Tow bar/hitch

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Scootypuff snr

Tow bar/hitch

Post by Scootypuff snr »

OK an open question (before I go to that American forum) :D

Has anybody had/used a tow bar. I've seen trailers on Goldwings & the odd abstract bike over the years but never spoken to anybody in depth about one.

If yes are they a bespoke item,where do you buy one.

Reason? as we are back to a 1 car household I'd like to attach a trailer ( the next question to ask) for putting the dogs in to travel further afield.

I'm aware a quad does/ made for such but cost a fortune and liable to get nicked whilst walking in the woods (aware a solo is vulnerable also but not as appealing to pikeys)

I'm also aware I can get a ropey car for £250/500 with a years ticket but it does away with the essence of different/adventure.

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Re: Tow bar/hitch

Post by The Bern »

I forget which page it's on, but it does say in the owners manual that the SilverWing is not designed to tow a trailer, that said there is an American firm that makes them, but what's legal over there quite often differs from over here.
Have wheels, will travel :D

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I recall reading an article in an ancient edition of Twist&Go about trailers. It seemed that almost any scoot can tow a trailer (can't see why a Silverwing can't). Perhaps if you found out who makes trailers, they'd have some advice about who and where to get tow bars fitted.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

My SH300 manual says no towing. So that might be a warranty issue.

Drago
Benefactor
Current Ride: SYM Mask 125

Post by Drago »

Rules for towing trailers behind motorcycles/scooters here.

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-motorcycle
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

I seem to remember a bit about them in one of the comics, the hich was just bolted through the body panels on a Vespa I think, I didn't think it the best of fixings.

http://pbmotorcycletrailer.com/pet-haul ... -trailers/
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

The Bern
Benefactor

Post by The Bern »

Meldrew wrote:
The Bern wrote:I forget which page it's on, but it does say in the owners manual that the SilverWing is not designed to tow a trailer, that said there is an American firm that makes them, but what's legal over there quite often differs from over here.
Page 6 bud, it says not to pull a trailer or sidecar with the scooter, and that it wasn't designed for these attatchments. Adding that their use can seriously impair the scooter's handling.

Having said that owners do fit sidecars and trailer hitches to Silver Wing, and in the States of course car tyres too. I spotted three or four trailer towing bikes out in Yorkshire on Sunday, they all looked as if they'd been attending a rally somewhere.

I remember when it became legal to tow a trailer with a motorcycle years ago, it became another category on a Full Licence. I also vaguely remember letters in bike mags a few years ago from riders complaining they'd renewed their photo licences and the trailer towing category had been taken off.

It's another one of these grey areas that insurers love to exploit to avoid paying out in the event of an accident.
Cheers bud icon_thumbs_up.gif

Another area to consider is that the bulk of SilverWing 'hitches bolt to the swinging arm, not a good idea as the towed weight is directly applied to the swinging arm pivot points in a plane that they were not designed to work (lateral not radial), the only hitch I've seen pictures of that's fixed to the chassis is not overly strong & used the top shock absorber mount both sides & the exhaust mounting point as 'triangulation, there was a third option of a 'drop plate' inside the mudguard that was welded direct to the frame under the seat & triangulated back to the upper shocker mounts with bolted on braces. None of these options are manufacturer approved & as such could void your insurance policy

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

I knew someone that had a trailer on a Piaggio X9.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

The Bern
Benefactor

Post by The Bern »

mottza wrote:I knew someone that had a trailer on a Piaggio X9.
I'm not saying it can't be done bud, in fact I know there was a guy in Nottingham who had a trailer on his SilverWing, I'm just debating the wisdom of doing something that the manufacturer expressly advises against.
If you were an insurer & a claim was made against you by a policy holder who had modified his vehicle contrary to the manufacturers advice, would you pay out ?

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

mottza wrote:I knew someone that had a trailer on a Piaggio X9.
Yes, a chap called Jim Crowther.
It was made by a company in Norfolk.
He rode his X9 up there and they fabricated it while he waited.
I'll try to find the details but it won't be until later.
I think they're on the X9OC website.
He towed quite a large trailer with it.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch