded App (but I'm not the first owner...)
Quite click when pressing start button but no starter motor sound.

Bugger

I'll keep you posted

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

You know I'm not the great mechanical expert, but it may be the battery. It's always the battery! My car battery has just died!!! I think it should show more than 12.7V.
It could be the mad anti theft system locking you out of course, but you might not have got that far if it is. If it is the immobiliser, give up. Tell the insurance company its been nicked.....

Cloudswiper

Post by Cloudswiper »

Battery removed and checked over - including connections. Actually reading taken directly from terminals is 12.85.
Panel A removed
All fuses checked - including the second 15A one that tries to hide round the back. All good.
No loose wires spotted.
Confirmed that there is an electric 'click' sound when either brake is pulled and when side stand is put up - so presumably all those switches working.
Suspect that Mr Grumpy is right about it being something to do with the immobiliser.
Next move is to get an adaptor for my OBD2 reader and see what I can find.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Modern scoots are SO finnicky about batteries. If they aren't in absolutely tip top condition, then they won't start the engine. I think you should be getting 13 or 14V, but people who actually know what they are talking about will correct me!

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Yeah, 12.7, 12.8…those aren’t great numbers. If you’re hearing a click when you hit the starter then it could be the relay. When my battery went it had been on a trickle charger for days, but the battery was just too far gone. Where are you based? I’m sure a club member with a jump starter or spare battery can help you confirm!

In my case I took the opportunity to install a li-fe battery, save 2kg, and also make sure to leave all my bikes on charge at all times. Lockdown killed three batteries…

Nick

Cloudswiper

Post by Cloudswiper »

Thanks guys

Today I will check the voltage of the battery having been left off charge for a day. That should give me a clue as to it's health.
Then I'll try jump starting her. If that works it clearly means a new battery required.

Watch this space