Helix - Bad Vibration

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Re: Helix - Bad Vibration

Post by Jimo »

Jaz, I can see where your'e comming from now, the rest of our family live in Menston, when we go up there we take the caravan to a lovely site just past Leeds airport and occasionally eat at Murgatroyds chippie, I'm just over the 15st mark these days but my riding at 80 is much less than it used to be, at one time it was any weather and everywhere, nowadays its sunny but not too hot and then dependent on physical fitness - its not nice is aging I could do without it. My Bridgestone tire should arrive today so I'll investigate fitting possibilities while the sun shines. Wife looks forward to riding the Heilix once again like she did 27 years ago.

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

mottza wrote:Bridgestone battalax seem to grip well and last OK. Rear lasted on mine for 5k.
I'll remember Battalax for the next time thanks.

Jim

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

<script async src="https://imgbb.com/upload.js"></script> I'm still trying to get photos on here....! Pardon my ignorance, ok I give up.

Jim

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

mottza wrote:Bridgestone battalax seem to grip well and last OK. Rear lasted on mine for 5k.
Not available in 10" sadly.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Jimo wrote:<script async src="https://imgbb.com/upload.js"></script> I'm still trying to get photos on here....! Pardon my ignorance, ok I give up.

Jim
I have sent you a private message regarding posting photos.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

Meldrew wrote:
Jaz wrote:
Not available in 10" sadly.
Don't be sad, http://www.tyreleader.co.uk sell the Bridgestone Battlax 110/100-12 Front tyre, and the 120/90-12 Rear tyre for the Helix.
But the Helix rear tire is a 10" I believe! My new front tire is from Tyreleader.co.uk

Jim

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

Well, repairs are well under way, with all new OEM Honda parts supplied by David Silver.com the rollers, clutch shoes and belt have been replaced.... a suspected reason for the vibration was found - clutch shoes are each held in place by a circlip over a locating peg - except that one circlip was missing allowing a clutch shoe to vibrate/oscillate inside the clutch drum, the job I'm now at is replacing a defective ignition switch - a lengthy job because a previous 'Murphy' had dismantled the whole front end - then reassembled it in the wrong order and trapped the ignition switch connector block in a non-standard place necessitating a complete front end strip once again but after the job and reassembly is done the scoot should be good for many further miles.
The 'Glove Locker' has yet to be removed....

Jim

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

While visiting in this area I noted that the coolant level is v low so a new bottle of top-up coolant is on its way....its still too darned hot to work in the garage, praying for some cooler weather as I can't even ride in this heat.

Jim

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

In my younger years I would never jib at any kind of mechanicle work, in fact it was very enjoyable, now however I have to face the reality that at 80 I can't do the things I used to, my intention when buying the Helix was to use it but because it came with no history whatever I deemed it best to carry out basic checks and replacements, at this point I'd intended to replace the ignition switch in conjunction with reading the Honda service manual - except that our friend? Murphy a previous contributor had no book so after his dismantling, reassembled things wrong way round managing to 'lock in' access to the switch, so reluctantly, and in order to get the scoot back on the road I've skipped the replacement.

On my original 1990 Helix it brought me to a halt about 2 miles from home causing me a long push in very hot conditions - and a near heart attack, after getting home the carb was stripped and cleaned to no effect - then as a last resort the plug was renewed - Bingo it worked, but if only I'd adhered to the book and replaced the plug at 4,000 miles instead of 6,800 miles this would not have happened. So now I'm replacing the original plug with an Iridium item that should give a much longer life.

Jim

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

Well, all the planned work on my Helix is done - switch replacement and all! While I was at it I renewed the left rear 'trunk' panel at a cost of £159 because all the tabs on the original were broken. Wifey and I went for an 80 mile round trip last Tuesday (when I had the OFF), absolutely no damage to the scoot but my back is telling me something is out of place - walking is def out! But no more bad vibes from the scoot, rear wheel is off at moment waiting for new Bridgestone ML16 to arive from Japan in couple of days...The Japs don't hang about on deliveries do they!
Its really good to have the Helix running so well after a dubious start, its a lovely bike.

Jim