Tmax DX Dead! Won't start

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
abitmad

Re: Tmax DX Dead! Won't start

Post by abitmad »

Thanks guys.

One thing that springs to mind... RTFM :roll:

I have RTFM. I'm one of those saddos who actually does so cover to cover immediately when getting a new bike. In fact I actually enjoy doing so. :ugeek:

So after owning the DX for nine months I have always been aware that the sidestand has to be up to start it. You'd think that, along with the kill switch, are the two obvious things to check when the starter doesn't respond yet the battery is fully charged and all the electrics come on properly. I did check the KS but for some reason that I can't explain, not the stand. Crazy.

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

I had handlebar muffs on my first X9 and managed to switch off the Kill Switch whilst trying to switch on the heated grips. That I was travelling at around 60mph on the Southend Road at the time made for an interesting experience.

Side stand? Done that one many times.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

I did something similar Waldorf. Went for a run, stopped for a brew and tried to start up it was dead . Took handlebar muffs off to check things and kill switch was on. You only do it once but, a panicy few minutes.

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

8500rpm wrote:I will update you as soon as I get some feedback from the Yamaha dealer. I just hope it won't be there for 3 weeks...
Did you get a diagnosis on the Tmax DX?

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

8500rpm
Current Ride: TMax DX

Post by 8500rpm »

Stephen wrote:
8500rpm wrote:I will update you as soon as I get some feedback from the Yamaha dealer. I just hope it won't be there for 3 weeks...

Steve
Not yet, the dealer promised to get back to me tomorrow. Its been in for over a week. No fault codes.

I suspect software problems. Keyless system?

Will keep you updated.

newscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Grinnall BMW trike

Post by newscooter »

Had the same thing happen to me in the Seventies. Bought a brand new BMW R90 and then couldn't get it to run a week later . I rang the dealer to be told 'this model now has a safety switch'. Red face but a working bike !

8500rpm
Current Ride: TMax DX

Post by 8500rpm »

8500rpm wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Steve
Not yet, the dealer promised to get back to me tomorrow. Its been in for over a week. No fault codes.

I suspect software problems. Keyless system?

Will keep you updated.
Ok, so long talk with dealer (Service Manager).

No progress, or little, it now starts every now and then, but sometimes it's dead. They have removed the engine from all electrics and running 'on the bench' it starts and works flawlessly but plugged into the on-board electronics it's sometimes dead.

They see no fault codes. Everything measures Ok they say, but they have no idea what it is.

Of course, I'm not happy, 1,5week later and no progress, commuting by car to work :(

I do however have some understanding, 'old motorcycle mechanics' are now facing a flood of on-board computers/connectivity. What if there is a bug in the software on Yamahas servers, and sometimes it disables (theft protection) the engine without showing it stolen status.... or whatever, but it sounds very much like a computer problem to me, not 'some dirt in the 2nd cylinder' ;)

Well well, what I do wonder, Yamahas warranty, how long can it be there before I can ask Yamaha to hand me a new Tmax??? 1 month? 3 weeks? or can it be at the dealer all summer without them having to compensate me?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Oh dear...if only it was something straightish forward like a flat battery! Still the engine itself is fine, so its clearly the electronics. I guess they will replace the lot, rather like if you'd lost your smart key and /or key code (or lost the master key on previous editions). £900 worth of kit - labour surprisingly little, apparently.

I think you could ask your dealer for a loan bike/scoot whilst yours is being fixed. God knows what they'd give you - probably a 125 scooter! I believe that when you buy something your contract is with the Retailer rather than the manufacturer....though there again, its a Yamaha warranty you are claiming under!

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

SO how are they starting a modern electronically controlled motor on the bench with out plugging it into the bikes ECU for the codes???

They are not like old motors with points you could run on the floor..More to this than meets the eye..

****I do however have some understanding, 'old motorcycle mechanics' are now facing a flood of on-board computers/connectivity****
No excuse that they should all have been trained on new machines, if not on every thing then the Rep will have been...
Time to start talking about a replacement machine....
Hope it gets fix-ified soon..
Lyn.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Not fit for sale?
Replacement Bike i would hope...