Tmax DX Dead! Won't start

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
abitmad

Re: Tmax DX Dead! Won't start

Post by abitmad »

Yup, if there was a general problem with Vod and the app, the likelihood is that all DXs would be locked out. That's exactly what I thought had happened when I couldn't start mine recently, after reading the original post in this thread. As I've admitted, the answer was that I had entered full berk mode by leaving the sidestand down, a fact I picked up after contacting another DX owner "Stephen" from this forum when I asked if he could start his and he kindly went through all the usual start up procedures for me. I think I was spoiled by having another bike which does start with the sidestand down and had been using that one a lot lately.

Anyway, before I managed to exit berk mode, one of the things I tried, in the mistaken thought that the app might be causing the problem, was to delete it and download it again, then reconnecting with Vod. It made no difference of course in my case but the point here is that although I presumably have the latest version of the app it still doesn't have the remote engine disable function.

When I first considered buying a DX and looked into its features, including the whole app thing, I assumed understandably, because Yam says so in their blurb, that the remote disable feature, amongst the other features of the app, is a great idea. The dealer thought it so too for the same reason. They are a major and exclusively Yamaha dealer, very good, but I was probably their first DX customer so they hadn't seen the full operation of the app in practice. So I was a bit disappointed to discover that there is no remote engine disable feature.

But the DX is otherwise so outstanding by maxi scooter standards, doing everything I want from this type of bike and doing it brilliantly that I didn't bother to take the matter further.

As I've said, having owned the bike for about 10 months, I almost never look at the app any more. It's a bit flaky anyway and sometimes fails to update properly to supply latest ride data etc. I guess its primary usefulness is the tracker, which I'd only need in the event of theft. But if it was nicked, I probably wouldn't want it back cos the thieves will likely have ruined it.

Bottom line is that I don't really think the app is worth having, though all the other added features of the DX over the basic TMax definitely are.

8500rpm
Current Ride: TMax DX

Post by 8500rpm »

Ok Update 19th of June...

Talked to Vod/Talked to the Swedish 3rd party service providet for the telemetry service... and went to the dealer today (btw, one of the largest, not a small back alley Yamaha shop).

I got to meet (not the ServiceManager, he didn't even dare show up) the actual mechanic/technician. Younger guy, very helpful and friendly. Self-secure enough to openly admit that he has never seen this before, never touched a Tmax with telemetry. So I helped him reach the right contact at the telemetry service and he talked for a long time.

Outcome, no idea, but him and the telemetry service provider agreed to research together with Vodafone. If all other fails they will just change all associated electronics (which apparently is a lot, not only a small black box and off you go).

Now, they view this as a 'pilot case' so they showed interest in it. Unfortunaly I will most likely not get my Tmax back the 6-7days.

I then talked to the Owner/CEO of the Yam dealer (they are big) and he will try to get the Yamaha importer to provide me a loan scooter as long as they practice/research&learn on mine.

(one interesting comment from the technician who was kind/polite, 'typical Yamaha, they bolt on tech without properly training dealers or provide enough information on how to service')

Another thing I noticed, I've very very very seldom logged on to the Tmax Connect portal on the web... it's veery slow, many times not even LOADING the stats of the scooter, just blank page...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Oh...bugger. In other words, no-one has any idea what the problem is, or how to fix it.
As I said previously, if they can't fix it, they will have to replace the entire electronic systems in the scoot as if you'd lost the smart key and access code (costs a fortune in bits, but labour surprisingly little). Then you can decide whether you want to reinstall the telematics box and phone app....I don't think I would!
I mentioned this problem to a mechanic yesterday and he said that he'd seen something similar on a Suzuki of some sort, so its not Just Yamaha who do half-baked things

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

8500rpm....thanks for the updates.......

It would be nice if Yamaha replaced you Tmax....then shipped your one back to the factory for a full “post mortem”so that they know how to resolve the problem in case it happens to anyone else.....

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

I would want a NEW REPLACEMENT from a new batch...

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

8500rpm wrote:Ok Update 19th of June... Unfortunaly I will most likely not get my Tmax back the 6-7days...
That's unacceptable, it's gone too far at least under UK consumer law, given how new your bike is. Now that you have done your bit and co-operated whilst the dealer contacted Vodafone, and this still didn't work, as I mentioned earlier you should now demand in writing either a full refund or a brand new replacement, failing which you take the dealer to court. Quite obviously the bike is useless and equally obviously the dealer has been unable to rectify it in a reasonable time. Maybe things are different in Sweden but that's the UK position. From what you've told us, your case seems very strong to me on a UK legal system basis.
8500rpm wrote:...Another thing I noticed, I've very very very seldom logged on to the Tmax Connect portal on the web... it's veery slow, many times not even LOADING the stats of the scooter, just blank page...
Agreed, I said as much in my last message. The app often works poorly and is hardly worth having in my view.

8500rpm
Current Ride: TMax DX

Post by 8500rpm »

"1-month anniversary update"

So tomorrow, 1-month since it went to the dealer, still there...

This great and service minded service technican called me today (service manager off course not) and gave me an update. Yamaha and Vodafone cannot locate the problem. Vodafone wants Yamaha to search for 'broken cables' etc. (the whole scoot has had its electronics gone through already 2 weeks ago so not there). Yamaha importer and Vodafone doesn't agree on the problem now. So the service technican has ordered a new setup of 'whatever is needed for the telematics box'.

He doesn't know when it will arrive and he said he has no clue on how to configure it, as it's apparently in a certain way you enable and configure it to the scoot (on the server).

He could give me no timeline on when this could be ready as he doesn't know anything, neither did Yamaha importer.

So, even if I really like the service technican, the poor guy is doing his best, I had to contact the Owner of the dealer, haven't got a reply yet, sent a lenghty email. Polite.

I'd really like Yamaha to just buy back the scoot for the same price I paid for it and I would happily buy a new Tmax.

Next week if no progress or comm on new scooter I need to contact a lawyer who deals with consumer problems.

I can NOT believe this is Yamaha? The global 'leader' in motorcycles etc...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Oh bugger, again. If the collective minds of Yamaha, Vodafone and the dealer cannot even make a guess at the problem, then it is time for a replacement. Either a replacement Tmax until yours is fixed, or a complete replacement.

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

8500rpm wrote:"1-month anniversary update"

So tomorrow, 1-month since it went to the dealer, still there...

He doesn't know when it will arrive and he said he has no clue on how to configure it, as it's apparently in a certain way you enable and configure it to the scoot (on the server).

So, even if I really like the service technican, the poor guy is doing his best, I had to contact the Owner of the dealer, haven't got a reply yet, sent a lenghty email. Polite.

I'd really like Yamaha to just buy back the scoot for the same price I paid for it and I would happily buy a new Tmax.

Next week if no progress or comm on new scooter I need to contact a lawyer who deals with consumer problems.

I can NOT believe this is Yamaha? The global 'leader' in motorcycles etc...
You are doing the correct things,certainly need to keep everything polite & civil,glad you are still keen to be a Tmax owner,i’ve not let you problems put me off,i am taking mine away for a few days this weekend,really looking forward to it,once again thanks for keeping the forum updated.....

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

SkuTorr
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax Mk3

Post by SkuTorr »

Two Words:

1.) AK 550
2.) NOODOE