How to waste £130.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

How to waste £130.

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well, the Tmax is one year and 3200 miles old...the service manual says that you are supposed to give it an annual 'inspection'. Now it sounds like a waste of time, but to avoid any warranty hassles, I decided to take it to the local main Yamaha dealer for this inspection and I told them to do an oil change as it was more or less due. I had happy fantasies that they might even fix my off-throttle surging problem (under warranty).

So I eventually go back to collect it, and only then, by overhearing someone else's conversation, find out that they have just stopped being a Yamaha dealer! I don't hold these people in high regard anyway, so if I'd known they weren't Yamaha dealers I wouldn't have gone there! Anyway, they've done something to it - they've changed the oil filter which they didn't need to do until 12,000 miles (though with Yamaha oil filters tendency to rust through, maybe that's good), but now the brakes make nasty scrapy noises if you wheel the bike back. As for the surging problem, they haven't a clue, obviously. They say that their laptop says its all fine.

So that's £130 down the drain for something that was mostly unnecessary....

btw the surging issue - it practically hardly ever does it these days, but it no longer sets revs to 3000rpm when descending steep hills. I think these facts may be linked.

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Re: How to waste £130.

Post by Ferret »

Grumpy as long as dealer is vat registered and uses the recommended service items there is no issue with warranty. Regarding the throttle surging off throttle I will say it's sucking in air on the induction side or your ride by wire throttle /tps needs a reset regardless of what there laptop says . They could have done this as a matter of coarse while the laptop was plugged in . My m8s tracer had awful throttle issues same as computer says ok ,however his dealer is a good old one and re uploaded the fuel maps etc checked it over and its far better than it was when new . Just had my van in as diagnostic light on dash keeps showing up an error ,part replaced still shows error and the lights still on won't reset ,no one has a clue why lol .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bugsy
Current Ride: Honda 750x dct

Post by bugsy »

My 2017 first year 12 month T Max service was 144 pounds at my Norwich Yamaha dealership.

This years 600 mile fist service was 113 pounds. I know it is a rip off but it is much the same as my VW car service costs. However I have full confidence in the dealer who never quibbles over issues and gives a very personal service. It is a business and they are out to make money when they can. The T Max trade in this year was incredibly good. I guess I just accept those servicing costs are keeping them afloat.

Bugsy

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Sadly, I don't have much confidence in this particular garage at the best of times - I only use them when I feel I have to, to avoid any possible warranty hassles (even if I strictly don't have to go to a franchised dealer). Still, since they are no longer franchised Yamaha dealers, I won't have to go there again.
They even failed to reset the Oil-trip gauge...talk about amateurs.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

I usually go to a unfranchised workshop anyway. Tillstons in Stockton are no longer doing Yamahas. David Sykes in Horden are fine, but its the back of beyond....

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Meldrew wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote:David Sykes in Horden are fine, but its the back of beyond....
I have to agree, when I had my 650 Burgman I rode it over from Cumbria to David Sykes Superbikes for a service and I had to wait around in Horden for a few hours. There's nothing there of interest to do or see, although If I'd wanted a sunbed session or spray tan, or to hire a fancy dress costume I'd have been spoiled for choice,
I'm amazed that you found that much activity there! On a nice day, the coastline is quite attractive but that's about it. And you are pretty well stuck there...there's a railway, but no station, otherwise its an interminable bus ride to the delights of Sunderland, or the rather lesser delights of Hartlepool. One of the better features of Tillstons was that its a £5 taxi ride from home.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

And another thing....I could tell instantly when I picked it up that they'd done something to the tyre pressures but have only just got round to checking them. They are supposed to be 2.25/2.5 (F/R) or 2.25/2.8 for heavy loads, but they'd put them to 2.25/3.0! I thought the ride was a bit harsh and unforgiving! The fact that the front is still 2.25 means that its not a case of my gauge differing from theirs. Its amazing - a motorcycle main dealer you literally cannot trust to check your tyre pressures! :x