Tmax DX Dead! Won't start

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
fullcirclemax
Current Ride: Integra

Re: Tmax DX Dead! Won't start

Post by fullcirclemax »

[quote=EvilRacer329 post_id=293789 time=1563121213 user_id=7658]
Thanks for the tips, guys. I did try both brakes, and verified that they were both triggering the brake light. Voltage regulator is an interesting one...surely that would just stop the battery form charging rather than stop the starter relay from triggering? The battery has a good charge (I even tried swapping in a brand-new one I had just bought for another bike) and all the other systems are working normally...

It's almost like there's an additional interlock preventing the starter relay from triggering...that or it's a bad relay...is there an easy way to test that?

Nick

[/quote.
Don’t the brake levers have to be pulled in further than for brake light activation?

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Hi guys, I checked the relay by swapping it with the one on my V-Strom - they're *almost* identical (poles are reversed) and once I figured that out I was able to get the 'strom to start with the T-Max relay yet no improvement on the scooter. The side stand is well and truly up, and I know that switch is fine because I can hear another relay in the rear tripping when I raise/lower the stand. I even dismantled the right-hand switch cluster and checked that the kill switch has continuity when activated. As for winter sal...this thing has a grand total of 2,200 miles - it's immaculate.

It really does seem like the bike is stubbornly refusing to trigger the relay when asked; the starter switch is connected to the ECU because that's what wakes the bike up first and foremost, so I'm back to suspecting software or a security interlock... :(

Thanks again for the continued suggestions!

Nick

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

RE brake lever, I actually removed the switch entirely so that I could check with the plunger - there do indeed appear to be two states, and once again I can hear a relay tripping up front as I cycle the plunger through the various states...

Nick

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

Have you checked you’ve not accidentally not turned the key fob off..........

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

Forget that just reread your post,you have power ect.......

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

Stephen wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:09 am Forget that just reread your post,you have power ect.......

Steve
Is it still in warranty or has it just ran out? My local Yamaha dealer have been helpful towards me,when my DX was stolen and recovered,easy to deal with,i know some are not as helpful.....

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Is it still in warranty or has it just ran out? My local Yamaha dealer have been helpful towards me,when my DX was stolen and recovered,easy to deal with,i know some are not as helpful.....

Steve
I'm afraid not, Steve - expired in May. Previous owner barely rode the thing! :)

I called my local dealer, Motorcycle World in Northampton, their service writer reckoned I'd already tried half of what they'd do and the next step was to plug it into the diagnostic system and see what was up. They're gonna call me tomorrow to arrange a collection. Their van driver lives near me apparently, so fingers crossed I'll get the collection for free at least!

And I was so looking forward to riding it this week...what a bummer. :(

Nick

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Quick update, Yamaha picked up the bike last night. I'll post an update when I hear from them...

Nick

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Ralph wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:30 pm The most likely suspect is the side stand switch they tend to get wet n filthy not to speak of the salt from winter roads.
I'd love it to be that simple, but I can hear a relay in the rear of the scooter clicking when the stand is raised and lowered. And as previously mentioned, it's got just 2,200 miles on the clock and no evidence that it's ever been ridden in winter. It really is practically brand new...

Still, I'm speculating - in a few days' time Yamaha should be able to tell me what happaned...and how much it'll cost me... :roll:

Nick

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

Be interested to here the outcome,they had a brand new Black Dx in there a couple of weeks ago,still waiting to have its pdi done,i did want the blue at first,but like my black one,its kinda grown on me.....

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright