Tmax DX Dead! Won't start

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Tmax DX Dead! Won't start

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yeah, but its OK the service manager saying to 8500rpm that he has to call Vodafone and get them to sort it out, but that's not going to be easy. Imagine the call to Vodafone, even if by a miracle you are get through to a decent call centre. They'll say 'what is the problem' and you'll say 'my motorbike won't start' and they'll think you are nuts. You explain that you've been told its their app that's causing the problem. So Vodafone will ask what's happening with the App, but no-one's mentioned that the App is giving any troubles itself, or if its giving any error messages, so Vodafone will probably say that as far as they can see, their App is working fine and the problem must be the bike! So unless you can contact one of the 6 people in Europe who actually understand the App I think its going to be a waste of time (in other words, just like any other call to a call centre).

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

It may not be as bad as that because they have a dedicated Vehicle Services centre. It's not only Yam that uses this system, the app and tracker is used by some other vehicle makers too. You don't have to call Vodafone generally, it's a special number.

When I recently had a similar scare story that I wrote up here following 8500rpm's original message, suspecting something wrong with the app that was locking out my bike (though as mentioned later, it was idiotic me who left the sidestand down), I got as far as calling Vodafone VS to attempt to solve it and was put into a queue of several people. So yes it's a pain but not as bad as you might think. It was at that point, thanks to a suggestion from another owner that I know, that I realised it was all my own fault so I hung up and never got to find out just how awful (or good) it might have been to deal with them.

Nevertheless I think you are wrong in suggesting it's a waste of time, because they have this dedicated VS centre. In any event, what other route is there if it really is Vodafone and the app at fault? Contacting them in that case, despite the hassle, is likely to be the quickest way out of this and our reader will have to be there to do it at the dealer as I said earlier.

If that fails, then yes he's back to the normal complaints procedure against a dealer.

The DX is far better specced than the basic model but part of that includes the app and tracker which I don't think is worth having. I wouldn't have had this if I had to pay for it but they give it to you free for the first year. I doubt I'll be renewing the sub for £100pa after that. I rarely look at the app now since the inital novelty has worn off, though I guess the tracker could be useful if it's nicked but, if the app failure of our reader is Vodafone's fault so a cockup by them can just lock you out any time, that makes it potentially disastrous so even less worth having.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

OK, if there is a dedicated centre for Vehicle Services, you might stand a fighting chance. Though with call centres, nothing can be guaranteed. Presumably the app could be deleted and reinstalled on your phone (if that did any good), but does it (can it?) need reinstalling on the scoot?

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

I doubt reloading the app will do it if the problem is with Vodafone itself but maybe worth a try. You can't do anything with the "telematic box" on the bike. Only Vodafone can access that and they will presumably know if something is wrong with it or with their own internal system.

As I suggested earlier, if the dealer is correct that the problem lies with the app/Vodafone, I don't see that our reader has any choice but to contact them, probably together with the dealer, however much of a hassle it is.

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

No way do you contact Vodaphone, once you do that you're taking on the responsibility and absolving Yamaha.

As has been said, you contact Yamaha who built and supplied the bike and give then two weeks (more) to fix the problem or you insist they take the bike back as unfit for purpose and demand a full refund.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

Vodafone have to be contacted to sort out the problem, assuming it really is with them. Others can't access it as far as I know which is why I think the dealer wanted the owner present when they contact them. In my view any action would fail where the owner behaved unreasonably in refusing to be party to contact Vodafone in a situation where their co-operation is essential to try and solve this.

As I said before, if Vodafone can't sort it then further action along the lines you suggest against the dealer and/or Yamaha would be appropriate but only then.

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

As was said before Yamaha "employ" Vodaphone to deliver certain functionality, so it isn't for an owner to ran about dealing with various subcontractors.

Deal through Yamaha only or there'll be no knowledge of the end to end position.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

What i would like to no at this point is: IF, the problem does turn out to be with the app/Vodaphone ....does the OP have to pay for the work done by the Dealer it being NOT s fault with the machine????? with the dealer having said they have had the motor out and working on the bench..i still think this is a load of friggin lies....

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

Clearly the key fob is with the dealer isn’t it?so the bike and key are talking to each other,i dont think it needs to be in garage mode!!!!! Whilst in the dealer,but check on that.When i collected my DX the dealer struggled to show me the ins & outs of the bike,I dont think they had sold any DX’s until i brought one & needed to do some research,i did the registration with vodaphone myself at home,i did struggle at first and gave it up for a week or so,then tried again and fortunately got a really helpful girl at the tracker call centre,you need to speak to a human when you register with vodaphone tracker as they do tests to check the scooter is responding,i’ll be inclined to keep throwing responsibility to your dealer,once you start to do things for yourself the dealer will take giant steps backwards,unsure how your consumers rights work in Sweden.......Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

8500rpm wrote:Update!

Haha, you will love this!

The ServiceManager called me, said it's not the Tmax, it's vodafones fault. And I need to call Vodafone and sort that out. It's not Yamaha.

So I said, but what? Yamaha has subcontracted/OEM Vodafones tech, it's still your product. Yamaha.

So he said, they cannot do anything, it's not their fault that I downloaded the App :)

So we were arguing for 10minutes, he is crazy :) He clearly have no idea of how it works. Then he asked, 'what number does your sim card in the scooter have'? and I was like... I have no idea, I don't even know if there is a sim card... he said 'Oh, so the feature came with the scooter' you haven't 'installed a telematics box' :)
That is worrying,clearly dealers either hav’nt been educated by Yamaha on the new machines being released or the dealers dont give a shit and paid no attention .......steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"