Sym Maxsym 600i abs

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Re: Sym Maxsym 600i abs

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Hi all. I bought my Maxsym new in March last year, replacing my second Burgman 400 (hence my username, which I really should change now). My overall impression is a Burgman 400 on steroids! A great tourer and will hold 85 easily. My only disappointment, though a minor one, is the fuel consumption round town of less than 50 mpg. I expected more than this. 60 plus on a run though. The underseat storage isn't quite up to the Burgman's (at least the 2012 model I had), but maybe I have been spoiled.

Yes, a great machine and I am happy with it. A cheaper, though less powerful alternative to the likes of the Burgman 650 and the BMW C650. Good to see so many fellow owners about. Hope you are all as happy with it as I am.

Administrators: how do I go about changing my username?

donjack1964
Current Ride: sym maxsym 600i abs

Post by donjack1964 »

just in case any maxsym owners need to find the VIN number on the frame.
the red area is where it is.

why ride 1 mile when 10 will do!! :D

road runner
Benefactor
Current Ride: MaxSYM 600i + Vespa GTS

Post by road runner »

road runner wrote:
Maxster wrote:Should help for plugs...hit translate
http://maxsym600i.centerblog.net/m/42-r ... e-sym-600i
Thanks Maxster, I will give that a try in a few days!
Fitted the Brisk plug yesterday and after about a 50 mile journey all seems well. I was warned to check tick over as some individuals have had problems with higher rpm when on idle. After initial start up mine settled to its specified 1500 rpm which was good, as I do not think the Sym has the facility adjust the rpm with a screw.
Acceleration, certainly feels smoother and a little quicker but I have still to check the mpg. That said, after doing 178 mikes on Saturday, with the original plug fitted on a mixture of A and B roads plus motorway the Sym returned 71 mpg! Plug was due to be changed anyway, so took the opportunity to give Brisk a try. Only time will tell.
Thanks again Maxster for the link to accessing the plug!
Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery but today is a gift!

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

I put a Brisk LGS plug in a Majesty, it used to stall occasionally and the new plug stopped it doing that. It seemed to run better, I don't think it was my imagination. My Vespa is fine but it has an NGK twin electrode plug.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Meldrew wrote:I've never seen the point of sourcing purchasing and fitting an obscure spark plug brand like Brisk, when the readily available pre-gapped Iridium version of a standard NGK plug doesn't cost that much more, seem better for start up, give a few more mpg, and lasts many thousands of miles.
Well the Brisk I fitted improved the running of the Maj, it was smoother and less snatchy, plus it never stalled at tickover again.

road runner
Benefactor

Post by road runner »

Meldrew wrote:I've never seen the point of sourcing purchasing and fitting an obscure spark plug brand like Brisk, when the readily available pre-gapped Iridium version of a standard NGK plug doesn't cost that much more, seem better for start up, give a few more mpg, and lasts many thousands of miles.
I have fitted Iridium plugs on other marques before and they have worked well. Just wanted to try something different this time and as said before, only time will tell if the Brisk plug makes a significant difference.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

The Brisk spark plug range is not really an 'obscure' brand. It's been about a long time and is readily available. However, it is mostly bought online. I've only seen it displayed in a couple of garages around where I live. Some of their radial plugs are amazing and don't need gapping, and because of no spark shielding by an electrode, they really do give a performance boost, even over most irridiums.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

The only point I want to make is, don't extend the service interval for looking at plugs, at least take them out every year, otherwise they could be impossible to remove at a future date.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

road runner
Benefactor

Post by road runner »

Dave Weller wrote:The only point I want to make is, don't extend the service interval for looking at plugs, at least take them out every year, otherwise they could be impossible to remove at a future date.
+1

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Good reminder Dave! Often overlooked. :o
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...