What gear do you wear?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Re: What gear do you wear?

Post by rayb »

I found, whilst sailing dinghies, that a buoyancy aid protected the upper torso from a lot of bumps and bangs and they have great insulation properties. I'm considering wearing mine in the winter. Might also come in handy if there's a flash flood.

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

While any 'off' will cause some sort of injury I ride lightly protected - for comfort! I'm now 80 and unlike in yesteryears find difficulty in bending and even walking.....but my bike is my saviour, riding gear has come on leaps and bounds in the last 20 years or so, many 'armoured suits' are fitted with knobblies at limb joints designed to contact the road first - depending on how one rides.
I simply couldn't get into such a suit even supposing I could afford one, my riding is defensive to the extreme, so in my opinion I don't require all this 'boy racer' gear, but I do wear an armoured reflective jacket and leather gloves and have recently bought new Shoei helmets for wifey and I for a cost equal to several new bikes! Unlike the typical 'boy racer' my knees don't touch the ground on corners or bends as is often depicted on sales adverts.
Each to his own way of riding - being kitted up to the nines is almost the norm found at a road traffic accident site - because the rider's clothing provided him/her with a false sence of security and impregnabitity.

- and Yes, I've had a few offs in my 65 years of motorcycling!

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

I would recommend reinforced jeans with knee and hip pads.They don't impede movement, are quite comfortable and will protect the bits than can get hurt most.

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

D30 Armour is soft and squidgy for comfort but firms up at impact (non-newtonian). Use that for comfort if you can, its superb.

Summer scooting/riding, I wear an old pair of Draggin Kevlar jeans, alpinestars leather gloves, Richa goretex ankle boots, armoured jacket and my BMW (Schuberth) flip-front lid. In winter its my Daytona roadstar GTX boots and BMW Streetguard suit (which is V. expensive but top quality).

My future kit purchase will probably be Roadskinz jeans and hoodie for spring and autumn or cool dry days.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Pukmeister wrote:...My future kit purchase will probably be Roadskinz jeans and hoodie for spring and autumn or cool dry days.
Think i'm a little to old for a Hoodie!

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

XMax400Paul wrote:
Pukmeister wrote:...My future kit purchase will probably be Roadskinz jeans and hoodie for spring and autumn or cool dry days.
Think i'm a little to old for a Hoodie!
You probably are mate, but I'm still a mere youth at 52.

defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by defscoot »

I'm 43, does that mean I'm a young whippersnapper on this forum? :-D

My body feels like 65 though.

defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by defscoot »

Jimo wrote:While any 'off' will cause some sort of injury I ride lightly protected - for comfort! I'm now 80 and unlike in yesteryears find difficulty in bending and even walking.....but my bike is my saviour, riding gear has come on leaps and bounds in the last 20 years or so, many 'armoured suits' are fitted with knobblies at limb joints designed to contact the road first - depending on how one rides.
I simply couldn't get into such a suit even supposing I could afford one, my riding is defensive to the extreme, so in my opinion I don't require all this 'boy racer' gear, but I do wear an armoured reflective jacket and leather gloves and have recently bought new Shoei helmets for wifey and I for a cost equal to several new bikes! Unlike the typical 'boy racer' my knees don't touch the ground on corners or bends as is often depicted on sales adverts.
Each to his own way of riding - being kitted up to the nines is almost the norm found at a road traffic accident site - because the rider's clothing provided him/her with a false sence of security and impregnabitity.

- and Yes, I've had a few offs in my 65 years of motorcycling!

Jim
Great to hear you're still riding at 80, I hope I am!

I also ride very defensively but I still know that one day someone is going to pull out on me or something similar.

Because it's currently hot I am wearing a mesh textile armoured jacket, I also have found kevlar jeans very comfortable (even in this hot weather).

Summer gloves and a modular helmet which I sometimes flip up into the locked position in towns (20mph).

Also big motorcycle boots which aren't that good in high temps but offer good protection, they also hide the fact that the jeans are 5 inches too long on the leg and turned up! :-D

Z750Jay
Current Ride: Vstrom 1000

Post by Z750Jay »

Most of the time for short trips under an hour its my more battered helmet, Belstaff copy jacket, HD style gloves, cargo pants and walking boots. Longer trips I swap the jacket over to my touring textile and less battered lid as both have more venting.
If the weather is wet for short trips I add walkers overtrousers, long swap over to waterproof Alpine Stars boots and textile trousers. Hot weather like we have currently I normally stow the jacket and ride slower and more car like. All my jackets etc have had the armour removed as I find it is uncomfortable and too loose to be of any use.
I ride most days and in all weathers (about 380,000 miles on bikes over 22+ years of riding). If I was worried about every small risk I would stick with driving cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk