Foresight + Helix

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Foresight + Helix

Post by Jimo »

I'd been looking for a Helix to replace my Burgman, such 'Hen's Teeth' were just not to be found on the web 4 weeks ago but I was introduced to a really super Foresight 250 by The Bern as the next best thing - thanks Bern..... having just got it nicely settled in, insured & taxed, an uncanny event occurred through information from forum member 'Jaz' - of a really beautiful Honda Helix 'for sale on eBay.... https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/2z8AAOSw ... -l1600.jpg of course I didn't really need another bike already having too many in the garage - but I had to have it to replace the '90 Helix I regretted selling 4 years ago having had it from new, I bought a Burgman 400 thinking it had more 'umph' then had my first heart attack within days of getting it.... later I found it far too heavy and lady wife with her small stature was unable to mount it because of its size and seat width (like a Cammel it was); The Helix with its very low seat height as well as comfort for the pillion rider suited wifey - so with her vetting and approval the Helix has been added to the stable and will be made ready for instant use upon its arrival in a couple of days.

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

kav
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Helix

Re: Foresight + Helix

Post by kav »

That looks absolutely cracking, can't believe I missed it on ebay - I have a search for a Helix; might well have had a punt myself. Also missing a Helix, I commuted probably over ten years on two of them, the only scoot that stayed long term in my stable. The regular oil changes were a pain though. Big end went on the last one, I took it from two thousand to 24 thousand miles but a London commute is hard on a bike.

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

When I bought my first Helix in 1990 it was one of the very first of its type in UK, standing in the showroom next to bikes like Triumphs and BSA's with the odd Vespa as well, to say it stood out was no exageration as it attracted many curious onlookers,
at that time although I had my Sunbeam S8 I rode the Honda NH80 Lead as my everyday transport. Having recently met my wife-to-be I wanted a bike that would be comfortable to ride and didn't spill oil all over the place (and one's clothes) as most British bikes regularly did.
Entering the showroom to closer inspect the Helix it wasn't long before I was approached by a salesman and we chatted about the Helix....."would you like a trial run" he asked, well er - YES but my hats at home, ill have to go get it and will return in 1/2 hour I said; this I did returning to expect a pillion ride because in those days drive-it-yourself trials were out of the question, the dealer had removed the scoot from the showroom and put it on the forecourt, after checking minor details like driving licence etc the salesman passed me the key saying "off you go -where you like" .
Almost unbelievingly I set off on the Helix down the A2 from Bexley to Rochester and return, a tidy distance where the bike/scoot behaved beautifully - even to riding 'hands-off' for a short distance where the scoot continued its straight line without trouble, this is the bike for me I decided when I returned to the showroom where I tried to order one, the dealership had only the one Helix and that was already sold albeit with permission to grant test rides by fully qualified riders. My order was placed and I waited some 4 weeks before being informed that the dealership had got my bike and was giving it a PDI bedore releasing it.
In due course the bike was passed over to me and off I went, all was nearly well - except that unlike the test ride bike this one had a tendancy to fall to the left when handlebars were released unlike the test ride bike that ran straight in the same circumstances, I mentioned this to the dealer who after checking the bike said he could find nothing wrong with it. I complained to Honda at Chiswick who later told me that after taking a number of Helix out of their packing cases and riding them they were all the same and advised me to always hold the 'bars when moving. This characteristic became annoying after a while as it transferred additional strain to my arms on longer journeys.

Over the next 28 years I covered just 7,000 miles on it before selling to get the Burgman 400 which later proved to have been a step too far because of its heavy weight coupled with my advancing years and diminutive wifey's inability to mount the thing led again to its disposal - but the Burgman diversion further enhanced virtues of the Helix that had earlier been taken for granted, namely its lighter weight coupled with low seat height that wifey could manage that could allow us greater riding opportunities once again despite our combined aging and demands of health. Intervening years have also turned the Helix into a kind of cult vehicle some say, with its availability since production ceased in 2007 becoming a bit of a 'Hen's Tooth' find.

Jim

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

Just a quickie, I'm learning how to use the photo app......
A photo of my Helix:
Jim
Nope - doesnt work trying to use postimg.cc. Never mind.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Jimo I will say one thing and that's you are a tryer.
Open Postimages and select one of the folders that appears.( Probably named "Default")
Select "Upload"
Click on browse.
Find photo you want to upload and click on it.
Progress bar appears as photo is being uploaded.
When uploaded click the "Share" icon.
Drop down box appears with lots of options.
5th option down "Thumbnail forums" and click what looks like two sheets of paper on the right hand side and the link will copy.
It is now OK to close the Postimages app.
Open Maxi Muppets forum and go to the usual box for adding posts to the forum.
Hold your finger over a blank spot in the box and "Paste" option will appear.
Touch this and the link from Postimages will download. You will only see script not a photo yet.
Now click the blue box "Full Editor & Preview".
You should now see your photo.
If your happy with the result click the blue "Submit" button and just let the interweb magic do its job.
Hope this helps. Failing this bring your iPad to the meeting on Sunday 12th August and we will sort it for you.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

Nope! Can't get that to work either! Thanks Barry. I know I'm trying - it gets worse with age!
Looking forward to the 11/12th August, see you there. Foresight or Helix! - if all else fails SUNBEAM S8

Jim

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

Completed installation of new CVT set-up today, new OEM rollers, clutch shoes and belt on Helix, next job for tomorrow will be to renew all locks including ignition switch, on the existing switch It was noticed that the key could be removed while engine was running! Should soon be back on the road with work log (very important) to support it.

Jim

Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Post by Whatsisname »

kav wrote:That looks absolutely cracking, can't believe I missed it on ebay - I have a search for a Helix; might well have had a punt myself. Also missing a Helix, I commuted probably over ten years on two of them, the only scoot that stayed long term in my stable. The regular oil changes were a pain though. Big end went on the last one, I took it from two thousand to 24 thousand miles but a London commute is hard on a bike.
Have you seen this one on Gumtree? Might need a van for all the spares!

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbi ... 1304332240
I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

Good shot Whatsisname, though I do prefer the darker red colour, sombody will be a very happy new owner I'm sure.

My Helix (actually a Spazio) is turning out to be somewhat of a 'project bike' the simple? replacement of the ignition switch is NOT according to the service manual! Murphy an intrepid previous owner/tinkerer, has been here too! where he took the whole front off the bike for whatever reason then reassembled it wrongly trapping the ignition switch connector block in a totally inaccessible place thus causing me dismantle the whole front lower panel and support framework to get at it, a job that will take days of time due to not being able to bend like I used to and the weather being too darned hot @ 32 C to work in the garage! Watch this space for more news on progress.....

Jim

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Whatsisname wrote:
kav wrote:That looks absolutely cracking, can't believe I missed it on ebay - I have a search for a Helix; might well have had a punt myself. Also missing a Helix, I commuted probably over ten years on two of them, the only scoot that stayed long term in my stable. The regular oil changes were a pain though. Big end went on the last one, I took it from two thousand to 24 thousand miles but a London commute is hard on a bike.
Have you seen this one on Gumtree? Might need a van for all the spares!

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbi ... 1304332240
His definition of 'lovely condition' and mine clearly differ somewhat. That's all I'm saying...