What gear do you wear?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

What gear do you wear?

Post by defscoot »

A few months ago when I started to learn to ride, a friend took me to a shop and I bought all the clothing I needed for riding the bike (and a bigger bike beyond). So I got Motorcycle boots, leggings with armour, coat, back armour, winter and summer gloves and a helmet.

Whenever I go out on the CB125F I always fully gear up because usually I'm going out for a longish ride (2 to 3 hours etc).

So I don't use the bike for going to the shops etc.

When I get the scooter I will gear up for rides out as I would on any bike but now that I'll have storage I'll use it for popping to the shops also.

For such short (and max 30mph) journeys, do you fully gear up? Or just coat, helmet and gloves?

Deleted User 4154

Re: What gear do you wear?

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

defscoot wrote:For such short (and max 30mph) journeys, do you fully gear up? Or just coat, helmet and gloves?
I do, yeah - leather jacket, Kevlar jeans, boots and gloves every time.

defscoot

Post by defscoot »

Jaz wrote:
defscoot wrote:For such short (and max 30mph) journeys, do you fully gear up? Or just coat, helmet and gloves?
I do, yeah - leather jacket, Kevlar jeans, boots and gloves every time.
Good to know, thanks.

I guess even at 25mph you could get hit and dragged along the road.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

defscoot you state "I guess even at 25mph you could get hit ". If you were hit by someone doing 30mph that's a combined speed of 55mph. Do you really fancy that wearing "just coat, helmet and gloves"?
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

defscoot

Post by defscoot »

muddyfox wrote:defscoot you state "I guess even at 25mph you could get hit ". If you were hit by someone doing 30mph that's a combined speed of 55mph. Do you really fancy that wearing "just coat, helmet and gloves"?
No, good point.

When I said I coat, I meant full armoured jacket, it was mainly the leggings part I was curious about.

But it looks like, get geared up at all times.

Drago
Benefactor
Current Ride: SYM Mask 125

Post by Drago »

I wear all the gear all the time. Regarding trousers. I've had a few offs over the years. All at low speed 10-20mph. In all case it was always my legs/knees that hit the ground the hardest. All my offs bear one being when I was 16-17 and wearing 'normal' trousers. Which resulted in bruises and pain in the knees for a few days. My last off (after 12years) was last year on some oil at about 15-20mph was again on the knees with armoured jeans. Again they ached a little for a few hours but that was it as opposed to several days and with bruises with 'normal' trousers.

So I personally would always wear the whole gear, even if just popping to the shops. Disaster can strike at any time, any place and any speed.
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

Bike Jacket, trousers, gloves and boots (although they are just safety boots) all the time.

I've had an off on black ice - at about 30mph sliding down a hill on my arse my gortex trousers and I were fine. I think without them I'd have had needed hospital treatment, not to mention the humiliation of the arse being torn out of my trousers!

The kevlar lined jeans with armour can be good for the summer - my pair are a size too big so I can wear shorts underneath and change at my destination.

Google de-gloving injuries if your unsure of whether to wear boots every trip!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I invariably wear Kevlar lined jeans on all rides, plus either bike textile or leather armoured jacket. Obviously, a topbox is handy to stash the jacket at stops! Footwear is more varied - I don't wear normal shoes, and certainly not trainers, but otherwise a variety of boots. To an extent it depends on whether I will be walking at stops.

sad vampire
Current Ride: NC750 DCT+Aprilia Atlantic 500

Post by sad vampire »

2 types of injury, abrasive & impact.
Abrasive injuries are avoided by the fabric you wear, so leather, kevlar, thick waxed cotton, etc. The amount of fabric needed relates to how much abrasion you may get, which of course relates to the surface you slide over & for how long.

Impact injuries are mitigated by the padding & armour, & you can decide on just how much you are likely to need.

The worst injuries are usually when you hit something & stop suddenly, perhaps a lamppost, perhaps a tree, etc. The impact from hitting the ground isn't so great as you're not riding that far off the ground (hopefully).

If your helmet suffers even a low velocity impact then replace it (dropping it included here).

I've only had one very slow speed off at about 5mph on a very slippery surface. I bruised a hip & shoulder, the hip was worse as my leathers had no hip armour. The shoulder was fine after a couple of days as I had armour. At 5mph my leathers sustained only a minor scratch.

Best advice I can give you is to avoid coming off the bike by avoiding all possible dangers, but you'll still find something that surprises you & that's usually on the shortest of journeys. So wear All The Gear All The Time (ATGATT).

defscoot

Post by defscoot »

sad vampire wrote:2 types of injury, abrasive & impact.
Abrasive injuries are avoided by the fabric you wear, so leather, kevlar, thick waxed cotton, etc. The amount of fabric needed relates to how much abrasion you may get, which of course relates to the surface you slide over & for how long.

Impact injuries are mitigated by the padding & armour, & you can decide on just how much you are likely to need.

The worst injuries are usually when you hit something & stop suddenly, perhaps a lamppost, perhaps a tree, etc. The impact from hitting the ground isn't so great as you're not riding that far off the ground (hopefully).

If your helmet suffers even a low velocity impact then replace it (dropping it included here).

I've only had one very slow speed off at about 5mph on a very slippery surface. I bruised a hip & shoulder, the hip was worse as my leathers had no hip armour. The shoulder was fine after a couple of days as I had armour. At 5mph my leathers sustained only a minor scratch.

Best advice I can give you is to avoid coming off the bike by avoiding all possible dangers, but you'll still find something that surprises you & that's usually on the shortest of journeys. So wear All The Gear All The Time (ATGATT).
Thanks for that vampire, very good advice.

"So wear All The Gear All The Time (ATGATT)" - I certainly will. Ta